Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Other topics (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/)
-   -   Ten Weirdest Pizza Toppings (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/ten-weirdest-pizza-toppings-33962.html)

Khan 03-10-2008 08:56 PM

Ten Weirdest Pizza Toppings

Asylum | For All Mankind

ladelfina 03-10-2008 11:15 PM

what's wrong with the intro one? It just looks plain and a little overcooked.

Here in Italy egg is not unusual; it's not exactly fried, just cracked over raw and cooked by the pizza oven. It's necessary in the "capricciosa" composition (which is a 4-stagioni with the egg).

Just a couple of other 'weird' pizza toppings that are not uncommon to see on menus here:
-beans (actually v. good with mushrooms, sausage, etc.)
-canned corn (bleh)
-wurstel (hot dog)

Rectangular pan pizza is usually avail. in a "white" version with potatoes on top. For some reason this option is not usually "done" for round pizzas. Here's a version enriched with a bit of ham.. yum!

http://bp2.blogger.com/_JxGGQnQhmtc/...ate+dentro.JPG

Niko 03-11-2008 08:04 AM

There's a place in my town that serves very interesting pizza. Some common toppings:

mashed potatoes
Corn on the cob (yes, on the cob)
peaches
broccoli

It's actually the best pizza I've ever had.

lets-retire 03-11-2008 08:44 AM

I had it with beef hotdogs, and mussels.

cute fuzzy bunny 03-11-2008 09:57 AM

See? Those all looked just fine to me except the rice pizza thing looked boring.

One of the better pizzas I've had for taste (and it was good for you) was a nice whole wheat pizza with a fair bit of well seasoned sauce, shredded carrots and raisins. As a 17 year old I was a bit skeptical, but it was my new girlfriends earthy-crunchy sisters idea and the little brain said "go for it!".

freebird5825 03-11-2008 10:41 AM

those were gross. LOL

hold the anchovies! bleecchhh

i use boboli crusts and put just about anything on my homemade pizza. medium hot buffalo wing sauce and boneless chicken breast and plain mozz cheese is a fave. also Margherita pizza, which is mozz cheese, thin sliced tomatoes and fresh basil leaves. that's it. roasted garlic and greek feta cheese is to die for.

have fun with it and surprise yourself.

aworkingrachel 03-11-2008 06:12 PM

My favorite pizza topping ever is tuna. It was relatively common in Germany about 15 years ago. Here I can only get it if I make it myself...:(

Notmuchlonger 03-11-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebird5825 (Post 627358)
those were gross. LOL

hold the anchovies! bleecchhh

i use boboli crusts and put just about anything on my homemade pizza. medium hot buffalo wing sauce and boneless chicken breast and plain mozz cheese is a fave. also Margherita pizza, which is mozz cheese, thin sliced tomatoes and fresh basil leaves. that's it. roasted garlic and greek feta cheese is to die for.

have fun with it and surprise yourself.

We made one this weekend with Boboli. Used the wheat crust. Kalamata olives, goat cheese,feta cheese and mozzarella. Threw on some spinach for good measure.

Gumby 03-11-2008 06:15 PM

I had conch pizza in the US Virgin Islands (it was horrible)

Notmuchlonger 03-11-2008 06:18 PM

I like conch but never thought of putting it on a pizza.

cute fuzzy bunny 03-11-2008 06:24 PM

Too chewy.

I'm desperately suppressing the urge to scream "God #$^%# it! Pizza is supposed to have tomato sauce and cheese on it, or maybe tomatoes, cheese and basil! Not #&%#$ing seafood, cheeseburgers and sushi!!!!!!!!"

But I wont.

Notmuchlonger 03-11-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 627593)
Too chewy.

I'm desperately suppressing the urge to scream "God #$^%# it! Pizza is supposed to have tomato sauce and cheese on it, or maybe tomatoes, cheese and basil! Not #&%#$ing seafood, cheeseburgers and sushi!!!!!!!!"

But I wont.

Blah need to expand your horizons! Olive oil is a good light sauce instead of the same old red.

cute fuzzy bunny 03-11-2008 06:34 PM

Then Its Not Pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Augh!!!!

Moemg 03-11-2008 06:37 PM

I miss anchovies on pizza . When were they fazed out ?

Notmuchlonger 03-11-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny (Post 627599)
Then Its Not Pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Augh!!!!

When the snow melts Ill be heading up to get some Lake Tahoe Pizza. Its been awhile.

cute fuzzy bunny 03-11-2008 08:26 PM

My experiences with lake tahoe food havent been that great so far.

:P

HFWR 03-11-2008 08:33 PM

Back in ancient times, I worked at a pizza place that offered both anchovies and bait shrimp as toppings. Nothing like opening a 600F oven when the smell of seafood comes wafting out... :dead:

Every cat within miles scratching at the door to get in... :p

Khan 03-11-2008 08:37 PM

I worked a second job at a pizza place:
I recall the pineapple and jalepeno pizza

freebird5825 03-12-2008 06:50 AM

re Kalamata olives, goat cheese,feta cheese and mozzarella. Threw on some spinach for good measure.

Notmuchlonger...and you didn't invite me? waa waaa waaaaaaaah

i'm crushed.:(

that sounds killer! why didn't i think of the olives? <bops herself in the head>

W2R 03-12-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khan (Post 627644)
I worked a second job at a pizza place:
I recall the pineapple and jalepeno pizza

Back in the 1960's, fresh, ripe (or sometimes over-ripe) pineapples could be had in Hawaii for as little as 2 cents each. My LBYM mother put pineapple in everything. We had fried pineapple with our eggs in the morning, pineapple salads, pineapple upsidedown cake, kabobs with pineapple along with the meat, slabs of fresh pineapple for dessert, pineapple chunks on toothpicks for appetizers before dinner, pineapple in our iced tea or fruit punch, and pineapple, pineapple, and pineapple. Sounds like that pizza recipe was one of hers! :2funny:

It took 35-40 years after I left home, before I would voluntarily eat pineapple.