Pentagon says ships harassed by Iran

Well....The price of oil has been slipping a bit today. You don't suppose the fine leaders of Iran sent a few of their boys out to create a few ominous headlines do you?>:D
Whatever, it hasn't worked, so maybe next time they'll stick out their tongues.:p

There was an article in the Christian Science Monitor - Why U.S. strategy on Iran is crumbling - Gulf states no longer want to isolate Iran.
Why U.S. strategy on Iran is crumbling | csmonitor.com

If for what ever reason the tensions between Iran and the U.S escalate to an armed conflict do you think that the Gulf States and the rest of the world will support us? As it stands now Russia, China and others do not even agree with imposing sanctions.

I do not think that Old George W will be able to build a co·a·li·tion as was the case with his Daddy 41. There is just too much bad blood and distrust between the U.S and the world because of the invasion of Iraq.

Whaddaya think of that?

I'll keep us out of war with Oklahoma!
Kinky Friedman

GOD BLESS:angel:

What I think is that we should and probably will end up punching holes in a few of those little boats. Iran is like a mosquito that needs to be swatted. As far as Afghanistan, what we're doing there now is mostly sending fighter planes out on daily patrol missions, but finding no targets to egage and returning to base with all ordnance still on board. Some minor ground skirmishes, but rare.

Those boats look like 16 foot runabouts with .30 caliber guns on them. I think a Phalanx would have an easy time with them, why waste 10 inch shells??

I've been nervous about the administration starting something with Iran. Then what?

But my old destroyer gunnery genes kicked in when I heard the news about the small boats. I immediately went into mental GQ to the gun director. I was ready to lay down fire to neutralize the surface threat. What's with that?

I suppose good training is etched into my very soul.

I imagine that stuff happens more than we know. They only inform the public about it when it suits them for one reason or another.

Last edited:
I almost hate to feed the paranoia, but a digital effect guy could create this footage on modern PC with stock footage in a few day. The Pentagon needless to say could produce a digital film from a simulator with very little effort.

I almost hate to feed the paranoia, but a digital effect guy could create this footage on modern PC with stock footage in a few day. The Pentagon needless to say could produce a digital film from a simulator with very little effort.

True. But no way would a conspiracy to make this whole thing up stay under wraps for more than a few days. Impossible to keep every crew member of three ships from talking to someone if the incident never took place or was less confrontational than shown. This isn't WWII where the military can keep secrets by censoring snail mail. The technology knife cuts both ways.

Fake stuff? I doubt it in the middle east these people do not like us one bit.

By the way I am no hawk, but I wonder how the sailors kept so darn cool. I am surprised that they didn't blow every last one of those boats out of the water.

I believe at some point Iran is going to take the beating it is asking for.

By the way back in Iraq while americans are still shopping 9 soldiers have been killed in the last two days. See following...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/10/world/middleeast/10iraq.html?hp

Of course there are two sides to every story. I won't pretend to know who is telling the truth, maybe half-truths from both sides.

Anyway, Iran released video of the incident and claim they were just trying to identify the ships.

Click on the little video icon at the end of the articles title to see it. They start communicating with the US warships in English about halfway through the video.

Press TV

and also from the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/

Last edited:
Looks to me like a local boating club on a day's jaunt.

There is hardly enough aggression, substance, purpose or anything in the official video to start a war over.

As a ex Navy man, this happens all the time in the Straights. In the old days (1980's) we just took them out. They got too close, didn't listen to our warning and kept coming. That was that. Its a dangerous world out there and some people want to play games in international water.

Looks to me like a local boating club on a day's jaunt.

There is hardly enough aggression, substance, purpose or anything in the official video to start a war over.

My uncle has an old drydocked trihull from the early 70's. If I strapped a .30 cal on it, it would look eerily similar to those Iranian "fastboats".

Glad that the Navy showed restraint, save the ammo for REAL targets.........;)

Back
Top Bottom