Home Security Cameras

BunsGettingFirm

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am not much of a techie but I was thinking about getting a few of those wireless security cameras to place strategically around the house. And then I saw on a TV show how easy it was for anyone within a short distance from your house to pick up the wireless signal from the camera and turn the surveillance system against you (to case your house for example). So for me, any surveillance system will have to be hard wired...

I don't have such a security system -- our son lives nearby and checks periodically. However, we have been traveling quite a bit in the past year (or so) and our house sits empty for weeks at a time (About half the time) so I am "on the lookout." When we arrived back home a couple days ago, I found this interesting thought among my backlog of e-mails:

Free through August and then only $15 a year (yes, year) after that.

Article that tipped me off:
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/software-reviews/home-monitoring/

http://www.homecamera.com/web/Home.do

I know almost nothing more than this but it did catch my attention.

I am not much of a techie but I was thinking about getting a few of those wireless security cameras to place strategically around the house. And then I saw on a TV show how easy it was for anyone within a short distance from your house to pick up the wireless signal from the camera and turn the surveillance system against you (to case your house for example). So for me, any surveillance system will have to be hard wired...

Fire, where did you see the report that the wireless version can be easily hacked? I guess if it uses WAP or WEP, then the cameras can be hacked. I would appreciate having the Google search words that you used to find the report.

BTW, the cheaper version only has Ethernet connection.

Hi buns,

I didn't find the report on the internet. It was on a TV show a while back (maybe "catch a thief" on discovery?). Two guys were driving down the street in a minivan with some kind of receiver and they were able to pick up the wireless signals from various houses on the street. They were able to see what people were doing in their own house simply by parking their van nearby. I am not sure they were able to pick up the wireless signal because the people had not protected their signal using encryption or if they had some kind of decryption tool. It might be the former... About half my neighbors have unprotected wireless networks...

I grew up in NY so I am security concious. For around $200 ( Plus CCTV ) the G4-760 is an awesome DVR. You can plug 4 cameras in. You can view live video remotely. You can on any camera configure what constititutes a 'scene change' and it can email you and ftp images off site. You can set recording continually recycling the hard drive for last 40-80 hours at low frame rate - but if triggered it goes into full frame rate recording. I have had mine for 4 years now and in unattended no maintenance it works as advertised.

Back
Top Bottom