Who Invented the Internet

"I took the initiative in creating the internet" Al Gore
"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" the Bible

Both right-wing lies repeated over and over until people believed it?

Or were you making a funny?

It works. Count me irritated.

Haven't Republicans got better things to do than attack a candidate from EIGHT YEARS AGO? [ooops.. just looked at the R candidate lineup.. guess not]. Are the Democrats wasting time on Bob-Dole-bashing? Sheesh. Give it a rest.

It works. Count me irritated.

How about the "Al Gore Cost Recovery tax", is that a figment of my imagination?

It appears not, I seem to be paying that tax to the phone company every month..........

I don't care if he invented the Internet or not, his tax is making his phone company buddies rich............:D

Here's a prime example of a thread that should be shot in the face.

Old news, incorrect assumptions, misstatements, no value, no new learning, nothing remotely worth discussing to create any interesting new perspective.

Like I said, you know it when you see it.

Just something designed to piss off 48-52% of the readers.

OK, I read the article. I knew some of the stuff but I found the chronological order of when things were created interesting. I also followed the 'Related Question: I thought Al Gore invented the Internet'

The following is a quote from that link:
A term coined by Vice President Albert Gore when giving a speech January 11, 1994 to describe a future of computers accessing and communicating over a world-wide network. Later during a CNN interview, Gore stated "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." This statement helped spark the belief that Al Gore invented the Internet.

So Al did not say he invented the INTERNET, but he sure appears to be taking credit for helping to create it, unless this is miss-quoted

Here's a prime example of a thread that should be shot in the face.

Old news, incorrect assumptions, misstatements, no value, no new learning, nothing remotely worth discussing to create any interesting new perspective.

Like I said, you know it when you see it.

Just something designed to piss off 48-52% of the readers.

You got it right, CFB..........:)

Agreed everything after post 1, so far, has little value. However, the link in post 1 is a good history of how this thing came about.

OK, I read the article. I knew some of the stuff but I found the chronological order of when things were created interesting. I also followed the 'Related Question: I thought Al Gore invented the Internet'

The following is a quote from that link:
A term coined by Vice President Albert Gore when giving a speech January 11, 1994 to describe a future of computers accessing and communicating over a world-wide network. Later during a CNN interview, Gore stated "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." This statement helped spark the belief that Al Gore invented the Internet.

So Al did not say he invented the INTERNET, but he sure appears to be taking credit for helping to create it, unless this is miss-quoted

Yeah, and a decade or more ago Biden plagarized a speech and when i was a kid i was caught shoplifting a squirtgun. So are these all critical data points to be kept front and center?

Noooo but Algore's call for a carbon tax on all the rich countries is a bit much considering his life style >:D>:D>:D. After all if he advocates most of the modern word returning to energy consumption levels of the 19th century to reduce C02 he should be setting the example as opposed to his consumption of resources by flying around in his jet and living in a house that consumes massive amounts of energy. Buying carbon offsets is bogus just live the life style you preach for the rest of us.

Oh yea I forgot he"s a liberal he doesn't have to do as he says because he's better than the rest of us.

one of these days I'll tell you how I really feel :D:D:D

Noooo but Algore's call for a carbon tax on all the rich countries is a bit much considering his life style >:D>:D>:D. After all if he advocates most of the modern word returning to energy consumption levels of the 19th century to reduce C02 he should be setting the example as opposed to his consumption of resources by flying around in his jet and living in a house that consumes massive amounts of energy. Buying carbon offsets is bogus just live the life style you preach for the rest of us.

Oh yea I forgot he"s a liberal he doesn't have to do as he says because he's better than the rest of us.

one of these days I'll tell you how I really feel :D:D:D

Remember when Clinton was called "Count Taxula", and his faithful companion was "ALGORE":confused:

Transcript: Vice President Gore on CNN's 'Late Edition' - March 9, 1999
1999 CNN interview
Gore gave an interview for CNN's Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer on 9 March 1999 in which he stated,
“During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

"Created"? --- "Invented"? Different meanings? Maybe we need another discussion aliong the lines of "it depends on what the meaning of 'is' is".

Last edited:
I agree that this thread is going nowhere, because no one's mind will be changed, but I'm cranky today so I can't pass this up.
FinanceDude said:
"Remember when Clinton was called "Count Taxula", and his faithful companion was "ALGORE"
huh.gif
"

Remember when our national budget was in balance and our national debt was declining? http://zfacts.com/p/318.html

Remember when our national budget was in balance and our national debt was declining? http://zfacts.com/p/318.html

Taxes help a lot with that.........:)

Look at AMT....the Republicans are trying to get rid of it entirely, and the Dems are pushing hard to keep it. Why? It's a big moneymaker.

Also, it is NOT a tax on the "rich". Millions and millions of taxpayers are getting hit each year when they never had it before...........;)

Well, hold on to your hats, but I will actually come to Al Gore's defense on this one. I think he gets a bad rap on this. No satire either.

I think he could have chosen his words more carefully, but I sure wouldn't want every phrase I've uttered to be held under a microscope. AFAIK, the phrase 'moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important' is pretty accurate. I think the 'I took the initiative in creating the internet' is overstating things and poorly worded, but this was a verbal interview right - not a prepared, written statement? I think he deserves to be cut some slack - seriously.

Now, when you put words down in a book and promote the heck out of that book.... *those* are words that should hold up under inspection ;)

-ERD50

Look at AMT....the Republicans are trying to get rid of it entirely, and the Dems are pushing hard to keep it. Why? It's a big moneymaker.

Also, it is NOT a tax on the "rich". Millions and millions of taxpayers are getting hit each year when they never had it before...........;)

When the AMT was first setup in 1969 it was intended to keep 155 super-wealthy families from paying -0- tax due to various tax code provisions. Now, because it was never indexed to inflation, it is on track to snare 20+ some million.

Interesting to note the Senate just shot down House Chairman Wrangel's version of bill 88-5, and sent the matter back to House. Wrangel was on record against the Senate version just passed which gives another year AMT relief to the millions of middle class taxpayers who would otherwise have to pay it.

When the AMT was first setup in 1969 it was intended to keep 155 super-wealthy families from paying -0- tax due to various tax code provisions. Now, because it was never indexed to inflation, it is on track to snare 20+ some million.

Interesting to note the Senate just shot down House Chairman Wrangel's version of bill 88-5, and sent the matter back to House. Wrangel was on record against the Senate version just passed which gives another year AMT relief to the millions of middle class taxpayers who would otherwise have to pay it.

If Congress does not act fast, they will have to move the April 15th date out a couple months.......;)

I hate paying taxes as much as the next person, but if I make a mess I figure it's my job to clean it up. I didn't vote for any of the presidents who have run up the debt, but it happened on my watch, so I figure it's my job (and all of us "adults") to pay up and not pass this mess on to the the next generation.
Granted the alternative minimum tax may not be the best vehicle, but we have made a very big mess (national debt) and we have to clean it up. If not with taxes, then how?
If you think we shouldn't have to pay taxes, then how else do we pay the debt and run the government? I really want to know what the anti-tax folks know that I don't.
Sincerely.

Granted the alternative minimum tax may not be the best vehicle, but we have made a very big mess (national debt) and we have to clean it up. If not with taxes, then how?

Fiscal responsibility. Cut spend less on items that are not absolutely needed or are very wasteful (i.e. keep those items specifically itemized in the Constitution, not interpreted to be in there). Don't institute more entitlement programs until the ones already operating are fiscally sound.

Taxes are like cocaine to politicians. You will never solve fiscal problems by raising taxes. Look at the SS tax at inception and presently. Did the increase save SS?

Politicians stay in office by spending your and my money. Until we change that no tax hike will be large enough.

The problem is on the spending side not the taxing side. Why do you think they did/do earmarks in the dead of night?

And how the heck does this flow into the history of the internet?

Taxes are like cocaine to politicians. You will never solve fiscal problems by raising taxes. Look at the SS tax at inception and presently. Did the increase save SS?

It was doing great under Clinton.

Politicians stay in office by spending your and my money. Until we change that no tax hike will be large enough.

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.Sir Winston Churchill"
The problem is on the spending side not the taxing side. Why do you think they did/do earmarks in the dead of night?

Again I refer you to http://zfacts.com/p/59.html Surely we on Retire Early understand you need to spend less than you take in. But some presidents don't get that, and others have to clean up after them. I guess the answer is don't vote for people who don't get that.

And how the heck does this flow into the history of the internet?

It has to do with the smear campaign on Al Gore that this thread is about.

Ok, no one has answered my question of how we clean up our mess and run a government without taxes. I'm done, because I'm just making people angry, and not learning anything new.
:confused:

You seem to be under the impression that Presidents spend money.

I was always under the impression that it was Congress that holds the purse strings.
Which one of missed government class?

If I am right, could it be the Clinton era was aided by a new Republican congress, just as the Bush era was destroyed by an over spending Republican congress.

Back
Top Bottom