Black Licorice benefits? Where to purchase?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
1. I read somewhere that if you eat one piece of black licorice a day, it has some medicinal or vitamin benefits. I lost the article, so maybe someone out there can fill us in on this.
2. Does anyone know of a really great brand of black licorice. Since I never can find anything of excellent type at Walgreens, CVS, Target and so forth, I know I will probably have to get it thru the mail. But what are some really excellent pure black licorice brands that taste good? Anyone know?

Benefits? I couldn't find ANY benefits. Unless you have LOW blood pressure, or too much testosterone, I guess. Or you are in need of a candy flavored expectorant.

Some people use a small amount of licorice root as a flavoring in dark stout beers. I seem to remember warnings against too much , that it can give you the 'runs'., but I don't see those warnings here.

So, who says it is good for you?

-ERD50

Up Close & Edible: Licorice - To Your Health - MSNBC.com

According to the National Institutes of Health, licorice has been linked to salt and water retention and low potassium levels. It can also cause an increase in levels of cortisol, a hormone linked to high blood pressure. Some research suggests it may even cause preterm labor. To top it off, licorice may not be good for the libido. Hormonal imbalances have been reported with the use of licorice, such as abnormally low testosterone levels in men.
Liquorice candy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Health effects

The liquorice-root extract contains the natural sweetener glycyrrhizin that is over 50 times sweeter than sucrose. This ingredient has various pharmaceutical properties, the most important ones being that it acts as an expectorant (facilitating removal of mucus from the lungs by coughing) and that it increases the blood pressure. The latter effect can become significant with a daily consumption of 50 g or more of liquorice candy.[3]

I like black licorice made by Panda. You can get it at Trader Joe's. I'm pretty sure I've seen it at drug stores like Long's and Walgreens. I like it because it has a good strong licorice flavor.

I love candy (see related pancreas transplant thread!) , especially licorice. I also vote for Panda brand. I have seen it raise my blood pressure when I ate a real lot so I don't eat it so much any more.

Mike D.

Oh, how I do wish I had kept that article on licorice. It said to eat one piece a day. Now for what? I cannot remember.

Old trick to avoid military service, especially popular during the late 60's: eat tons of licorice for a week before your draft physical, show up with high blood pressure, get a medical deferral.

Apocryphal, but word was that they got wise to it and would routinely draft kids with high BP, watch them for a week (on military food only) and then discharge the ones whose blood pressure stayed high.

Old trick to avoid military service, especially popular during the late 60's: eat tons of licorice for a week before your draft physical, show up with high blood pressure, get a medical deferral.

Apocryphal, but word was that they got wise to it and would routinely draft kids with high BP, watch them for a week (on military food only) and then discharge the ones whose blood pressure stayed high.
I used to hear that about Soy Sauce.

2. Does anyone know of a really great brand of black licorice. Since I never can find anything of excellent type at Walgreens, CVS, Target and so forth, I know I will probably have to get it thru the mail. But what are some really excellent pure black licorice brands that taste good? Anyone know?

Try your local health food store. They should have the good stuff.

Good and licorice should not be used in the same sentence...
yuck.gif

As a kid I like to eat black and red licorice together. Favorite was Red Vines brand - the staler the better. ^-^

Back
Top Bottom