Bought Allianz annuity and want OUT

Crackle

Confused about dryer sheets
I signed up the for the Allianz Endurance 15 annuity on Monday, October 22nd and it was setup on the 24th. Signed the receipt last night - the 20-day free look period should officially begin today. I plan to send (fax) notice of my decision to opt out within the next couple of business days . . however, I want to know that they actually receive the notice. Is there a recommended strategy for confirming this? Simply call back a day later or something? :confused:

Thanks

Yes, you definitely want proof that you've requested out within the alloted window.

I think you'd be covered by sending them a registered letter, "Return Receipt Requested." The paperwork is available in the post office. Make a copy of what you sent them and keep it with the receipt you get for the registered letter. In addition, I believe you can now track the fact that your addressee has received the letter via a web page. When they have received your letter, print out the page and put it with your other papers.

You've done yourself a terrific service by catching this in time. Congratulations. Now, don't let up until everything is finished and you've got acknowledgment from them that you've severed your contract.

You have 20 days, so I wouldn't merely fax it -- make it official and bulletproof i na way that they can't deny receipt. I'd mail registered or certified with return receipt. If I faxed anything, it would just be an unofficial letter stating my intent to cancel and that the formal request was to come via registered/certified mail in the next few days.

Thanks. They are asking me to fax the notice to their 'policy holder benefits' department. I'm not sure how I can track that unless I ask them to send me a confirmation fax back or something. :confused:

Otherwise, maybe sending a registered letter is the way to go.

Thanks. They are asking me to fax the notice to their 'policy holder benefits' department. I'm not sure how I can track that unless I ask them to send me a confirmation fax back or something. :confused:

Why take any chances? Do both.

I doubt it's either/or. I'd use every communication mechanism available to me until my request to cancel was acknowledged and my money was returned to me.

You have 20 days, so I wouldn't merely fax it -- make it official and bulletproof i na way that they can't deny receipt. I'd mail registered or certified with return receipt. If I faxed anything, it would just be an unofficial letter stating my intent to cancel and that the formal request was to come via registered/certified mail in the next few days.

I think I'll take that suggestion. :)

Would it be ok to send the opt-out notice by both fax AND registered/ceritified mail? Or does the less specific intent-to-cancel letter by fax seem more appropriate?

I seriously appreciate your help with this!

Everyone,

Thank you for your recommendations. I will handle this appropriately.

Your fax machine should also be able to print out a report showing the fax date, phone number, number of pages, and status of the transmission. That plus a registered letter receipt should do the trick.

Note that some financial institutions (like vanguard) have one address for regular mail and a different one for registered/overnight type documents. Make sure you send to the right one.

Note that some financial institutions (like vanguard) have one address for regular mail and a different one for registered/overnight type documents. Make sure you send to the right one.

I was wondering about that . . . I confirmed their mailing address is a PO Box but I'm not sure that's right for registered. Will confirm again.

Make sure you cover ALL bases: Registered & certified mail, regular mail to each mailing address (including the PO box), fax with printout of fax transmission, telephone call with name/date of notification.

It is in their best interest to deny ever receiving your opt-out paperwork, or to claim it was tardy.

Making the opt out a Pain-in-the-A$$ for you all works in their favor.

So far I have only been given one mailing address. I will confirm that there's not a secondary for registered / overnight. It's my understanding that they will not accept the opt-out over the phone. It must be faxed-in. I CAN try to get the voice number to the 'policy holder benefits' dept. to discuss further.

I'm also wondering what kind of trouble I might have getting them to write the check back to me. I'm sure it is miniscule to them but I'm dealing with 15K.

I signed up the for the Allianz Endurance 15 annuity

Crackle, is it the Allianz Life Ins Co of North America? In Minneapolis? PO Box 1344? If so, I found this address under their "Legal Notes" at the bottom of their webpage:

Allianz
5701 Golden Hills Drive
Minneapolis, MN 55416-1297

It states:

General contact information
If you have any questions about these Terms of Use, the practices of this Web site, or your dealings with this Web site, you may contact us by sending a letter via the U.S. mail to:

Allianz
5701 Golden Hills Drive
Minneapolis, MN 55416-1297

Hope this helps.
Goonie

Send it the way the annuity contract says you should send the notice. (plus do the fax)

I stand corrected. As His Bunnyness points out, you can mail to a PO Box and get a signature of receipt. Not that I'd trust the frickin' USPS to deliver anything if I had any other reasonable alternative....

Bleached, chigger bitten bones of the last 3 USPS delivery people still littering your neighborhood?

Certified letters

Remember in really important matters a certified/registered letter does not prove anything except that you sent a certified/registered envelope. It could be empty or have dog doo doo in it. You have to follow certain steps like typing the receipt # on the enclosures and making copies, etc.

Remember in really important matters a certified/registered letter does not prove anything except that you sent a certified/registered envelope. It could be empty or have dog doo doo in it. You have to follow certain steps like typing the receipt # on the enclosures and making copies, etc.

What receipt number should be on the enclosures? What should be copied?

Good luck with this. I can assure you the fax will get "lost." I agree with the multiple forms of documented delivery. It sounds like you have some time so follow up the first round with a second round before the end of the 20 days, if you don't have your money back, but send a copy to your state's insurance commissioner. It's amazing how that will improve the insurance company's paperwork.

Annuities are disasters. I try to convince people here about how they aren't what they think they are but I'm frequently insulted and talked down to. I'm glad you've seen the error of your ways and I wish you success in unwinding it.

I was wondering about that . . . I confirmed their mailing address is a PO Box but I'm not sure that's right for registered. Will confirm again.
A P.O. Box will work for USPS registered mail, but not Fedex/UPS/etc.

It could be empty or have dog doo doo in it.

The dog poop could be a good option, but I recommend that for a later mailing. And heres where we strike a problem...ups and fed ex have services that will light the poo package on fire, put it on the doorstop and run away after ringing the bell. I'm pretty sure the USPS wont do that. And such a delivery to a PO box would obviously have a far lesser value than a physical address.

Hmm. What to do?

Use every commmunications method known to man. Registered mail return receipt requested (if in doubt about one of two addresses, send to both); first class mail; fax and email. The cost of doing all this is small compared to the cost of being stuck with the product. Maybe even fedex or ups.

Back
Top Bottom