If you don't already have a phobia for snakes...

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
...this might change things: Pythons could squeeze lower third of USA

"As climate change warms the nation, giant Burmese pythons could colonize one-third of the USA, from San Francisco across the Southwest, Texas and the South and up north along the Virginia coast, according to U.S. Geological Survey maps released Wednesday.

The pythons can be 20 feet long and 250 pounds. They are highly adaptable to new environments."

I thought this was some particularly sage advice: "They grab with their mouth to anchor the prey, then coil around the animal and crush it to death before eating it whole. If you see one, don't attempt to engage it." :2funny:

One more item I can add to my "Why you shouldn't move to Texas" spiel...;)

Rumor has it Texas has more clowns per capita too.. :eek:

Yup...

img_619003_0_7b160640a63beb0dc08d8c6186e8499c.jpg

"As climate change warms the nation, giant Burmese pythons could colonize one-third of the USA, from San Francisco across the Southwest, Texas and the South and up north along the Virginia coast, according to U.S. Geological Survey maps released Wednesday.
Well, that explains why the killer bees have been [-]fleeing[/-] spreading north... with the pythons in "hot" pursuit...

Considering recent threads on various clown-related activities, I don't even want to know who that is-- let alone what he's holding.

I'd be nervous about cats and small dogs too:eek:

I dunno. I'm thinking that scorpions and fire ants would just see that python as a super size sausage sans roll.

Fire ants and a python.. Hummm, I go with them ants.

Indeed. When we first moved to Texas, I got several hundred fire ant bites out at a lake. That was not a great experience at all!! After that, even one bite would get really nasty, so I guess I developed a sensitivity to them.

On the other hand, I have never battled a python! I am not too worried about pythons showing up in my yard very soon, though.

Louisiana fire ants are puny and inconsequential compared with Texas fire ants, IME.

>:DSo how many pythons placed end to end would it take to cover the border?>:D

Yep. That particular make/model and 000 buckshot works well for shorter, fatter 'snakes'. I shot this one in my back yard a few days ago...

Maybe a nice big fat giant python in your back yard would have beat you to the punch! At least he would be big and fat if he had done so.

All this talk about big snakes makes me feel like I am reading "The Jungle Book", eh Mowgli? :2funny:

They're already making their way to NYC:
ABC News: Potty Python: Woman Finds Snake in Toilet

This reminds me of something that happenned to us. Our townhouse sat empty for a few months before it was rented. The property management company sent out a maintenance guy to take care of a few things. Well, he went to use the restroom and when he lifted the toilet seat...YIKES...a little garter snake! Supposedly he went running out of the townhouse screaming like a little girl....:2funny:

Yep. That particular make/model and 000 buckshot works well for shorter, fatter 'snakes'. I shot this one in my back yard a few days ago...

img_619182_0_182d0422adade5b8ae8ef47831019966.jpg
Well keep pluggin away REW, those hogs are the epitome of bad news, and a few you've missed have made it to our area.

NOTE TO SELF: Invite self to REW's "Big Bacon Breakfast"

Rumor has it Texas has more clowns per capita too.. :eek:

Mostly in the state legislature...

Well keep pluggin away REW, those hogs are the epitome of bad news, and a few you've missed have made it to our area.

NOTE TO SELF: Invite self to REW's "Big Bacon Breakfast"

I was wondering how long it would take before "bacon" came up...

1st time we went to Texas was for a wedding. Well the wife was standing minding her own business. I seen the fire ant dance for the 1st time in my life. LOL she was standing on a damn fire ant mound. Lesson learned.. :2funny: She was really busting some moves.

It's difficult to imagine unwarranted phobias when we have these crawling around our home. We've lived in this place for around 30 months, and until a few days ago no one was ever bitten. That came to an end when I stepped on one and it bit my toe -- very painful for a few hours.

Attachments

• centipede.jpg
    centipede.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 2
I have always been amazed at how many folks have a phobias about snakes and spiders. When I was a kid I got bitten by a spider and a had a heck of a time getting rid of the poison that was in my system. I came away with a healthy respect for them, but still not afraid. I handled snakes from a young age (boy scout stuff) and was familiar with the few poisonous snakes in Florida and just stayed away from them. Still had no problem with them.

Back
Top Bottom