2010~ SSAN to be removed from military ID cards

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
From an email that I received from MOAA. Better late than never?

DoD announced this week that it plans to remove Social Security Account Numbers (SSAN) from all military identification cards by the end of 2010. Instead, the cards will display only the last four digits of the SSAN.

Defense officials said this change is an effort to thwart identity theft — an acknowledgement that a lost ID card puts the cardholder and the military sponsor at risk for such theft.

The changes will be phased in for different beneficiary groups, with military family members being the first in line for updated cards this year. Within three years, all DoD-issued ID cards will show only the last four digits of the SSAN.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

There will need to be some type of unique identification number for everyone on active duty, so I guess we'll go back to Service Numbers. My guess is that they won't be issued by the services, but instead by DoD.

Since they going to leave the "last 4" on the card. With that number a few other items of data like last name, DOB, the can still get to the record they want and negate the need for another number (hopefully).

The only flaw in the scheme is that you actually have to go to the ID card center to get a new card.

I was thrown out of the Navy's PSD a couple years ago (while renewing our kid's ID card) because I flagrantly & heinously violated their dress code by wearing a tank top. In Hawaii. In August. I had a windbreaker in the car so we were all eventually able to get along but the OIC and I had words.

So I'm hoping to avoid repeating the ID card experience until 2025 when I go there to register for Medicare...

Many here are likely not old enough to know that Medicare Cards also have one's SSN on them.

And I am not aware of any plan to change this.

Ha

Ohio Drivers Licenses do too unless you ask for it to be omitted when you get it. I believe my CW license does too. MEDICARE Card too (haha). I think the SSN is pretty easy to get on most anyone which is why your DOB is important to guard along with your Mother's maiden name which seems to be a important piece of information.

Nords: You do not have to get the ID card changed when you go on MEDICARE (65) do you? My ID Card does not expire (expiration date on front says "indefinite"). My card was last issued in 99 and I went on MC in 05 no problems. Bet the PSD will be happy to hear this. BTW R is back home and finished with I (I sleep sounder now).

Nords: You do not have to get the ID card changed when you go on MEDICARE (65) do you? My ID Card does not expire (expiration date on front says "indefinite"). My card was last issued in 99 and I went on MC in 05 no problems. Bet the PSD will be happy to hear this. BTW R is back home and finished with I (I sleep sounder now).
As Dave Barry says, "Ha, ha, you would be wrong!"

The gate guard would never notice, but on the back of DD Form 2 there's a rectangle that says "Medical EXP DATE". The date is the last day of the month in which you turn 65, the age at which DEERS would be updated to reflect TRICARE as second payer to Medicare.

Or so it's been explained to me at a retiree seminar. If you're on Medicare with no problems then you'll get away with this administrative error "indefinitely". I'm hoping that by the time I turn 65 it'll all have been superceded by a bar code tattooed on my forehead.

We just got a TRICARE explanation-of-benefits letter caused by spouse's eye exam at the Costco optometrist. They submitted the claim with her SSN (not mine as the sponsor) and it was refused. Those are always fun to explain to a doctor who's using another subcontractor to do their medical paperwork.

As Dave Barry says, "Ha, ha, you would be wrong!"

The gate guard would never notice, but on the back of DD Form 2 there's a rectangle that says "Medical EXP DATE". The date is the last day of the month in which you turn 65, the age at which DEERS would be updated to reflect TRICARE as second payer to Medicare.

Or so it's been explained to me at a retiree seminar. If you're on Medicare with no problems then you'll get away with this administrative error "indefinitely". I'm hoping that by the time I turn 65 it'll all have been superceded by a bar code tattooed on my forehead.

We just got a TRICARE explanation-of-benefits letter caused by spouse's eye exam at the Costco optometrist. They submitted the claim with her SSN (not mine as the sponsor) and it was refused. Those are always fun to explain to a doctor who's using another subcontractor to do their medical paperwork.

Renewal of ID Cards at Age 65. Spouses and survivors must renew their military ID card at age 65 when evidence of Medicare Part B must be presented in order for the DEERS to reflect eligibility for Tricare for Life (TFL). Retiree ID cards do not expire; they are indefinite. However, the data on the back of the card concerning health benefits eligibility will have an expiration date on his/her 65th birthday. This date indicates the retiree is no longer eligible for TFL as first payer. When the member signs up for Part B¸ cross-referencing between Medicare and DEERS will pick up the fact that Part B has been obtained. Therefore, the ID card does not have to be renewed because of this date but may be if the member desire. To ensure that DEERS has picked up the Part B enrollment, the member can call DEERS at 1-800-538-9552 a few weeks after the first of the birth month or can visit the nearest ID card facility, e.g., Customer Service, Building 2314, March ARB. Office hours are 0730-1630, phone 951-655-3028. Because spouse and survivor ID cards can not be renewed more than 90 days before expiration, a spouse of 64 can only be issued an ID card for one (1) year. This is necessary to reflect eligibility for TFL when enrollment in Part B has been established at age 65.

Like so much in live "it depends".

Funny, I'm taking "training" for DEERS/RAPIDS version 7.0 upgrade right now, and there was no mention of a "dress code."

Pictures need to be clear, showing your eyes, neck up, with 80% of the picture being your head. Can't show neck down, or shoulders to avoid showing rank insignia or other junk.

I'm pretty sure you could be naked and get an ID photo done right.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

There will need to be some type of unique identification number for everyone on active duty, so I guess we'll go back to Service Numbers. My guess is that they won't be issued by the services, but instead by DoD.

They still have access to the SSAN, it is now stored on a chip on the new cards. Why they removed our Blood Types (to the chip) and left the SSN's out for all the world to see in the first place is beyond me.

Funny, I'm taking "training" for DEERS/RAPIDS version 7.0 upgrade right now, and there was no mention of a "dress code."
I think that was a "good idea" of the chain of command that got a bit out of hand and was overzealously enforced by the JO allegedly "in charge" of the place. (Quote: "It's my policy, and my superior supports it too!") As a retiree, I've learned that if I don't like a particular military policy then all I have to do is wait a couple years.

As a recovering nuke, I didn't help matters when I pointed out that we'd spent more time discussing my attire than we had taking our kid's photo... and that my ponytail was technically in violation of their dress code too. At that point the shavehead CPO kinda blew his gasket. I shouldn'ta laughed at him.

I'm pretty sure you could be naked and get an ID photo done right.
I was ready to go there, but cooler heads prevailed.

Our kid remembers this example of why the military might not be the best place for her to join. But to be fair I'm sure there are at least as many "Casual Friday" examples from the civilian side.

Back
Top Bottom