Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Health and Early Retirement (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/)
-   -   Tricare for life - for the spouse too? (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/tricare-for-life-for-the-spouse-too-34071.html)

WM 03-14-2008 09:20 PM

Tricare for life - for the spouse too?

Does anyone know whether, for military retirees, the family members are covered for life as well? I know everyone can be covered under Tricare when the military member retires, but what if he/she dies first, and before the spouse reaches 65 (Medicare)? Will the spouse still be covered under Tricare?

samclem 03-14-2008 11:05 PM

The surviving spouse will be covered for life, unless he/she remaries.

Kids are covered until they turn 21, and until 23 if they are full-time students. Then they can darn well enlist themselves and get their own benefits!!!

Here's a link with the details on unusual situations.
TRICARE Eligibility - Military Benefits - Military.com

Of course, the military retirement checks stop with the member's death, unless he/she signed up for the Survivor's Benefit Plan (SBP). But that has nothing to do with Tricare.

WM 03-15-2008 08:48 AM

Thanks samclem! I will bookmark the link for future reference.

donheff 03-15-2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samclem (Post 629062)
The surviving spouse will be covered for life, unless he/she remaries.

And can get it back if she later divorces. My sister's husband was killed in a Navy plane crash. She remarried and lost coverage but 15 years later she divorced and requalified.

Nords 03-19-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WM (Post 629032)
Does anyone know whether, for military retirees, the family members are covered for life as well? I know everyone can be covered under Tricare when the military member retires, but what if he/she dies first, and before the spouse reaches 65 (Medicare)? Will the spouse still be covered under Tricare?

Medicare also kicks Tricare down to second-payer status for some situations before age 65-- like kidney failure and organ transplants.

Reservists/NG dying between the date of being approved for retirement and age 60, with or without SBP, is a whole 'nother mess. Let us know if that's part of the question and I'll dig into the links with my Reservist spouse...

WM 03-19-2008 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nords (Post 631293)
Reservists/NG dying between the date of being approved for retirement and age 60, with or without SBP, is a whole 'nother mess. Let us know if that's part of the question and I'll dig into the links with my Reservist spouse...

Nope, active duty is all I need to know about at the moment, thanks.

OAG 03-20-2008 03:36 PM

Here is a link to the recently changed TRICARE-All Forms TRICARE—TRICARE Management Activity. Looks like a much better site and it has more information and may clear up some confusion.

WM 03-20-2008 06:24 PM

Thanks, R Wood! You're right, this site is much better than I remember.