Turkey tries to raise retirement from 44 to 65

kombat

Full time employment: Posting here.
Violent protests erupt in Turkey over opposition to raising retirement age to 65

Many people across Turkey joined a brief work stoppage today — the second in a month — to protest against the plan to gradually raise the retirement age to 65, from a current 48 for men and 44 for women.

“We do not want to retire in the grave,” said Izzet Seferberoglu, a 30-year old protester.
Wow, can you imagine state-sponsored retirement at age 44?

Life expectancy in Turkey is 68.9 years for men and 73.8 years for women.

If women have a longer life expectancy in Turkey than men, why are they allowed to retire earlier under the current state-sponsored retirement plan?

If women have a longer life expectancy in Turkey than men, why are they allowed to retire earlier under the current state-sponsored retirement plan?

To take care of grandchildren.

Hah eat your (lightly braised with a smathering of lemon duck sauce) heart our France!

Wow, can you imagine state-sponsored retirement at age 44?
---

Yes, it's called the military. :) Not saying whether it's right or wrong, it's just how it is (I very much appreciate our troops' sacrifices!)

Always wanted to live in Istanbul/Constantinople/Byzantium. But this would be a deal breaker.

Many people across Turkey joined a brief work stoppage today — the second in a month — to protest against the plan to gradually raise the retirement age to 65, from a current 48 for men and 44 for women.
“We do not want to retire in the grave,” said Izzet Seferberoglu, a 30-year old protester.
(quote)

Take away my ER? Those are fighting words! :rant::rant::rant:

Take away my ER? Those are fighting words!

I don't think they're taking away the right to ER. My understanding is that Turks are currently eligible to receive government retirement benefits (analogous to Social Security in the US) as early as age 44 (for women) or 48 (for men). Unless I'm mistaken, you cannot file for Social Security in the US until age 60. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Turkey raising the age to receive government benefits to the more reasonable level of 65.

Of course, if you've accumulated sufficient assets of your own to retire without the need of state-sponsored retirement benefits, I think that's still perfectly fine in Turkey, as it is in the US.

Back
Top Bottom