Anyone else too lazy to spend money

Kronk

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I were talking about this yesterday. See, spending money involves shopping. Neither of us like taking the time out of my life to go shopping. Clothes, electronics, food, toys, appliances, whatever. It is all a hassle we try to avoid whenever we can.

We'd probably end up spending more money if either one of us liked shopping more. And we'd probably appreciate having the stuff. For instance, right now we have an oven where the broiler doesn't work, a microwave where the Start button doesn't work (minute plus does, though), and an alarm clock where one of the two alarms can't be switched off. So we're too lazy to replace partially broken things, much less buying new things that aren't replacements.

Amazon helps, so I don't have to go shopping in person, but it is still a pain. Is anyone else like this?

Amazon helps, so I don't have to go shopping in person, but it is still a pain. Is anyone else like this?
Yep. I try to make do with less stuff, and take better care of the stuff we have to possess, just so that I don't have to go through this...

Definitely. I hate shopping. The weekly trip for groceries/staples is a chore. Other than that, it is almost exclusively shopping online.

I never understood the concept of recreational shopping. Spending a day at the mall browsing and window shopping?!?

I like browsing through antique stores and art galleries, and looking at all the pretty stuff. Bookstores, too.

I like to go to big box stores when they are not too crowded, if I can get some walking in. I need to walk anyway.

But in general, there are a lot of other things to do with one's time besides shop. Moderation in all things.

See, spending money involves shopping. Neither of us like taking the time out of my life to go shopping. Clothes, electronics, food, toys, appliances, whatever. It is all a hassle we try to avoid whenever we can.

Yes, we're somewhat like that also. We often bought stuff online or mail-order so we didn't have to bother going to stores. Less often now that we moved to a less crowded area and have lots of free time, but still do. What we're buying now is mostly replacement stuff when something breaks though.

DW and I were talking about this yesterday. See, spending money involves shopping. Neither of us like taking the time out of my life to go shopping. Clothes, electronics, food, toys, appliances, whatever. It is all a hassle we try to avoid whenever we can.

We'd probably end up spending more money if either one of us liked shopping more. And we'd probably appreciate having the stuff. For instance, right now we have an oven where the broiler doesn't work, a microwave where the Start button doesn't work (minute plus does, though), and an alarm clock where one of the two alarms can't be switched off. So we're too lazy to replace partially broken things, much less buying new things that aren't replacements.

Another thing about doing much shopping, is that you end up with a lot more things. Either you can go the "McMansion" route, which would delay the inevitable for a few years, or else you have to constantly be throwing things out because you have no more room for them.

This is why I just don't see how someone could buy more than maybe $500/month at most on non-essentials. That was my original goal for ER - - to have about that much more than I now spend. I just don't think it is possible to spend more and lead a reasonable life. Otherwise you not only have to spend a lot of time shopping, but also a lot of time going through the closets and throwing out stuff. All of which is just too much trouble!!

Maybe I just don't have this down, yet. I've never really had more money to spend at my own discretion, than I do now. But at first glance, it seems like a pain in the neck to spend that much time shopping and throwing out stuff. Besides, it's demeaning to have Madison Avenue pull one's strings to that extent.

Last edited:
Yes, we're somewhat like that also. We often bought stuff online or mail-order so we didn't have to bother going to stores. Less often now that we moved to a less crowded area and have lots of free time, but still do. What we're buying now is mostly replacement stuff when something breaks though.
i'm one less person at stores too. i live in rural upstate NY, and the local town's idea of big shopping is wally world.

my shopping happens online or not at all, unless DH-to-be drags me to wally world. but he pays for that in other ways. I asses various penalties like lunch out or laundry free days for me if i go shopping with him.

i hate the noise and crowds and germs (achoo into hand, opens door, i'm next). and the visual pollution is killer.

I'm not a big shopper but I'm OK with shopping. I just hate to BUY! I have to figure out the time commitment before I buy. Seems nothing works out the first time, something always goes wrong so you have to deal with customer service/ your credit card /repair or exchanges etc. Lots of times I see something I'd like and am willing to spend the money on but am unwilling to deal with the potential hassles of ownership.

I want a quality product and customer service!

I am the same on the quality issue...will simply avoid a lot of products because I know they wont last...

I not too lazy to buy thing. But I am too lazy to take care of things - they are a lot of work.

I like browsing through antique stores and art galleries, and looking at all the pretty stuff. Bookstores, too.

I like to go to big box stores when they are not too crowded, if I can get some walking in. I need to walk anyway.

But in general, there are a lot of other things to do with one's time besides shop. Moderation in all things.

Me too. I like to LOOK just because I like to know how out of date/style I
am. I guess I like to stay somewhat current.

I'm not a big shopper but I'm OK with shopping. I just hate to BUY!

Me too. Just looking is a form of entertainment for me and it's free as long as I keep my money in my pocket.

I not too lazy to buy thing. But I am too lazy to take care of things - they are a lot of work.

Me too again... I have been weeding out more stuff and I'm not done yet. After my auction, a year ago, things are much easier now as far as "taking care of things". It's such a JOB always dusting, sweeping, maintaining STUFF that you don't like or need.

I used to enjoy shopping, especi,lly after I bought a home. I was forever finding new gadgets and tchotchkes for this or that room. After a few years I realized that I had enough thingamajigs, enough CDs, enough clothes. almost for ever....although clothes do wear out! I am now much more frugal. Researching and shopping online saves me a lot of money because I am not assaulted by "visual pollution" and am therefore less likely to buy on impulse. And yes, I avoid WalMart like the plague. These days, most of the non-maintenance shopping I do is for gifts.

These days, most of the non-maintenance shopping I do is for gifts.

What to do about gifts ? I seem to always be needing to get a gift for weddings ,baby showers ,birthdays ,etc.. Between my SO and I we have five children ,two daughters in law , two girl friends and one son in law, five grandchildren,my mother ,two sisters ,three nieces , one nephew .Heck even his ex wife invites us to parties . So how can we tame the gift monster? Even with a low limit it's becoming a big item in our budget . So I'd like to be too lazy to shop but shop I must .

Regifting is a good option for me because I have several circles, many of which include people who don't know each other. But sounds like that would not work within Moemg's extended family. Other options would be to bring home made gifts (e.g. your strawberry jam nicely wrapped) or start making obnoxious home made wine and pawn off your experiments on your relatives, or purchase a donation in their name and send them the card, or tell them that you are just too poor, or......

Because I am a kind and caring person, I will sacrifice myself in assisting you to spend all the money you want to. Only because I am kind and caring, you see....

Other options would be to bring home made gifts (e.g. your strawberry jam nicely wrapped) or start making obnoxious home made wine and pawn off your experiments on your relatives, or purchase a donation in their name and send them the card, or tell them that you are just too poor, or......

I just spent countless hours cross stitching baby bibs and years ago I did make homemade jam maybe this is an idea ? If I was still working and making $30.00 an hour or more those bibs would be worth hundreds of dollars.

Last edited:
I like shopping, but I don't do it unless I really need something. My stereo is 33 years old, our bedroom set is 32 yrs old, I just replaced a 19 yr old TV, the personal speakers in my office are more than 20 yrs old, our microwave is also more than 20 yrs old. I believe in buying good quality when I buy, and then not replacing what I buy until it's completely inoperable. I don't get people who have to have the latest "thing" only to replace it with the next new "thing" within a few years...

I just spent countless hours cross stitching baby bibs and years ago I did make homemade jam maybe this is an idea ? If I was still working and making $30.00 an hour or more those bibs would be worth hundreds of dollars.
here's some ideas that are always the right size and color and within budget. i have declared my allergy to shopping. and this was done during my full time working years.

at christmastime, my gifts were either
1. homemade bread from my bread maker, except i used the dough setting and made the loaves in interesting shapes and added flavors afterward and did jelly-roll style loaves. or i found unique recipes for international holiday breads from allrecipes.com.
2. medium size wicker baskets filled with goodies (cheese, crackers, wine, candy).
3. good quality warm comfy socks, in multiple pairs
4. handwritten coupons for a favor or some future time spent together, redeemable upon request.

i never heard a single complaint. got lots of smiles.

the best gifts always have a piece of you attached, i.e. you spent time making it and it is personalized to the recipient.

..... Between my SO and I we have five children ,... two girl friends ....Heck even his ex wife invites us to parties .....

Moemg. Come on girl - this just is not right. Getcher self a couple boyfriends at least. fair is fair.

freebird5825;616827 2. medium size wicker baskets filled with goodies (cheese said:
I like the basket idea plus I could give coupons for baby sitting . Thanks for the good ideas !

I have fractional ownership of a resort condo. I prepared elegant letters congratulating my 4 closest friends that they could choose one of my weeks at this resort during the next five years, as my gift to them. I included a list of the possible weeks and all the resort information, making clear that transportation is their own responsibility. If they choose to check it out, the potential value during high season is several thousand $. I got a lot of excited thanks, but so far, none of my friends has taken up the option.

I have fractional ownership of a resort condo. I prepared elegant letters congratulating my 4 closest friends that they could choose one of my weeks at this resort during the next five years, as my gift to them. I included a list of the possible weeks and all the resort information, making clear that transportation is their own responsibility. If they choose to check it out, the potential value during high season is several thousand $. I got a lot of excited thanks, but so far, none of my friends has taken up the option.

That was so generous . I'm shocked your friends did not jump at the offer .

Back
Top Bottom