Drop kids deduction if you're under AMT ?

Delawaredave5

Full time employment: Posting here.
Is it ever advantageous to not claim your kids as deductions ?

What if you are caught with AMT, and your kid under 18 has investment income over $1,700 ?

There's form 8615 -- which asks for parents income - above a certain level, the income gets taxed at parents rate.

If you dropped your kid as a deduction, the parent's tax rate might not get any better -- but the kid might avoid 8615 - and pay less tax ?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Why do you think the kid might avoid 8615? Don't know much about this but a quick reading of the tests for 8615 doesn't suggest that you could avoid it. Try asking here
fairmark.com in the AMT forum.

All I know is what my parent's did for me, we went the courthouse and had me emancipated once I was 18. So as far as the government is concerned, I have no parent's.

The advantages of this was that on taxes and FAFSA, I did not have to report an parental income.

The point was that my dad is a dentist and I was not going to get any grants for college with his income showing up.

Thanks - I'll check over at Fairmark.

Martha: cool icon !

I'm not about to emancipate my kid - in fact, if there was "magic dust" to stop him from growing up, I'd apply it liberally...

I was just theorizing that if a minor is not claimed on parents return then maybe there's no "hooks" from minor's tax return to parents. But this might not be true.

I have another kid over 18 - and their income is taxed at their rates - Turbotax did not ask for parents income or present the need for 8615.

Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom