2008 Health Insurance Guide for Seniors

Thanks! I will add it to the health insurance FAQ as we have nothing to speak of on medicare issues.

One thing it points out about Medicare is that care in a foreign country is not covered
and this includes even emergency care which many corporate retiree plans cover.
So those for whom foreign travel is in the cards should prepare accordingly.

One thing it points out about Medicare is that care in a foreign country is not covered
and this includes even emergency care which many corporate retiree plans cover.
So those for whom foreign travel is in the cards should prepare accordingly.

"Medigap" policies "C" thru "J" cover foreign country emergency care. Medigap (different providers) is purchased from a private company in addition to the basic A/B Medicare coverage.

- Ron

In some countries it doesn't matter. My daughter's friend who was traveling with us was hospitalized in Amsterdam and ended up having surgery. I automatically reached for my credit card when I was registering her and they looked at me like I had two heads.

"Medigap" policies "C" thru "J" cover foreign country emergency care. Medigap (different providers) is purchased from a private company in addition to the basic A/B Medicare coverage.

- Ron

Ron......thanks for correcting my incomplete reference above. I meant,
as you pointed out , that the basic Medicare A/B does not cover foreign country emergency care. It was a surprise to me when I found that out.
Even with my retiree plan options, it is not a listed feature on the plan description comparison charts that are sent each yr and you have to dig a bit to find out if it is covered or not.

Ron......thanks for correcting my incomplete reference above. I meant,
as you pointed out , that the basic Medicare A/B does not cover foreign country emergency care. It was a surprise to me when I found that out.
Even with my retiree plan options, it is not a listed feature on the plan description comparison charts that are sent each yr and you have to dig a bit to find out if it is covered or not.

Hey - no problem. I'm not on Medicare (too young :cool: ), but my disabled son is. I've been "reading the books" since he went on Medicare 5+ years ago. I certainly don't know it all, but I know of some of the "quirks"...

Take care,

- Ron

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom