Boomer Retirement Series on TV

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This series is available on PBS stations. But it can be viewed on-line.

The first show in the series was interesting. It gave some good background information.

The link to view it online is listed. You can look up your local schedule at the PBS web site.

WTTW - Retirement Revolution 2008 - Home

I watched Part 1 and it was mostly the history of retirement, interesting but not particularly useful. Part 2 (of 2) next Mon night will be more on the saving, investing, soc sec side which I expect to be more useful. FWIW...

I fell asleep watching it, but downloaded to my iPod (for free) at the WTTW11 website and watched it at lunch today. Ain't technology grand.

Midpack, I'd be willing to bet you a sixpack you don't learn anything from Part 2 that hasn't been discussed here - probably several times. I hope I lose, but I don't think I will...

Hmmmm. Let me try that again.

Midpack, bet you a sixpack
you learn nothing from 2
we didn't already knew...:D

I enjoyed part 1, and look forward to part 2. But the website makes me .... skeptical. Mass Mutual is a sponsor, and there seems to be an emphasis on products one could buy from an insurance company.

Coach

Last edited:
I enjoyed part 1, and look forward to part 2. But the website makes me .... skeptical. Mass Mutual is a sponsor, and there seems to be an emphasis on products one could buy from an insurance company.

Coach

Those PBS shows are usually funded by some foundation or company... often if it is financially related, there is a bank or insurance company in there somewhere.

I did not think the show would provide any planning advice that would be helpful.

I thought part 1 was particularly interesting. It provided a historical perspective. Since I have read on the subject in some earlier research, some of the information was not new (to me), but there was some interesting information that I had not heard before or thought about.

If you want to see what America was like before SS (and later Medicare), tune in and watch episode 1. It provides a fairly sobering view of what is in store for older people who do not have pensions and the like.

I watched it and enjoyed the historical perspectative as well. Now I understand where the phrase " poor house" came from. I appreciated the comments from the folks that lived through the depression. Reminded me of some of the stories my dad told me about his childhood. I'm looking forward to part II.

I enjoyed this. Thanks for posting the link. Also, part 2 is available online. No need to wait.

Back
Top Bottom