Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   FIRE and Money (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/)
-   -   Hillary and Bill (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/hillary-and-bill-34074.html)

boont 03-14-2008 11:09 PM

Hillary and Bill
 
“You get to where people can’t trade with each other,” said James L. Melcher, president of Balestra Capital, a hedge fund based in New York. “If the Fed hadn’t acted this morning and Bear did default on its obligations, then that could have triggered a very widespread panic and potentially a collapse of the financial system.”

I would certainly rather have Hillary and Bill attending to this problem rather than Obama. Barack has already said he doesn't do details.

I know Hillary and Bill do detail work. All I have to do is look back fondly to the eight years of peace and prosperity we had under their leadership.

As for Bush, his deregulation of the markets are now causing him to basically nationalize the banks. He was against nation building and the regulation of markets and now he has both.

Quite the joke, really.

Presidents do make a difference as we can see with the one we've got.

boont

barbarus 03-15-2008 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boont (Post 629070)
I would certainly rather have Hillary and Bill attending to this problem rather than Obama. Barack has already said he doesn't do details.

Do you think anyone can deal with this problem. This is not just a one-time, isolated incident.

chinaco 03-15-2008 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbarus (Post 629085)
Do you think anyone can deal with this problem. This is not just a one-time, isolated incident.

Yes. The banks need to be regulated. Deregulation was a bad idea. They were more heavily regulated in the past because of similar problems in the past.

In theory deregulation works... But when you combine it with people who are opportunist and harm others because of money motives... it needs to be in place.

You are seeing the first signs of a big problem. If we want our money system and most basic financial institutions to be safe and solid... they need to be regulated. The Fed (Tax payers) cannot afford to bail out the banking industry time and time again because of bad eggs. Yes we can prosecute them, but the damage is done.

Regulation is the only practical way!

Texarkandy 03-15-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boont (Post 629070)
“You get to where people can’t trade with each other,” said James L. Melcher, president of Balestra Capital, a hedge fund based in New York. “If the Fed hadn’t acted this morning and Bear did default on its obligations, then that could have triggered a very widespread panic and potentially a collapse of the financial system.”

I would certainly rather have Hillary and Bill attending to this problem rather than Obama. Barack has already said he doesn't do details.

I know Hillary and Bill do detail work. All I have to do is look back fondly to the eight years of peace and prosperity we had under their leadership.

As for Bush, his deregulation of the markets are now causing him to basically nationalize the banks. He was against nation building and the regulation of markets and now he has both.

Quite the joke, really.

Presidents do make a difference as we can see with the one we've got.

boont

Sounds like an ad (are you working for a particular campaign?)

Texas Proud 03-15-2008 09:22 AM

GIMME A BREAK!!!!

Bill got so lucky it is a joke.... the Russian's had finally given up, so he could spend a LOT less on the military..

The terrorists were content in small bombings over there.... so it did not get on the radar..

He had a repub congress that prevented him from doing anything that HE wanted to do...

I don't think Bill OR Hillary would have done any better than the current group...

The one problem with the current group is that we won the 'war' a long time ago and should have left... they would have taken care of whatever fallout that occurred.... it was not our problem...



As for the economy... there is a lot of things that need to get fixed... but that is painful and we do not want to feel the pain... The market is still higher than it was a year (or two?) ago... and we have recessions in this country... it is called the 'business cycle'... all normal... what is different this time is a small recession is being blown out of proportion with the talking heads... until we are in the 7 to 8% unemployment range... don't bother with all the 'rescue' packages... it will work itself out... and the country would be stronger for it...

talltrees 03-15-2008 11:59 AM

What is this obsession Texans have with Bush???

The man's been a miserable joke for eight years.

And the joke's on us.:confused:

ziggy29 03-15-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talltrees (Post 629222)
What is this obsession Texans have with Bush???

You haven't been to Austin, have you?

REWahoo 03-15-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggy29 (Post 629235)
You haven't been to Austin, have you?

:)

talltrees 03-15-2008 01:52 PM

You haven't been to Austin, have you?



Good point. A blue oasis in a sea of red.

Arc 03-15-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Proud (Post 629180)

As for the economy... there is a lot of things that need to get fixed... but that is painful and we do not want to feel the pain... The market is still higher than it was a year (or two?) ago... and we have recessions in this country... it is called the 'business cycle'... all normal... what is different this time is a small recession is being blown out of proportion with the talking heads... until we are in the 7 to 8% unemployment range... don't bother with all the 'rescue' packages... it will work itself out... and the country would be stronger for it...

I was going to vote for McCain - I've changed my mind. I'm voting for Texas Proud!

ikubak 03-15-2008 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boont (Post 629070)
I would certainly rather have Hillary and Bill attending to this problem rather than Obama. Barack has already said he doesn't do details.

I know Hillary and Bill do detail work. All I have to do is look back fondly to the eight years of peace and prosperity we had under their leadership.

boont

If Hillary and Bill (actually I thought it was just Bill as president, didn't realize it was him AND Hillary) were so great, why hasn't their own party marched to the polls and put them back in office?

REWahoo 03-15-2008 03:47 PM

Hillary and Bill?

http://www.early-retirement.org/atta...5fc8417544.jpg

ikubak 03-15-2008 03:56 PM

REWahoo, that is some funny sheet. Good thing Chelsea doesn't look like that.

Da Nag 03-15-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo (Post 629325)
Hillary and Bill?

I'm sorry, but there's something seriously wrong with that picture.

There's supposed to be one boob. Depending on how you look at it, there's either none or two.

ziggy29 03-15-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Nag (Post 629368)
I'm sorry, but there's something seriously wrong with that picture.

There's supposed to be one boob. Depending on how you look at it, there's either none or two.

There are definitely two. And it has nothing to do with the anatomy.

Texas Proud 03-15-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talltrees (Post 629222)
What is this obsession Texans have with Bush???

The man's been a miserable joke for eight years.

And the joke's on us.:confused:

Not 'obsessed' at all.... I think he has done a lot of bad things and made many bad decisions... but he was 'helped' with the idiot repubs who started to spend on every dang thing they could think of....

I just don't get the 'obsession' people have of Clinton... he did very little in office... because at that time the repubs did not let him do as he pleased and HE did not let them do their stupid stuff...

In about 100 or so years.. when people look back and study this time period.. Clinton will be considered a below average president... Bush probably will also, but if the middle east somehow gets 'fixed' and it is because of this war... well, then he will look like a genius (even though it was not what he was doing)...

IMO, the last 16 years of presidents have been pretty poor... and Bush I was not up there, but was better than either of the last two... Reagan was GOOD, but not as much as he is made out by the far right... Carter was also a JOKE... Ford was OK to good, but just did not do enough..

Nixon??? What can you say... another bad one (except for his China thing)...

Now back to Johnson who probably was the one who had about as large of an impact on our country of the more modern presidents.... but even he had Vietnam...

And JFK was only 'OK' IMO.... had vision, but also Bay of Pigs and Vietnam...

Since I was born in 57... don't know much else about the ones before....

What am I trying to say??? Well, for MOST of my life, we have had CRAP presidents... and the trend does not look like it is changing soon...

talltrees 03-15-2008 10:30 PM

Texas,

I actually agree with you on every point, except one. We haven't had a president worthy of the name since Eisenhower. And Truman before him. They were giants compared to the last 40 odd years.

And by today's standards, Ike would be considered a "liberal"!!!!

Reagan was one of the biggest con jobs of the 20th century. He started the dismantling process that, arguably, has led to the financial meltdown we see today.

Peace.

Allegany 03-16-2008 05:28 AM

I can't believe anyone would support Billary or Obama
 
Well as one of the long suffering New Yorkers, I can't think of one thing that Hillary has done for Upstate NY. She went into office 8 years ago promising 200,000 new jobs. Instead we have a net loss of 30,000. The manufacturing segment of the upstate economy has been devistated by her policies. She has done nothing in 8 years except campaign for a job that she isn't even remotely qualified for. As a former town Supervisor, I have more experience with budgeting than she does. As for Obama, anyone who won't say the Pledge of Allegiance or even wear a flag lapel pin can't be trusted to lead the greatest nation on earth. Anyone who went to a church with such a divisive pastor and didn't quit that church also does not deserve to lead the greatest nation on earth. As for Bush I haven't always agreed with him but he has been far better than either of the others. As for McCain, he has my vote.
:rant:

lets-retire 03-16-2008 05:44 AM

I hope we get a Conservative running again, we haven't had one for as long as I can remember.

chinaco 03-16-2008 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lets-retire (Post 629518)
I hope we get a Conservative running again, we haven't had one for as long as I can remember.

Example of a conservative please... so I have a frame of reference. Conservative in what context.

I am very conservative on some issues and a lib on others. :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.