Health / Emotional affects after ER

Finance Dave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi, relatively infrequent visitor here...

I plan to ER in 5-7 years depending on market performance at about age 53. Today I'm in a high-stress, demanding corporate business role working 55 hours/week, lots of deadlines, late nights, some weekends, demanding bosses, and getting assignments I don't care much for. The core part of the job I like...but all the "add ons" are not so much fun (like performance reviews).

Over the 10 years I've been in such roles, I've noticed some health/emotional downsides to it...such as headaches, trouble sleeping at times, frustration, joint pain, increase in illnesses (gout, skin rashes, GERD, etc.). Of course I can't say these things were directly caused by my work...but I'm wondering if I were to ER and get rid of all the stress and time pressures whether my health would improve and I'd feel emotionally happier.

I'm looking for opinions from those who have ER'd recently to see how such things changed for you. Did your relationships with family improve? Did you feel more relaxed? Happier? Healthier? Laugh more?

Thanks,

Dave

I'm looking for opinions from those who have ER'd recently to see how such things changed for you. Did your relationships with family improve? Did you feel more relaxed? Happier? Healthier? Laugh more?

More relaxed--yes.

Healthier---yes, as I then had time (and energy) to get on a regular exercise routine at the gym. As I lost a bit of weight, that inspired me to watch my diet more too, and the pounds, bloodpressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc all dropped like rocks. I got so I missed the exerecise if I had to skip a day or two at the gym. In a way I got "addicted" to the "exercise high" I felt after a good workout, capped by sitting in the hot whirlpool spa.

Happier---YES!:D

Started taking afternoon or early evening naps when I felt like it---yes.:yawn:

ER? I highly recommend it:LOL:

Hi, relatively infrequent visitor here...

I plan to ER in 5-7 years depending on market performance at about age 53. Today I'm in a high-stress, demanding corporate business role working 55 hours/week, lots of deadlines, late nights, some weekends, demanding bosses, and getting assignments I don't care much for. The core part of the job I like...but all the "add ons" are not so much fun (like performance reviews).

Over the 10 years I've been in such roles, I've noticed some health/emotional downsides to it...such as headaches, trouble sleeping at times, frustration, joint pain, increase in illnesses (gout, skin rashes, GERD, etc.). Of course I can't say these things were directly caused by my work...but I'm wondering if I were to ER and get rid of all the stress and time pressures whether my health would improve and I'd feel emotionally happier.

They will probably all go away.

Thanks,

Dave

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Last edited:
Stress level went way down...I did miss the things I liked about work and that took a while to adjust to. Allergies got much better. Visits to the doctor went way down...almost never! We stay busy doing what we enjoy. Family (siblings, parents)...well they weren't too happy at first, but they adjusted to our new lifestyle. Kids were finished with education and on their own and they thought it was interesting...now they are busy working toward early retirement. Happier, healthier, laugh more...yes, yes, yes.

I'm sure your perceptible stress level will go down.

However, retirement, itself, is a significant source of stress. I remember reading that there is a striking increase in deaths within the first 3 years of retirement, even adjusted for age.

From my reading, having reasonable plans, reasonable assessments of your financial status, and a hobby or goal for your activities is very important. The stress of going from being "somebody" to a "nobody" is signficant.

I'm looking for opinions from those who have ER'd recently to see how such things changed for you.

"Did your relationships with family improve?" - Yep! We have more time to do stuff, and enjoy each other's company. Also have more time to spend doing stuff separately!

"Did you feel more relaxed?" - Heck, YEAH!!! No time schedules set-in-stone! Don't have to dread Monday mornings! Don't have to get everything done on weekends only! I do what I want to, when I want to......IF I want to! I can take take breaks from the action ANY time I want to! I can ALWAYS find time for a siesta! Doing yard work, landscaping, and gardening are all much more relaxing now....I have time to stop and smell the roses, and munch on the veggies!

"Happier?" - ECSTATIC!!!
jumping-smiley-019.gif

Healthier? Far less physical aches and pains! I feel absolutely GREAT! I haven't felt this good in YEARS!!! NO stress! NO tension! NO headaches!!! I get about the same, maybe a little more exercise now, but I eat a LOT healthier now.....very little 'fast food', 'junk food', and that sort of thing!

Laugh more? - All the time! Especially about the downhill spiral at my former place of employment...it's going to heck in a hand basket...and I don't care!!!

Plus I now have time to contemplate the funny side of life!

THE ER LIFE IS THE BEST LIFE!!!

Thanks,

Dave

Yes , I feel soooo much more relaxed . It's so freeing to be able to do what you want to do when you want to do it .

I've been retired a month. I'm much happier. I'm eating better. I'm making a point of getting more exercise. Healthier? I don't know, haven't gone in for a medical check up.

Wow

However, retirement, itself, is a significant source of stress. I remember reading that there is a striking increase in deaths within the first 3 years of retirement, even adjusted for age.

From my reading, having reasonable plans, reasonable assessments of your financial status, and a hobby or goal for your activities is very important. The stress of going from being "somebody" to a "nobody" is signficant.
Thank you all for the wonderful responses! I'm looking forward to it. I won't need to worry about being bored, I have many hobbies including cars, woodworking, personal finance, I'd like to write a book, travel, and many other things.

I could probably retire in about 3 years, but I'd not have enough money to pursue those hobbies or to travel...so my plan is set a bit further out.:p

Thanks again,

Dave

Not ERd yet, but have a variety of little ailments that bother me when the stress is bad...GERD, insomnia, tinnitus, achy shoulder and wrist, etc. Doc says all except wrist mainly caused by stress and tension in my case. Nothing lifethreatening it seems, but bothersome. They go away when the stress levels go down but are immediately back as soon as the stress level comes back up. Can't wait for the FIRE to put out the STRESS. (^-~)

R

In scientific studies rats that have control over their lives live 30 to 40% longer than rats that have no control. Make your choice :rolleyes:.

Haven't worn a watch except for flying to Mexico and back since I retired July 1, 2007. Its amazing how that one change helped de stress me from 40 years of w**k.

The sooner you can RE the more time you have for yourself and family. There are only so many grains of sand in each of our hour glasses. When the sand is gone so are you.

I highly recommend the lifestyle :D:D:D

I question whether those with a different experience would be inclined to respond to your post, though my guess would be most here find the removal of work stress to be very freeing and pleasant.

However, if your relationships are strained before ER, that does not mean they will automatically improve after ER. On occasion people have posted here about post-retirement family stresses.

It might be hard for some people who spend most of their time working to cultivate other interests, so don't forget to develop outside interests and friends while you are working.

I question whether those with a different experience would be inclined to respond to your post,
I see what you mean. Feel free to speak up if you experienced otherwise.

It might be hard for some people who spend most of their time working to cultivate other interests, so don't forget to develop outside interests and friends while you are working.
Understood. This won't be an issue for me as I stated earlier. I have hobbies in woodworking, cars, personal finance, travel, and I'd likely try to join some groups in terms of bowling leagues, euchre tourneys, and so on. I love being around people.

Dave

I'm going through this stress now. The 1st 6-8 months of ER was great, but now I see that I need to get "a life"! I love certain strenuous physical activities, but find that I can't do them every day...too much leads to ligament, tendon injury, etc...(the mind is willin', but the body ain't).
I've looked into volunteer work...even a continuing ed. course.

Any sites that you've found helpful for ideas would be appreciated.

koby

I'm going through this stress now. The 1st 6-8 months of ER was great, but now I see that I need to get "a life"! I love certain strenuous physical activities, but find that I can't do them every day...too much leads to ligament, tendon injury, etc...(the mind is willin', but the body ain't).
I've looked into volunteer work...even a continuing ed. course.

Any sites that you've found helpful for ideas would be appreciated.

koby
Could Your Best New Hire Be a "Recareering" Boomer? | workforce.com

Job and Career Resources for Mature and Older Job-Seekers

The Baby Boomer Generation -Trends, Research, Discussion, Comment for Baby Boomers.

Author shares tips on keeping life exciting after retirement -see his top 5 ways to keep life fun

5 tips for preventing stress after retirement

That retirement could be a source of stress is the one that caught me by surprise.

The first year was like being on vacation. My wife and I are much closer than ever before - we have time to talk, which is hard for me to slow down and do. I have to tell myself "I am retired, I am not in a hurry." But then what does one do with all the spare time? I liked building R/C airplanes but for some reason lost interest in it. But that had started before retirement. I did get a small boat, something I'd wanted but never did because water was too far, but I'm not one who can go fishing all day, every day. Good for those who can! And below 60 F I'm not going out on the water anyway.

Like kobydog, too much exercise leads to aches that I never had to deal with before like rotator cuff pain.

But I do not miss having to plan our lives around traffic and making decisions that affected other people's lives. I don't miss having to carry a hazmat suit in the trunk of my car. I do miss friends from work.

So for me it's been kind of a mixed bag, but it's the decision we made, and on whole both of us think that for us it was the right decision at the time. Friends & family say we're both more relaxed. She's adjusted better than me, which is probably why I'm going to go back to work.

I think I just want to have my cake and eat it too.

Walt34,

Interesting that you are going back to work.
I currently do work parttime at my original job (I "cover" when needed). The extra $ is nice, but lately I'm wondering if I should go back fulltime....it was a VERY stressful job, and when I retired it really seemed like the best thing to do!

I wonder if a lot of people get the "retirement blues". Of course, this site is likely biased the other way. I retired at 59...but I would be faced with the same issues even if I retired at an older age. Of course I might not have the same options if I retired at 65 (potentially, because of health reasons).

koby

I am only (almost) 7 months into retirement, but I believe that I can honestly say that it is a MOST POSITIVE change in my life.
Specifically to answer the questions:
Did you feel more relaxed? Happier? Healthier? Laugh more?
I am more relaxed. I have no time related stress because my time is my own. I do not have any time pressures other than those that I put on myself. Ok, sometimes DW has one or two things ... but if it gets onerous, I remind her that I am in NO particular hurry ANYMORE... and that usually helps us get to a 'negotiated' solution (hey retired doesn't mean I'm not 'married' ya know :rolleyes:). I have time to do things that relax me and so I do them. I have the option of disengaging (one thing you can't always do in a w*rk environment) from stressful situations. So DEFINATELY more relaxed.
Happiness I find is a very personal driven characteristic. I have always been a 'half full' type of a person. IMO, I am street smart and a bit of a cynic as well, but am a fairly 'happy go lucky' type. So having less stress and more time to do what I want to and be with who I want to associate with has added to my happiness factor.
I am MUCH more healthier ... but we had started about 20 years ago with a program of more fruits and veggies (on my part, starting from almost zero ... meat, potatoes, bacon, eggs, ...etc., to me, veggies were a garnish on the plate). At 50, my (new) Dr. gave me a 'kick in the butt'. He said my blood pressure, weight, and cholesteral were all marginal. I would have to start drugs for life if I didn't change my lifestyle. So I got into really trying to change. I dropped 10 pounds, halved my cholesteral, and bp is back into normal (for an old fart) range. I developed 'work related' back problems about 3 years ago. I now have time to do the required exercises, take the necessary walks (up to 2 miles on a good day) to resolve. I am progressively getting better. It took 5 or so years to mess up the back, so it will take some time to fix it.
Don't know about laughing more. I laughed enough before, I think. I just had one of my DW, nieces, husband comment on me not 'acting my age'. It was a very positive comment ... in line with ' ... you don't act like an old f*rt). ... but I do know that I am enjoying lfe more. I have enough time to reflect upon things I had seen and heard during the day.

IMO, all of this relaxed? Happier? Healthier? Laugh more? is related to your outlook on life. I am not a 'Pollyanna'. I actually have very low expectations from people (cynic in me). However, on the plus side, people always meet or exceed my expectations :rolleyes:. So I don't get stressed as much, I am more apt to be ok with whatever is going on.
One thing that also helps is my ability to 'bucketize' things into 'important' and 'not important'. As I get older (and related to when I was w*rking, as I got closer to my planned retirement), a lot of things fell off of my important list and got put on the not important list. So I don't get excited or mad or stress over many things I used to. This adds to the relaxed, happier, healthier state.

Will this change as time goes on? I see some evidence (on this forum) that it does for some. I think I won't be one of them, but we will see.
I do know that having this forum to disclose, debate, learn, and share helps alot. For that I thank everyone. :D

Last edited:
Most people on this forum can tell you their investment mix and returns since 2001 (or earlier).

I can tell you the results of all components of my blood tests since July 2001, when I was diagnosed as diabetic, since I keep my test results on a spreadsheet.

Even though I made an effort to get "things under control" from 2001 to when I retired (2007), I find my ability to control my diabetes is much easier since I'm retired.

I'm one of the "lucky ones" who can manage the condition with diet/exercise (yes, I know diabetes does progress, and I'll be on to the meds/insulin in the future).

However, since I've retired, the results of my blood tests (also related to heart) have remained easier to keep "in the zone".

Why? By my retirement lifestyle. I exercise more (2 miles, 5 days/week on the treadmill during my wor**ing years, 5 miles, 7 days/week now).

My diet is much better (no cafeteria/fast food). Additionally rather than large meals, I tend to eat small portions throughout the day, which keeps my glucose levels on an "even keel".

As those that are diabetic know, stress is a great impact to keeping your levels at an acceptable level. Since I've retired, my stress levels have been greatly reduced. How do I know? I have a smile on my face every day :D - something that was quite infrequent in the work-a-day world.

I'm living proof (and I have the records to back it up) that retirement is good for you, in a "health sense".

Additionally, I do some "good works" (deliver meals to shut-ins, 2 days a week). It's something that I want to do, not have to do, and it also improves my outlook since it shows me that I have a lot to be thankful for. Additionally, I give blood every 8 weeks. Something I could/should have done when I was wor**ing, but never found the time.

Life is good... :rolleyes:

- Ron

Don't forget that quite a few folks 'retire early' not because they can, but because they are unable to continue working, often for medical reasons. This is very common for 'early retirees' in their late 50's to early 60's. I'd expect to see a higher mortality rate in this group.

Where a wide range of people (not self-selected) have been forced to retire early, as by large plant closings, the health of early retirees does not seem to be adversely affected by sudden job loss and unexpected retirement. The largest risk appears to be risks from lack of medical care and depletion of resources, including funds.

Read

I am not yet ER, but I am FI and I have been spending a lot of time considering the non-financial aspects of retiring lately. Found reading How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free (Zelinkski, repetitive but good content IMO) and Work Less, Live More (Clyatt) to be a thought provoking way for me to consider how ready I will be to adjust. I'd recommend either, and there are undoubtedly others. I also read The New Retirement and Don't Retire, Rewire and didn't think they were as helpful. Best of luck...

When I was working I found that on long vacations of 3 weeks or more I was sleeping a lot better. That was a clue that I was stressed out a bit even though I had a fairly low stress job.

After retirement I think I probably sleep a little better now especially in the winter when it's cool and the daylight doesn't wake me. I still find that I tend to sleep better on vacation from home. My interpretation is that the little things like watching the news, reading newpapers & magazines, checking finances, paying bills, etc. are still a mild source of stress. I'm sure not everyone reacts the same way.

Back
Top Bottom