XP/Firefox/early-retire problem

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
As of Friday (April 11), early-retirement.org started causing Firefox to crash on the Dell laptop. No warning, no error message, just immediate close.

On desktop, no problem.

Right now, I'm on laptop with ATT Yahoo browser; works fine but I prefer Firefox.

What causes this crap? Why can't stuff just work?

Before you come to a final conclusion about the cause, I use Firefox and I've had no problem with this forum for the past few weeks.

Maybe it's something on your laptop. Corrupt file maybe?

As of Friday (April 11), early-retirement.org started causing Firefox to crash on the Dell laptop. No warning, no error message, just immediate close.

On desktop, no problem.

Right now, I'm on laptop with ATT Yahoo browser; works fine but I prefer Firefox.

What causes this crap? Why can't stuff just work?

Did you download the Firefox updated version? It came last week. Go to the mozilla site and download the updated version.

I've seen one case of odd behavior apparently 'cured' by just clearing the cache. Could be a corrupt file their that hoses things up. Worth a try - it's easy and no harm done.

-ERD50

I have a Dell XPS Laptop with Firefox and Thunderbird has been rock solid (but I am using Vista SP1 on it). I use FF and TB on my Desktop with XP Pro and it is also solid there. Maybe a reinstall or install of the latest version of Firefox would cure the problem? Also doing a disk cleanup along with a Defrag of the HD will not hurt and may help.

An update

Updating Firefox didn't work, clearing cache didn't work; deleting ER-org cookie worked.

Ad Aware 2007 and/or SpyBot S&D are free and they do help to keep tracking cookies off your system. Glad you got it fixed. Kind of surprised that the ER thing was doing it.

I don't have any problems with the forum, but I am interested to hear that this is where that tracking cookie is coming from. Every night when Norton scans my computer, it picks up what is apparently a tracking cookie, says it is low risk level, and I told it to delete them automatically. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It doesn't delete the cookie that keeps me logged in, though, which is the way I like it.

Back
Top Bottom