Maybe Money Does Buy Happiness After All

A moronic co-worker insisted that I fell asleep in a meeting at 10 AM. Yeah, OK, I think I would know when I'm tired, and if I am, I'm not asking for your permission to close my eyes. I emailed him and told him that baseless accusations are counter productive, unprofessional, and unethical and CCed the boss. God, it's good to have money in the bank so that you don't have to care about a j0b. I wouldn't have said sh*t 5 years ago.

With the price for a barrel of oil hitting $118 I guess happiness for today would be filling up one's tank without going over $72.:bat:

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

As noted, having money means money is one less thing to be concerned about. But this is a guy who once lost 10 lbs. in 5 days because I didn't have enough money to buy food. After that, more is gravy. Well, almost - my expectations have risen a tad since then.

And Wags has a point: "Happiness is a full tank of gas".

A moronic co-worker insisted that I fell asleep in a meeting at 10 AM. Yeah, OK, I think I would know when I'm tired, and if I am, I'm not asking for your permission to close my eyes. I emailed him and told him that baseless accusations are counter productive, unprofessional, and unethical and CCed the boss. God, it's good to have money in the bank so that you don't have to care about a j0b. I wouldn't have said sh*t 5 years ago.

Huh? Meeting are when I used to catch up on my sleep. Some were better for it than others.

Now I have to actually set aside some nap time for myself.

-ERD50

Huh? Meeting are when I used to catch up on my sleep. Some were better for it than others.

Now I have to actually set aside some nap time for myself.

-ERD50

OK, I have to admit that ER is better than working despite what I said about 4 months after I got my MBA. :) It's amazing how fast working for someone else can remind you why it sucks ass. It's as if just because you work at a place that everyone thinks he has the right to butt in on your business.

But this is a guy who once lost 10 lbs. in 5 days because I didn't have enough money to buy food.

You could write a diet book based on nothing more than this. In only a month I could be down to 100 pounds.

BTW, I heard the woman at U. Of Pennsylvania who did this research intereviewed on the radio today. She spun it as a justification for re-distributionist tax policies. She said that if the governemnt took only 1% from "wealthy people", who according to her would hardly miss it, and give it to some low earners, we might be able to make them deliriously happy. So we would massively increase the happiness of the society at large by this tiny little intervention.

I say why stop at American shores? Think how happy some guy in Upper Volta might be if he got 1% of my my money! The only problem is that I would not as mellow about this program as she suggests that I should be.

Interesting that this is actually just a "researched" restatement of Bentham's theory of utility.

A pox on her. :)

Ha

Last edited:
Money and happiness connection is an s curve shape. When one is barely getting by more money relieves basic problems... so there is a large increase in relief (being content) as your money increases. however... at a certain point, more money does not buy relief... It can buy comfort. But once one passes comfort into status... the effect of money increasing one's satisfaction flattens out.

I made it up... but it sounds good. ;)

Money and happiness connection is an s curve shape. When one is barely getting by more money relieves basic problems... so there is a large increase in relief (being content) as your money increases. however... at a certain point, more money does not buy relief... It can buy comfort. But once one passes comfort into status... the effect of money increasing one's satisfaction flattens out.

I made it up... but it sounds good. ;)

You are right it does sound good.

Being content with what one has gives one comfort but most of all peace of mind.

In the memory of Mr. Al Wilson who passed away here we go

YouTube - AL WILSON SHOW & TELL ORIGINAL VIDEO :angel:

Last edited:
I guess money can not buy you HAPPINESS look at the poor OLD devil who tried to buy himself a trophy wife and then she ends up on youtube presenting her divorce case. >:D

YouTube - Tricia Walsh Smith

If the poor OLD devil was going to get him a younger trophy wife he should have looked at this tall drink of water.:angel:

YouTube - Beautiful News Reporter (Melissa Theuriau) / More@ Ryoni.com

The french accent is enough to make old goat like me think about moving to France.:D

>:D>:D>:D betcha he had 'seconds' of happiness

>:D>:D>:D betcha he had 'seconds' of happiness

There is nothing wrong with having a few seconds of happiness as long as one does not have a heart attack and at the end of the expedition one can put his dentures back on for a photo-op smile.:D

Hey dirty old goats need loving too.>:D

Ah, when I first viewed that video of that French reporter, I thought what pathetic fool would go to all the trouble of putting together such a video? After watching it, a few, more like 5 times, I see why. It's strange, but she's so beautiful that I don't even want to have sex with her. Justin watching her is enough. :)

Ah, when I first viewed that video of that French reporter, I thought what pathetic fool would go to all the trouble of putting together such a video? After watching it, a few, more like 5 times, I see why. It's strange, but she's so beautiful that I don't even want to have sex with her. Justin watching her is enough. :)

Ok, so who wants a new avatar? She might even give Want2retire's pic a run for the money!

Ok, so who wants a new avatar? She might even give Want2retire's pic a run for the money!
Thank you! I think my avatar (Eva Habermann, a German model/actress) is gorgeous. Frank says I look like her, but he is just casting complements in my direction. :D

So many people have commented on this avatar (which was one of the defaults at the old website), that I explained on my profile that it is Eva Habermann, not me. Today, our profiles seem to be gone, probably due to the software upgrade last night, but if/when they return I'll put that back in.

Thank you! I think my avatar (Eva Habermann, a German model/actress) is gorgeous. Frank says I look like her, but he is just casting complements in my direction. :D

So many people have commented on this avatar (which was one of the defaults at the old website), that I explained on my profile that it is Eva Habermann, not me. Today, our profiles seem to be gone, probably due to the software upgrade last night, but if/when they return I'll put that back in.

Eva is one fine looking lady. :smitten::smitten:

W2R, there is nothing wrong with getting compliments from Frank. The man must know what he is talking about.:D:cool:

Eva is one fine looking lady. :smitten::smitten:

W2R, there is nothing wrong with getting compliments from Frank. The man must know what he is talking about.:D:cool:

Thank you! Frank is so sweet. :smitten: My hair is grey/white, unlike Eva's, but the hairstyle and general facial layout (two eyes, check! one nose, check! one mouth, check! etc) are a little similar. I like Eva's contemplative pose and I agree, she is a fine looking lady and classy, too.

I don't need a great deal of wealth to make me happy, just enough to keep my personal autonomy. That's something I didn't have when I was working. I am very appreciative of being able to take ER and that my time and my life are now my own. :)

Study: It Takes Hard Work To Be Happy

CBS News - Study: It Takes Hard Work To Be Happy

Study: It Takes Hard Work To Be Happy, 47 Percent Tell Survey Measuring Americans' Health And Happiness They Are Struggling - CBS News

Excerpts from article

(AP) Staying healthy and happy is a struggle for about half of Americans, according to a massive survey that attempts to measure the nation's general welfare, much like the Dow Jones Industrial Average portrays the health of the stock market.

The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, based on interviews of more than 100,000 people so far, shows that 47 percent of Americans are struggling and 4 percent are suffering. Forty-nine percent of respondents are reported to be thriving based on a personal assessment of how they feel about their lives at the time of the survey, and where they think they will be in five years.

End of excerpts.

Based on this article I am a thriving happy person. :cool:

Other then craving for a GYRO (70 miles away) I am a happy, happy, person.:bat:

Well, Wags...I think $$$$$$$$$'s can buy a lot of peace of mind and that is a formula for greater happiness. I'm working on the $$$$$$$$$s with some new enterprizes. I'm already a happy camper, with my daughter, health, a great place to live, lots of loving friends, and a new clear path in life--after a shocking blinding bump in the personal road a few years ago. I've dug a huge resevoir, built an even bigger dam, carved new channels and now am guiding the flow of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$s to the big river to fill my mental resevoir, overflow the dam and provide for me, my daughter and do a lot of good stuff besides.

Working at Happiness--the wrong approach in my opinion

I saw that report as well and was struck by the language of struggle=bad health and unhappiness. That maybe part of the problem. I don't have much money at THIS point (that is turning around rapidly) but my health and happiness quotient are VERY high and that is one of the factors that will contribute to my increased income in the near future. Getting healthy is not something I work hard at, but is a set of practices that have replaced former ways and relatiohsips that could have ended in liver cancer or heart disease the totally wrong direction. Most of what I do is not costly, but is a result of self-education. One simple thing is getting a lot of sleep. That doesn't cost anything except one's peace of mind, calm spirit, weight stabilization (along with diet change and more movement), heart health...etc. Sleep is that condition that "knits up the raveled sleeve of care" as Hamlet said.

Struggle is a mental condition that ends in bad health.

Back
Top Bottom