Indiana Jones vs Real archaeologists

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
With the new Indiana Jones movie due out this week, I thought that this piece was timely and revealing.

"Not a whole lot of what we know as archaeology goes on in these movies, except what the Nazis do. They seem to be doing some real archaeological work," said Walsh, who wrote the cover story in the May-June issue of Archaeology magazine examining the real history of crystal skulls featured in the new "Indiana Jones" movie.

Jaime Awe, director of the Institute of Archaeology in Belize, is a big fan of the "Indiana Jones" movies but shows them to students as "examples of what not to do," he said.

"I tell them the only difference between Indiana Jones and myself is he always gets the goodies and gets the beautiful women and gets paid a lot of money, and I don't get any of that," Awe said.
Jones': Real archaeologists don't have whips - AOL News

I doubt that hours and hours of [-]chipping rocks[/-] excavation in the hot sun would make for an exciting movie...

A fake chasing after a fake
The Netherlands: Visions and Revisions (Skeptical Inquirer July / August 2006)

The chief power of the skulls seems to be that of attracting the credulous, including some with fantasy-prone personalities, and transporting them to a mystical realm from which they return with addled senses. It seems likely that further revelations about the crystal skulls will best come, not from channeling sessions, but from science and scholarship.

Back
Top Bottom