Question about "Work Less, Live More".....

dessert

Full time employment: Posting here.
I’m looking at Bob Clyatt’s “Work Less Live More” advertisement on the site and I am seeing small differences in price for used books. Then I see another large price jump for a new version. That is self explanatory but I am wondering if these are all the same book or are there different versions with the most recent being more up-to-date?

Then I see a workbook with CD that seems to be about “semi-retiring” as opposed to the book being about “retiring early”? Are these related or are they separated by the two different topics?

The second edition of WLLM just came out last month and it includes a separate workbook with a CD.

I'd buy the 2nd ed and the workbook [-]so that all your friends can borrow and never return them[/-]. You're going to thumb through them enough that they're worth owning.

Thanks Nords. I read the book last year but I think I want to purchase my own. I had to get the library to ship a copy in and I couldn't extend my time with it so had to read it quickly and I don't think I got the full impact. ;)

Dessert,
Sorry for the confusion with the new book title etc -- the 2nd edition of Work Less Live More got a new subtitle with the word "Semi-retirement" instead of "Early Retirement" but it's the same book as the original with updates. The workbook is for anyone interested in ER/SR to do more detailed personalized planning, and has spreadsheets you can customize.

Still not sure if semi-retirement was right for the title or just plain confusing. It seems to be helping me sell fewer books, :rolleyes: but the goal was to widen out the "ER-and-do-something-you-love" message to people who couldn't afford ER without some part-time work, as well as to people who are objectively a little late for 'early' retirment... Oh well!

I welcome any feedback from readers in threads here or in PMs. Thx

I found the sub-title Semi-Retirement confusing as my interest was/is early retirement. The book is clearly for both but the sub-title causes one to stop and wonder initially. It would have been better IMHO if the sub-title had mentioned both.

Also, a couple of comments. The book mentions ETFs and their pros and cons but doesn't give examples of ETF portfolios. Second, since the best info changes with time, it would have been nice if the book referenced a web page that could have then held updates or additional info (such as suggested ETF portfolio for example).

Still think the book is great. The workbook and CD look like a great addition, but haven't gotten through those as yet to make any comments.

I'd buy the 2nd ed and the workbook [-]so that all your friends can borrow and never return them[/-]. You're going to thumb through them enough that they're worth owning.

Agree and did buy both editions. One of the better reads out there. Especially love the 95% rule in case it hits the fan.

I find it amusing that Bob was encouraged to add the semi-retirement sub-title to make it more "palatable" to those folks. His book (I've got the first edition but now am longing for the second) is an excellent read and I highly recommend it to folks.

I just finished reading the New Retirementality by Mitch Anthony and it was chock full of "you'll die if you retire" sort of nonsense to make people afraid to quit work. I'd love to set you guys loose on that guy! :)

I just finished reading the New Retirementality by Mitch Anthony and it was chock full of "you'll die if you retire" sort of nonsense to make people afraid to quit work. I'd love to set you guys loose on that guy! :)
Hey hey hey, Anthony & Marc Freedman are going to save Medicare & Social Security with their marketing!

Also, a couple of comments. The book mentions ETFs and their pros and cons but doesn't give examples of ETF portfolios. Second, since the best info changes with time, it would have been nice if the book referenced a web page that could have then held updates or additional info (such as suggested ETF portfolio for example).

Gandalf,
Thx for the suggestion about the ETF portfolios -- to be honest I'm only just becoming convinced of how great ETFs are and by next edition I should have a lot more listed, though it will be the same portfolio just with ETF choices. Doing it on my web page is also a great idea (and I will put annual tax statistics up once a year) but that starts to sound like W**k to me -- an ongoing thing I have to manage -- and might get in the way of my own ER :D Seriously -- deciding to do a book in ER made me do a lot of soul searching that I wouldn't let writing about having a good time keep me from actually having a good time myself, so I have deliberately taken a neutral or first-gear approach on things like PR, publicity, building a franchise, doing speaking engagements, seminars and all that stuff that 'savvy authors' are supposed to do to sell books...

Hillbilly and Sarah (and always Nords!) - thx for your kind words. If anybody feels inspired to write a review on Amazon, that would be great because last I looked there weren't any for the new books and prospective readers do look for that.

I'll bet the next editions have "Early Retirement" back in their titles, too!:bat:

Well, I'm not at this stage of my life. But I ordered the books anyway.
I know for sure that I'll never live a sedate life (if I have anything to say about it :p). It's just not in my personality.
I decided to get Bob's book (the workbook/CD), and Ralph's book.
I would like to "work less/live more" today. But that's not in the cards right now.

Bob,

I just ordered the 2nd addition (on Nords' recommendation) from Amazon. Didn't know the author was a regular poster- that's pretty cool. Your royalty check should be in the mail as we speak!

I'm attempting to turn my 86% stock/14% cash "accumulation" portfolio into a more sustainable, less volatile portfolio that I can live off of over the next 40-50 years. Damn that sounds like a long time...........

Oh, nice art on your website BTW.

So, did they copy enough of these?

Amazon already shipped my "Get a Life" book by Ralph, but they haven't shipped "Work Less, Live More" workbook/CD.

Granted, I opted for the 5-9 day free shipping, but that's kind of irrelevant isn't it? :p

You are doing some beautiful work, Bob. Amazing to see how far you have come in just he last couple of years.

Probably a stupid question, but you have been to the Rodin Museum in Philly, right?

Still not sure if semi-retirement was right for the title or just plain confusing. It seems to be helping me sell fewer books, :rolleyes: but the goal was to widen out the "ER-and-do-something-you-love" message to people who couldn't afford ER without some part-time work, as well as to people who are objectively a little late for 'early' retirment... Oh well!

I welcome any feedback from readers in threads here or in PMs. Thx

I think the new title is great but I'm not surprised that it might be scaring away potential buyers. Seems to me that those who would actively seek out any sort of ER book are similar to the majority of posters here; where there is a heavy bias towards bailing out 100%.

Definitely a "wider" pool of people who qualify for semi-ER as you mention but I doubt they are scouring the internet for "how to" books, just like they don't tend to seek out or hang around site's like this.

I can't really come up with a good explination why, just my observation.

I luv the idea of working a couple days per week (whether I had to or not) and playing the other 5. Have to admit that I feel like I don't quite fit in here though I still enjoy the topics and viewpoints

You are doing some beautiful work, Bob. Amazing to see how far you have come in just he last couple of years.

Probably a stupid question, but you have been to the Rodin Museum in Philly, right?
Yep -- he was awesome, and I've read some great essays/interviews with him from 100 years ago that really helped me understand him and sculpture better. Since I didn't do the typical Bachelor of Fine Arts route, I'm making up for it double time here in my 'encore career' as a sculptor and trying to soak up everything I can in workshops, individual study, lectures, museum trips etc etc. Interestingly that puts me on a nice trajectory since so many 'real artists' spend so much of their time doing other stuff to pay the rent that by the time we're all old I just might have a chance to catch up. No reason artists can't be doing quality work into their 80s which means I still have 30+ years!

Reading this book right this moment. Seems like the more sane approach than going from a full-on career to full-on retirement. The only psychological barrier I have is how do I explain that I'm not the "big success" as predicted by everyone in business school.

I'll bet the next editions have "Early Retirement" back in their titles, too!:bat:

For what it's worth, I always tell people I'm in "early semi-retirement" because I'm willing and able to engage in income-producing activities (such as "working for a living" from time to time), but I can afford to be choosy and if push comes to shove, I don't need the income from any job at all. I also enjoy the psychological aspects that come from a good work assignment (not to feel fulfilled as a person, but rather to be challenged intellectually) and getting paid well in the process is an added plus.

I found the book Work Less, Live More in early 2006 after I started my sabbatical due to burnout (I was on the nolo.com email list at the time and was wondering what I would be doing next with my life -- starting a business was one of the alternatives I was thinking about). It was after reading this book that I decided I was really in "early semi-retirement" and would seek out income-producing activities from now on that were only in true harmony with myself.

So I never expect to retire completely. Instead, I intend to engage in wealth building activities of one sort or another until they carry me away in a pine box. I've had a few false starts since then in that some of the activities I tried didn't pan out (although they did at least break even), but I can afford to experiment. I'm having fun now because financial freedom provides me with lifestyle freedom.

I’m looking at Bob Clyatt’s “Work Less Live More” advertisement on the site and I am seeing small differences in price for used books. Then I see another large price jump for a new version. That is self explanatory but I am wondering if these are all the same book or are there different versions with the most recent being more up-to-date?

Then I see a workbook with CD that seems to be about “semi-retiring” as opposed to the book being about “retiring early”? Are these related or are they separated by the two different topics?
I have read as many retirement books as I could get my hands on - but I have only bought two. One of them is "Work Less, Live More" (2nd edition) and I recommend it highly. And no, I don't know Bob Clyatt or have any interest in the book itself, I just think it's that worthwhile...

LOL! It's so private that it has an investor of one and no fund name.

"I'm sorry, I can't give you more information... we're very selective about who we bring on as clients. Our goal is to build a lifetime relationship with each client. Why, we practically think of them as part of the family."

Bob - I have the new edition of your book. It's a honey...very well produced - Pretty Cover picture!

I think the new sub-title makes sense.

We're an early retirement audience so we see it thru our prism, but I think for most people ER is either beyond their reach or is too scary.

I know this will come as a surprise to some here but there are people who enjoy working and to be able to on a reduced level and on their own terms - is appealing to them!

Also, I think it jives well with what you are and reflects the main title.

That being said, I guess you could tweak it to something like "The Way to Semi or Early Retirement". or devote a new book for ER - "Retirement - It's not Just For Old Geezers Anymore"

Wish you much success...Got a book tour this time?

Thx, Danny.
I like the new title idea: ER - Not for Geezers Anymore... I'll see if I can get it past Marketing!:rant:

No tours this time around -- I think that is reserved for newbie authors and superstars. Still we did get some good crowds in the last time. Frankly I'd rather be home sculpting in the studio than braving the airports these days...

No new books for me, though. They're a ton of work and if I get a new idea I can just add it into the next edition. Nolo wants one every 2-3 years -- that's plenty for an ER/ESR's schedule!

Glad you found the book helpful. You've probably realized by now that most of the good ideas in the book came from people here.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom