I'm staying home and saving over 4 tons of CO2

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Seems like all of this could be done over the internet and saved everyone a lot of time/trouble/CO2. Two weeks in Bali in the dead of winter...why not 2 weeks in Fairbanks, Alaska?

The delegates each will produce an average 4.07 metric tons of carbon dioxide, or CO2, to reach the resort island 950 kilometers (600 miles) from Jakarta, according to estimates e- mailed to Bloomberg by the UN agency holding the conference.

Bloomberg.com: Special Report

Seems like all of this could be done over the internet and saved everyone a lot of time/trouble/CO2. Two weeks in Bali in the dead of winter...why not 2 weeks in Fairbanks, Alaska?

Apparently the amount of pollution made to fly all the global warming folks there is the same as the pollution emitted by 20,000 CARS for a YEAR.............:eek:

Nice going, Mr, Gore.............:D:D

it takes money to make money. i'm not sure if that applies; i just felt like saying it.

They're really asking for criticism by going to a resort for this meeting, but these large scientific meetings aren't easy to hold over the internet or by teleconferencing. I know a few scientists who hate going to meetings but acknowledge that it's necessary.

better to have a global warming conference at a more convenient mountaintop resort?

[SIZE=+2]Climate change may wipe some Indonesian islands off map[/SIZE]
By Sugita Katyal and Adhityani Arga

JAKARTA (Reuters) - Many of Indonesia's islands may be swallowed up by the sea if world leaders fail to find a way to halt rising sea levels at this week's climate change conference on the resort island of Bali. Doomsters take this dire warning by Indonesian scientists a step further and predict that by 2035, the Indonesian capital's airport will be flooded by sea water and rendered useless; and by 2080, the tide will be lapping at the steps of Jakarta's imposing Dutch-era Presidential palace which sits 10 km inland (about 6 miles).

NUSA DUA, INDONESIA: Indonesia and five other countries within the Asia and Pacific regions announced Thursday (6 Dec) they will propose a huge global contribution from their marine and coral reefs to absorb carbon, to be taken into account as a carbon sink within the climate change protocol.
On the sidelines of the UN climate change conference here Thursday, officials from Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Timor Leste and the Solomon Islands underlined the importance of the coral triangle area’s absorption of around 245 million tons of carbon per year to the world’s survival.

JAKARTA, Dec 6 (Bernama) -- Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Fredy Numberi said that to date Indonesia had lost 24 small islands because of tidal waves, tsunami, exploitation and abrasion.

Speaking on the sidelines of a function to observe the 27th World Food Day at Way Halim square in Bandar Lampung on Wednesday, Fredy said earthquakes and other natural disasters had also contributed to the loss of the islands.

"Indonesia is prone to natural disasters and earthquakes," ANTARA news agency quoted Fredy as saying.

etc. etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom