Ten Weirdest Pizza Toppings

what's wrong with the intro one? It just looks plain and a little overcooked.

Here in Italy egg is not unusual; it's not exactly fried, just cracked over raw and cooked by the pizza oven. It's necessary in the "capricciosa" composition (which is a 4-stagioni with the egg).

Just a couple of other 'weird' pizza toppings that are not uncommon to see on menus here:
-beans (actually v. good with mushrooms, sausage, etc.)
-canned corn (bleh)
-wurstel (hot dog)

Rectangular pan pizza is usually avail. in a "white" version with potatoes on top. For some reason this option is not usually "done" for round pizzas. Here's a version enriched with a bit of ham.. yum!

pizza+patate+dentro.JPG

There's a place in my town that serves very interesting pizza. Some common toppings:

mashed potatoes
Corn on the cob (yes, on the cob)
peaches
broccoli

It's actually the best pizza I've ever had.

See? Those all looked just fine to me except the rice pizza thing looked boring.

One of the better pizzas I've had for taste (and it was good for you) was a nice whole wheat pizza with a fair bit of well seasoned sauce, shredded carrots and raisins. As a 17 year old I was a bit skeptical, but it was my new girlfriends earthy-crunchy sisters idea and the little brain said "go for it!".

those were gross. LOL

hold the anchovies! bleecchhh

i use boboli crusts and put just about anything on my homemade pizza. medium hot buffalo wing sauce and boneless chicken breast and plain mozz cheese is a fave. also Margherita pizza, which is mozz cheese, thin sliced tomatoes and fresh basil leaves. that's it. roasted garlic and greek feta cheese is to die for.

have fun with it and surprise yourself.

My favorite pizza topping ever is tuna. It was relatively common in Germany about 15 years ago. Here I can only get it if I make it myself...:(

those were gross. LOL

hold the anchovies! bleecchhh

i use boboli crusts and put just about anything on my homemade pizza. medium hot buffalo wing sauce and boneless chicken breast and plain mozz cheese is a fave. also Margherita pizza, which is mozz cheese, thin sliced tomatoes and fresh basil leaves. that's it. roasted garlic and greek feta cheese is to die for.

have fun with it and surprise yourself.

We made one this weekend with Boboli. Used the wheat crust. Kalamata olives, goat cheese,feta cheese and mozzarella. Threw on some spinach for good measure.

I had conch pizza in the US Virgin Islands (it was horrible)

Too chewy.

I'm desperately suppressing the urge to scream "God #$^%# it! Pizza is supposed to have tomato sauce and cheese on it, or maybe tomatoes, cheese and basil! Not #&%#$ing seafood, cheeseburgers and sushi!!!!!!!!"

But I wont.

Too chewy.

I'm desperately suppressing the urge to scream "God #$^%# it! Pizza is supposed to have tomato sauce and cheese on it, or maybe tomatoes, cheese and basil! Not #&%#$ing seafood, cheeseburgers and sushi!!!!!!!!"

But I wont.

Blah need to expand your horizons! Olive oil is a good light sauce instead of the same old red.

Back in ancient times, I worked at a pizza place that offered both anchovies and [-]bait[/-] shrimp as toppings. Nothing like opening a 600F oven when the smell of seafood comes wafting out... :dead:

Every cat within miles scratching at the door to get in... :p

I worked a second job at a pizza place:
I recall the pineapple and jalepeno pizza

re Kalamata olives, goat cheese,feta cheese and mozzarella. Threw on some spinach for good measure.

Notmuchlonger...and you didn't invite me? waa waaa waaaaaaaah

i'm crushed.:(

that sounds killer! why didn't i think of the olives? <bops herself in the head>

I worked a second job at a pizza place:
I recall the pineapple and jalepeno pizza

Back in the 1960's, fresh, ripe (or sometimes over-ripe) pineapples could be had in Hawaii for as little as 2 cents each. My LBYM mother put pineapple in everything. We had fried pineapple with our eggs in the morning, pineapple salads, pineapple upsidedown cake, kabobs with pineapple along with the meat, slabs of fresh pineapple for dessert, pineapple chunks on toothpicks for appetizers before dinner, pineapple in our iced tea or fruit punch, and pineapple, pineapple, and pineapple. Sounds like that pizza recipe was one of hers! :2funny:

It took 35-40 years after I left home, before I would voluntarily eat pineapple.

One of my new hobbies lately is making homemade pizza. I have yet to start making crusts from scratch, but did try the Boboli, which I felt was too thick--and too expensive.
Walmart sells the flour mix for $.41 and comes in a small blue bag, and is easy, produces a thin crust and is very tasty.
Avoid like all getout--unless you are into shoe leather tastes--Jiffy, Betty Crocker or any other box of pizza mix for crust. Stick with Walmarts.
After trying every brand I could find in this area, I settled on Contidena brand tomato sauce, Sargento's mozzarella/provolone smoked flavor cheese, Hormel pepperoni and a can of sliced mushrooms (8 oz. can) from Walmart. Made one yesterday, and it was just excellent! FYI
I've had a pineapple and ham pizza. It was okay, but I guess I am a traditionalist and just like the pepperoni and mushroom style.

We have a wonderful European bakery (bread only) here in town that also makes 8-10 inch pizza crusts. They are only half baked so they must be used or frozen the same day purchased. Last summer when my basil was growing, and tomatoes were available, we lived on homemade pizza for a month or so. Soooo good. No tomato sauce, only brushed on olive oil, Roma tomatoes, basil, black olives, fresh mozzarella. Sooo good. We used our gas grill to bake on very hot days.

Back in the 1960's, fresh, ripe (or sometimes over-ripe) pineapples could be had in Hawaii for as little as 2 cents each. My LBYM mother put pineapple in everything. We had fried pineapple with our eggs in the morning, pineapple salads, pineapple upsidedown cake, kabobs with pineapple along with the meat, slabs of fresh pineapple for dessert, pineapple chunks on toothpicks for appetizers before dinner, pineapple in our iced tea or fruit punch, and pineapple, pineapple, and pineapple. Sounds like that pizza recipe was one of hers! :2funny:

It took 35-40 years after I left home, before I would voluntarily eat pineapple.
makes me recall Bubba's dissertation about shrimp...(Forrest Gump movie)

i never had real pineapple til i was in HI. the fresh pineapple was tremendous. i made a pig of myself on fresh pineapple at the luaus. the "native" folks grinned like crazy and just handed me more...

Hmm, I completely forgot about this since I havent gotten it in a long time but Winco (if you have one in your area) sells pizza dough already made in a baggie. I could get it either at the pizza stand at the front near the registers or refrigerated back near the deli counters. Sams Club and Costco also sell raw pizza dough but I think its by the dozen or some large amount. That wouldnt be bad if you were doing a pizza party, make up a bunch of small undressed pies and let everyone put their own toppings on, then flip them into the oven.

While I'm on the topic of Winco, they've been selling whole in-the-bag filet mignons for $5.98/lb. Its obviously not prime or choice beef but I've gotten a couple of them and been reasonably pleased with them. They're well trimmed, not particularly well marbled, but suit fine for dishes like beef stroganoff, a quick filet mignon eggs benedict, etc.

I miss anchovies on pizza . When were they fazed out ?

Pizza Hut will add anchovies on request, I get them every once in awhile. Haven't asked for them in the last several months, I hope they haven't stopped offering them. Nobody else in my family will touch them, so it's just a now & then thing. I usually order a Supreme, add anchovies and sometimes pineapple too!

Back
Top Bottom