I Finally Joined My favorite forum

DAYDREAMER

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi everybody. Have enjoyed this forum for about 2 years, and finally decided to join in with "like minded souls". DW (age 43) and I (age 42)have always been saving for something since we've been married. We paid off our house 4 years ago and celebrated by taking a 3 month leave of absence from work prison. Was the best summer ever. Had a taste of the good life. We have now set our goals to run to the ER finish line. We are saving as much as we can (yet still play) and plan to retire when my DW reaches age 55. She will quilify for early retirement benefits from her company. By then, we plan to have about 1 1/2 to 2 million saved in 401k's and personal savings/investments. That should be more than enough to live on for the rest of our life at a 4% withdrawel rate. We currently live on 36K/yr, so 80k+12k (pension)/yr should be ok at age 55.

All be it an emotional security blanket, paying off our house was the most liberating thing we have ever done. I know that it has been an ongoing topic on this forum, but for us, we see debt as a ball and chain.

Hi and welcome

Glad that you finally delurked. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. Given the money have saved, can you retire before your DW?

Sounds like you've been here a while,just never had much to say on any given topic?You will get all the advice you need here just ask away as some of the members really know their stuff..Welcome.

All be it an emotional security blanket, paying off our house was the most liberating thing we have ever done. I know that it has been an ongoing topic on this forum, but for us, we see debt as a ball and chain.
DAYDREAMER, it good to see you come out in the open :)

A security blanket can be very comforting -- I understand your viewpoint. Some decisions can have two right choices!

Coach

Hi and welcome

Glad that you finally delurked. Sounds like you have your ducks in a row. Given the money have saved, can you retire before your DW?

I could retire before DW reaches 55, but wouldn't be fair to her. She wants retirement just as much as me. We are a team, and as long as she has to get up every morning, I will too. Her company percs (pension/health care) are too good to ignore, so we decided to make her 55th birthday our official Retirement day. Oh what a wonderful birthday that will be!

Back
Top Bottom