I hate Gasoline weed wackers!

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It is 79 degrees outside a beautiful day and my neighbor across the street is having sex with the darn machine for the past 30 minutes!!

Turn the efin thing off, I am watching this moron and still cannot figure how much more the idiot wants to cut!!

Efin noise!

I mean he also has the protective glasses on, heavy workboots . long sleeves and overalls on!!

Oh his yard is .08 of an acre!!! Those real small lots!

$hit I thought the dude was done, he just got out the damn LEAF BLOWER that is louder than the other gasoline machine. I bet he cuts the grass next!

I will not go inside!!!! Get an efin BROOM!!!

You'd really enjoy my 40cc whacker/hedge cutter.

Every time I take it out my wife calls it the "wicked looking instrument".

Will there be any more outrage today, sir?

img_648432_0_d4ecbce1520b00153412f7428f8b9184.jpg

You'd really enjoy my 40cc whacker/hedge cutter.

Every time I take it out my wife calls it the "wicked looking instrument".

Will there be any more outrage today, sir?

img_648437_0_d4ecbce1520b00153412f7428f8b9184.jpg

Who knows, I might drink a bit more and head out with a friend and cause all kinds of trouble tonight!!

Dude You know what I am saying, its efin beautiful out right now and this guy is efin things up big time. Doing things that should take 10 mins and doubling the time. A real OCD dude and heck even yells at the neighborhood kids when they walk on his grass!!

I'm with you 100%. There's almost always some kind of noise going on, either a whacker, a lawn mower, loud music, etc. I moved to the country to get away from it, but three new houses have gone up here since we moved.

A real OCD dude and heck even yells at the neighborhood kids when they walk on his grass!!

Are you that guy up the street who scowls at me when the little vandals try to destroy the results of my hard work?>:D

Powered stuff in my shed:

1: 22 year old gasoline powered lawn mower.
2. Gasoline powered 2-stroke string trimmer.
3. Gasoline powered 2-stroke hand-held leaf blower.
4. Gasoline powered 2-stroke backpack leaf blower, the biggest (and, I assume, the loudest) Echo made at the time.
5. Gasoline powered 2-stroke hedge trimmer.
6. Gasoline powered 2-stroke edger.
7. Gasoline powered 5 hp leaf & branch shredder, used stationary.
8. Gasoline powered 4 hp leaf vacuum, looks like a lawn mower.
9. Gasoline powered 2-stroke hand-held leaf vacuum & shredder for the leaves that get trapped in the azalea bushes.
10. Gasoline powered 7 hp snow thrower.
11. Gasoline powered 5 hp pressure washer, belt-driven professional grade.
12. Gasoline powered 5 hp Honda generator for when the lights go out, at least this one is "super quiet" at 64 DbA max.
13. Gasoline powered small garden tiller.

Can you tell I hate using long electric cords?

Hmmm.... no wonder the shed's getting a little crowded.

Yes, I wear ear plugs and the glasses - ever get smacked in the eyeball by a piece of grass going 90 mph? It's one of those things you only do once. I pass on the boots & long sleeves though.

But I can't say I've ever spent half an hour with the string trimmer, more like 5 - 10 minutes.

You are welcome to stop by and use the hand-powered grass shears and a broom if you prefer to do the work.

Powered stuff in my shed:

1: 22 year old gasoline powered lawn mower.
2. Gasoline powered 2-stroke string trimmer.
3. Gasoline powered 2-stroke hand-held leaf blower.
4. Gasoline powered 2-stroke backpack leaf blower, the biggest (and, I assume, the loudest) Echo made at the time.
5. Gasoline powered 2-stroke hedge trimmer.
6. Gasoline powered 2-stroke edger.
7. Gasoline powered 5 hp leaf & branch shredder, used stationary.
8. Gasoline powered 4 hp leaf vacuum, looks like a lawn mower.
9. Gasoline powered 2-stroke hand-held leaf vacuum & shredder for the leaves that get trapped in the azalea bushes.
10. Gasoline powered 7 hp snow thrower.
11. Gasoline powered 5 hp pressure washer, belt-driven professional grade.
12. Gasoline powered 5 hp Honda generator for when the lights go out, at least this one is "super quiet" at 64 DbA max.
13. Gasoline powered small garden tiller.

Wow, very impressive. I'll bet the EPA helicopters are making plans for a raid on your shed as we speak. Is it all newfangled motors, or have you got plenty of sturdy Briggs and Stratton warhorses in there?

1 3 year old gasoline powered lawn mower
1 electric powered pressure washer
1 kerosene heater
1 Sears rotary sidewalk edger, human powered
1 hand grass clippers
2 brooms
1 Snow shovel

Sunday I had my gas-powered blower/vac out for about an hour sucking up & mulching leaves and other garden debri. Then I cranked up the Toro and mowed the lawn at a nice leisurely pace, that took a little more than an hour. After that, I fired up my big-@ss chipper, and chipped up a large pile of branches and sticks.....took about an hour and a half. So I generated quite a bit of racket for around three and a half hours......other than that, the neighborhood was pretty darn quiet! :D

BTW, my big-@ss chipper is as loud as the ones used by tree services and power companies........LOOOOUD!!! >:D

Other gas-powered stuff I have and use:

Garden Tractor/Mower (Craftsman)
Tiller (Stihl)
Weed-Whacker (Stihl)
Snowblower (Toro)
Generator (Craftsman)

Last edited:
Wow, very impressive. I'll bet the EPA helicopters are making plans for a raid on your shed as we speak. Is it all newfangled motors, or have you got plenty of sturdy Briggs and Stratton warhorses in there?

All are at least ten years old and in truth the leaf and hedger tools are only used over at my FIL's house any more, and that not very much. That stuff was bought when we lived in MD and in the fall we'd be knee-deep in leaves without them. Most of it was bought over a period of about six or eight years. The edger I found on overstock.com for about $80, the rest is mostly Echo stuff since I noticed that's a brand that the professional groundskeepers tend to use, implying that they're made to take abuse and last. So far I haven't been disappointed.

My Dad always bought the cheapest tools he could find and then swore because they didn't work well or last long, so I learned the lesson.

My Dad always bought the cheapest tools he could find and then swore because they didn't work well or last long, so I learned the lesson.

I learned from my Dad and Grandad to only buy high quality tools....they usually cost more, but the price is well worth it. I switched my reasoning capabilities off for a few minutes a few of years ago, and got a "great deal" on an inexpensive POS blower/vac....about $39. It lasted ALMOST 30 minutes before the engine blew up!

I've been using my Craftsman for about 3 years, and it works superbly.

Two things I never scrimp on......tools and shoes! I only buy quality, regardless of price.

I have found out that if you stop mowing your lawn, the neighbors will send their kids over to ask if you need help.

$hit I thought the dude was done, he just got out the damn LEAF BLOWER that is louder than the other gasoline machine. I bet he cuts the grass next!

I will not go inside!!!! Get an efin BROOM!!!

What's a Leafblower?:)

After we got our kids launched, we built a place on the rim of a canyon in the Sierras, 21 years ago. (Nearest neighbor, over a mile away).

Mountain Quail, and the very distinct sounds of Mountain Lions during mating season are the about
the only sounds that break up the silence.

You're retired, Newguy, so if your neighbors are really getting on your nerves, there are alternatives. (But probably a good idea to see a Mental Health professional first to see if you can handle it).:)

Oh his yard is .08 of an acre!!! Those real small lots!

In trying to hit the "quote" button, I just hit the "thanks" button twice. Um, thanks? :2funny:

Anyway, I was going to point out the tiny lot size. I live on a tiny lot right now, too (50'x100'). It is so easy to be annoyed over noise issues on a tiny lot like this! Other examples might be constantly barking Hounds of the Baskervilles, Harleys that need tune-ups, radios blasting while car-washing, and incessant hammering, for example. I can often be found muttering under my breath about "stupid, inconsiderate, typically prole behavior" but a rational assessment tells me that the problem is not the neighbors, but how close together we are.

For those of us planning to move for ER, this is something to consider in selecting a home. I plan to buy an ER house on at least 1/3 to 3/4 acre. I think that I am constitutionally unsuited to having neighbors any closer than 40 feet away on each side. I plan to hire someone to cut the grass, run the power edger, power mower, power leaf blower, power hedge trimmer, power weed whacker, power snowblower, power chain saw, and such. :angel:

Last edited:
It would be nice if cities had quiet times. But not likely.

The town where I grew up doesn't allow gas powered leaf blowers or trimmers. Lawn mowing is only allowed from 8:30 to 4pm I believe.

As for me, the lawn tools don't bother me as much as snow blowers. Our neighbor (who is retired and doesn't go anywhere) likes to clear his driveway at 5am. That alone is the reason my wife doesn't have the combination to the gun safe.

Yeah, running motors in the off hours is pretty bad. I do most of my loud stuff between 8-5 monday through friday when all the schmucks are at work.

Walt, you may force me to go out and buy some more yard equipment. I though my pile-o-stuff was pretty impressive, and I do have the worlds largest weed whacker, which is not even in production any more. A whacker, blower, hedge cutter, pressure washer, tiller, a riding mower and a regular mower. All four stroke except the blower. I've been looking longingly at a backpack blower. Not much need for a snowblower around here.

I wonder if anyone makes a good quality set of attachments that use the same motor? I'd be willing to fork over some serious money for a high-quality 3hp motor if I could get attachments to let it run a backpack blower/vac, run a small garden tiller, run a 1400 watt generator, run a pressure washer, run a water/trash pump, run a small chipper, run a wheel-mounted leaf vac, run a snow blower, etc. Maybe even a lawn mower (for small lots--heck, everybody used 3 HP mowers when I was growing up). Each attachment could be less expensive than a separate machine with its own motor, and it would all take up less storage space. Plus, they could afford to make the motor a real gem, with a good muffler, etc.

They've got a similar set up for smaller motors (50-80cc two and four strokes with a shaft drive to take trimmer, tiller, blower attachments), this would be the next step up.

This sounds like it might be a fun DIY project. In my future I see a lot of universal joints, abandoned parts from various lawn-care implements, and a trip to the ER or two.

Seems like everyone wants to be noticed with their Harley with the open pipes, truck or sports car with the flowmaster mufflers, the 200hp Bassboats, firecrackers all summer long, or the loud music. I don't have a problem with the noise from people working, be it a chainsaw, snow blower, yard blower, weed whacker, lawn mower or tracter but the uneccessary noise from inconsiderate people just making noise for noise sake drives me nuts..

.........power chain saw.....

That's the one I forgot to put on my list.....I knew I missed something!

I bought it because......ummm......I ummm......[-]needed it[/-] didn't have one! Actually I thought after ER I might attempt to do some chainsaw carving. It's a neat way to use an old tree stump or a big log. ;)

That's the one I forgot to put on my list.....I knew I missed something!

I bought it because......ummm......I ummm......[-]needed it[/-] didn't have one! Actually I thought after ER I might attempt to do some chainsaw carving. It's a neat way to use an old tree stump or a big log. ;)
My buddy tried chainsaw carving. After 24 stitches his wife made him give up that hobby.

My buddy tried chainsaw carving. After 24 stitches his wife made him give up that hobby.

Yep, accidents do happen. One of my Dad's best friends from his days in the USN, was out cutting a branch off one off his trees about 12-15 years ago, the chainsaw kicked backed and decapitated him. Ever since his sudden demise, I've been extremely (probably overly) cautious when I fire up my saw. That's also been one of the reasons I haven't gotten around to trying my hand at using it to carve up any stumps....yet.

violent-smiley-014.gif

I have a chain saw on a 10' long pole.

THAT makes the wife a little bit nervous.

Sam, if you find any of the clicklock style power heads in the 50-80cc range, let me know. I havent seen anything over 40 and the biggest one I've seen for sale right now is about 34.

Back
Top Bottom