The $1,000 cup of coffee

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So I'm sitting down for my morning coffee at the computer earlier this week.
Opps - some coffee spilled on my laptop - $1,000 later and I'll be able to surf the web from home instead of the library. The more I think about it it will be closer to $1,300 with labor!

The laptop couldn't be repaired so I opted for a desktop and an ASUS. I'm told the laptop can be "Ghosted" to the new desktop so that should make life a bit easier.

I wonder how long it will take to recoup the $1,300 by cutting paper towels in half - thanks Al.

I did go with a Lenovo set up that should last me for awhile
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/config.workflow:java-configure?x=x&sb=%3A00000025%3A000001D5%3A

*****Step away from the laptop with the coffee****

Last edited:
It was a Lenovo N100 - definately not spill proof

What a rotten morning you had! I drink my coffee over my computer every morning, but just haven't spilled it (yet). I do use one of those "car mugs" with a sippy top on it, but it isn't spill proof either.

Hope your new computer works nicely for you. Sorry to hear this happened.

We inherited our daughter's laptop after I got her a new one. Keys on the left side were sticky, turned out she had spilled OJ on it.

Here's the picture of me rinsing the keyboard:

FixingLaptop001.jpg

I also took the whole thing apart to resolder the power jack. But apparently I didn't do such a good soldering job, because yesterday it started getting flakey again.

Probably won't help you this time, but some laptop warranties will cover events like this.

Dell calls theirs "complete care." And I found that I could add a rider to my home owner's policy that covered the same stuff and was cheaper than Dell's warranty.

I did it for a while. New computers + toddler + cat + 2 dogs = willingness to pay for insurance rider.

Probably won't help you this time, but some laptop warranties will cover events like this.

Yes I spilled Coke on my laptop keyboard about a year after I bought it. The computer worked fine except for the "t" and "k" keys so I called Dell and told them these keys wouldn't work. They were very helpful and sent a new keyboard which was easy to replace.

Spilled a Southern Comfort manhatten onto the left side of my Dell L400 keyboard. Turned the computer off and quickly lapped up what manhatten I could. Then, turned the computer over and shook violently. Ran into the den, fired up the desktop and checked into this board to find the thread about how to handle a situation like this.

Removed the battery and went to bed cussing profusely. The next day, the computer would turn on with the battery still out and the power cord plugged in but not with the battery in. Went to the Dell site and downloaded the manuals and tried the exercise of retraining your charging circuit to know when your batter is dead and fully charged. (Seemed to put the battery through a complete charge and discharge cycle and took a long time.)

After that, the computer worked again! Hooray...... ! A few keys were a little sticky but that has cleared up with use.

Last edited:
And I found that I could add a rider to my home owner's policy that covered the same stuff and was cheaper than Dell's warranty.

IIRC, my rider costs ~$17/year. Covers 2 laptops and a couple other things. The laptops are covered against loss and/or damage.....including coffee deluges! ;)

I just bought a laptop......and I drink coffee over it all the time.....might have to invest in the little kids sippie cups with that thingamajig that does not let the liquid come out if the cup is over turned!

Homeowner's insurance covers them with no deductible for $8 per year.

Back
Top Bottom