Home depot closing stores.

They've built several stores out here in the past couple of years, for obvious reasons, and they have either recently opened or are scheduled to open shortly. So has Lowe's, and all seem to be doing brisk business as far as I can tell.

i've got a home depot and a lowes within 5 minutes of me and another home depot 2 minutes down the road from the lowes. maybe if one of the three closes we can have our little neighborhood hardware stores back.

i've got a home depot and a lowes within 5 minutes of me and another home depot 2 minutes down the road from the lowes. maybe if one of the three closes we can have our little neighborhood hardware stores back.

Lazy, you hit the nail on the head! That's exactly why I want to remain in the over-priced city. There are three really cool family-owned hardware stores within walking distance. Paid ten bucks recently for a coffee mug, didn't mind a bit. :D

There's one closing in my neck of the woods, and I am surprised it took this long. Kmart already vacated across the street 3 years ago.

There's one closing in my neck of the woods, and I am surprised it took this long. Kmart already vacated across the street 3 years ago.

Are you in East Brunswick?? Grew up in Old Bridge from NYC.

One knows that the economy is bad and there are bad times in the air when Home Depot and Starbucks are experiencing difficult ec·o·nom·ic times.

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

Lazy, you hit the nail on the head! That's exactly why I want to remain in the over-priced city. There are three really cool family-owned hardware stores within walking distance. Paid ten bucks recently for a coffee mug, didn't mind a bit. :D

In the thirty three years we've lived in our house I can't count all the big box stores that have come and gone. These guys are like ambulance chasers, always moving with the flow of new construction.

In all that time two local neighborhood hardware stores have survived and are still kicking. They usually beat the big box stores on price too for some common stuff like pipe fittings and electrical items. Their specialty is having repair parts for a lot of plumbing fixtures that are common to our area.

I'm just trying to think of all the big box stores that once were, but are no longer in our area.......

Busy Beaver
Mr How
Builders Square
Central Hardware
Hechingers

Some of my favorite lumber yards fell victim to these turkeys too. :(

These guys were all big chains with half a dozen stores in town, and now their gone. With that kind of track record I would imagine it won't be too long till Lowes and Home Depot follow in their footsteps.

I like Lowe's much better than Home Depot. Hopefully they don't go downhill. HD just reminds me of another junk store without the character of an old neighborhood hardware store. There seems to be a HD every few miles around here, but I would drive past three of them to get to Lowe's. The family run hardware store near me is pretty good too, but the people seem to have an attitude.

The two closing in Ohio are in my neighborhood. When they close (each about 22-25 miles away in different directions), I think the closest one will be about 50-60 miles.

I like Lowe's much better than Home Depot. Hopefully they don't go downhill. HD just reminds me of another junk store without the character of an old neighborhood hardware store. There seems to be a HD every few miles around here, but I would drive past three of them to get to Lowe's. The family run hardware store near me is pretty good too, but the people seem to have an attitude.
I have both a Lowe's and a Home Depot close to my house, and I regard them as more or less interchangeable big box stores.

What I really like is the Ace Hardware down in the Garden District. Most Ace Hardwares don't do a thing for me, but this one is just so full of things that are hard to find elsewhere. It's amazing what Frank and I come across in that store, though the prices are higher than prices at the big box stores and though it is not very close to where I live.

I'd think they'd do better now since people would be more inclined to DIY maintenance and renovations rather than move or hire contractors. Apparently not the case.

A HD just opened six months ago 15 minutes away, a Lowes is 10 minutes the other way. Like Want2Retire, to me they are interchangeable. The local old-time hardware store with wood floors has an attitude and did nothing to encourage me to come back.

I think Lowes and HD are basically interchangeable too, but in some areas you will see one managed a lot better than the other. So I can definitely see why someone would favor one over the other locally, but IMO you shouldn't hold to that nationally.

To tie this to another thread, to a degree I think this is true with Walmart and Target. Generally I think Target > Walmart in terms of nearly everything but price, but there are some areas where the Walmart store is better all around that the local Target. Not too many though, from my experience.

I think Lowes and HD are basically interchangeable too, but in some areas you will see one managed a lot better than the other. So I can definitely see why someone would favor one over the other locally, but IMO you shouldn't hold to that nationally.

In my particular case, the nearest HD has helpful knowledgeable staff, the Lowes did not appear to have any employees at all.

These guys are like ambulance chasers, always moving with the flow of new construction.

In all that time two local neighborhood hardware stores have survived and are still kicking.

yup, only it isn't just new construction. they especially love up & coming rehab areas like mine. thus the three of them within almost walking distance.

we used to have three really good family-run hardware stores but only one has survived the bigbox onslaught. nice people too. i was just there a few weeks ago. good to see that they are still locally popular.

meanwhile according to The Home Depot

The closing stores represent less than 1% of the Company's existing store portfolio...The Home Depot intends to grow square footage by approximately 1.5 percent per year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom