FIRE in the USA

Bankerwithabrain

Recycles dryer sheets
After doing some research into possible retirement places around the world, it seems to me that the US is likely one of the cheapest places to live after the dollar decline.

Anyone know of beautiful places in America (on a mountain, by a lake...), where housing is still affordable?

West Virginia, for one.

Beautiful state, one can still find a decent single family home for less than six figures. Not luxurious, but decent.

Reputations notwithstanding, yes we have indoor plumbing and electricity. In fact, I have had no need for the backup generator since leaving Maryland.

There must be something in the water though, because I have developed an affinity for Bluegrass music, a desire to put oversize tires on the (de rigueur) pickup truck, and my little sister is starting to look kind of cute....

Cheap being able to live the life of a recluse. House less than $100k.

Get yourself a nice rocking chair and just watch the mountains.

Uh, let's see:

NY State (Finger Lakes are gorgeous, for example)
Parts of PA
WV
KY
Eastern TN
Northern Alabama
Parts of NM (northern half of the state, roughly)
Parts of CO
UT
Montana
Maybe bits of Idaho

You can get a nice home for under $100K in Roanoke, VA. My brother in law and his family live there. Very pretty area with wonderful mountain views.

You can get a nice home for under $100K in Roanoke, VA. My brother in law and his family live there. Very pretty area with wonderful mountain views.

We lived there 9 months, definitely beautiful. And Smith Mountain Lake is not far away (although I highly doubt houses on the water are under 100k!)

Sadly, with your requirement for "on a mountain, by a lake," your under $100k goal will be tough, especially if you're looking for a turnkey setup. American retirees and developers have done a lot to push prices up the past few years in previously considered out of the way places.

I've done extensive research in Missouri, Arkansas and Tennessee for retiree living opportunities with outdoorsey amenities such as water, land or a wonderful view. Anything under $100k these days is going to have some significant drawback: requires a 4 wheel drive vehicle to reach; is in poor condition; is a mobile home; no library, hospital, etc., within an hour's drive; and those sort of things.

It is relatively easy, however, to find a decent, comfortable home for under $100k in town. It's just the water, land or view part that makes it tough. At least that's what I found.

But perhaps I underestimate your willingness to "live the life of a recluse" as you put it. ;)

Detroit, Michigan. You can get a house for $500 on a mountain of despair next to a lake of misery.

Single Family Home - DETROIT, MI, 48213 - Realtor.com

Baraga, Michigan. Single Family Home - 14614 Payne Rd, Baraga, MI, 49908 - Realtor.com. Little above your price range, but close to the water. Baraga is at the top of a mountain, and close to some decent skiing.

Calumet, Michigan. What a steal at only $40k! Single Family Home - 58302 Calumet Waterworks Rd, Calumet, MI, 49913 - Realtor.com. Fixer-upper.

Houghton, Michigan is a nice area. Lake Superior is an easy drive in multiple directions. Housing is very cheap there. Tech university in town (Michigan Tech). Small. Lots of big hills and small mountains. The downside (or upside) is that the homes have docks off of their front doors so people can get out in the winter. Many a Tech student has a story of jumping out of the second story window into the snow. Winter lasts from mid-October to late April. However, the Keweenaw Peninsula is some of the most beautiful country in the US (imho).

Detroit, Michigan. You can get a house for $500 on a mountain of despair next to a lake of misery.

Baraga, Michigan. Single Family Home - 14614 Payne Rd, Baraga, MI, 49908 - Realtor.com. Little above your price range, but close to the water. Baraga is at the top of a mountain, and close to some decent skiing.

Calumet, Michigan. What a steal at only $40k! Single Family Home - 58302 Calumet Waterworks Rd, Calumet, MI, 49913 - Realtor.com. Fixer-upper.

Houghton, Michigan is a nice area. Lake Superior is an easy drive in multiple directions. Housing is very cheap there. Tech university in town (Michigan Tech). Small. Lots of big hills and small mountains. The downside (or upside) is that the homes have docks off of their front doors so people can get out in the winter. Many a Tech student has a story of jumping out of the second story window into the snow. Winter lasts from mid-October to late April. However, the Keweenaw Peninsula is some of the most beautiful country in the US (imho).

Looks pretty congruent with my findings in the mid-south. A mobile home, an almost 100 year old fixer-upper and one $33k over the price limit but looks pretty good. ;)

$100k is hard to do these days!

BTW, I like the UP but would probably have to get a 1 - 2 month break from winter which would have to be figured into the cost of living there.

After doing some research into possible retirement places around the world, it seems to me that the US is likely one of the cheapest places to live after the dollar decline.

Anyone know of beautiful places in America (on a mountain, by a lake...), where housing is still affordable?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are a lot of places that might not end up on magazine covers, but which are genuinely beautiful and inexpensive, as well. Look in small town or rural locations throughout the Midwest and most of the South, for example, as well as other regions.

Choosing one? Now, that's half the fun! Welcome to the search and good luck in finding just the right place for you. :)

Family In roanoke

My Fathers family are all from Roanoke. My 2 aunts live on Blue Ride Drive. Ferguson was the family name. I haven't been there in over 20 years. I bet it has changed quit a bit! I like that real estate price...considering what we pay here in southern california.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are a lot of places that might not end up on magazine covers, but which are genuinely beautiful and inexpensive, as well. Look in small town or rural locations throughout the Midwest and most of the South, for example, as well as other regions.

That's for sure. And some places are really, really nice for part of the year. The Ohio town where I went to college had glorious summers and falls (crappy, grey winters, though). But to look at it on paper, you wouldn't even think about living there.

If I ever relocate for retirement, I would probably do some travelling before making a decision. There are lots of neat places in the US taht aren't that expensive.

i thought the norris lake area of tenn. was pretty nice. lots of water to play in. smokey mountains nearby. knoxville with a university not too far away.

Not really. Is a lake a requirement or would you settle for a river? That expands the possibilities.

Very interesting - I would love to hear the condition of the $500. home and about the area that it lays...

Very interesting - I would love to hear the condition of the $500. home and about the area that it lays...

I would imagine that you will no problem starting your own Fight Club down in the basement.

Back
Top Bottom