The Bear Officially arrived!

The Bear market on some stocks is unreal... What is good for GM is good for the country! OUCH

The price drop on GM is truly incredible a chart of that stock is really a drop off a ledge, in one year it has fallen 74 percent. If they do go bancrupt as is being feared this will really throw a huge amount of retirees prospects up for grabs. Their 5 year bond is falling almost as fast as their stock, trading for a yield of 18.4 percent, probably a better buy than the stock if the company can manage to stay solvent!

MarketBeat : Like a Rock...Tied to Your Feet

Per Motley Fool, the typical bear market occurs every 5 years, lasts 10-20 months, hits its trough at about 25% off of peak, and recovers rather quickly with lots of lurching before it rises 20%, then slows down. These are means, lots of variation.

Sometimes when I see a news story about the stock market that sounds either too ominous or overly optimistic, I ask myself what headline I might write instead. It usually goes something like this: "In the long run, stock returns are likely to revert to historical averages." It's not very snappy, sensational, or even very interesting. But it's a guidepost that you can stick to in both good markets and bad ... for the long term.

Or are we just in the mid-cycle of returning to the average of the 10% growth?

Per Motley Fool, the typical bear market occurs every 5 years, lasts 10-20 months, hits its trough at about 25% off of peak, and recovers rather quickly with lots of lurching before it rises 20%, then slows down. These are means, lots of variation.

So in other words...buy, buy, BUY!...?

I have a whopping $5k on the sidelines I'm ready to move into the market! So everybody wait a couple more weeks since I never buy the bottom. :)

There is a very easy way to stop the GM bankruptcy.

"In the interest of National Security the Congress of the United States mandates that retiree pension and healthcare obligations of General Motors are senior to all other bankruptcy claims. The bankruptcy court must establish a trust with sufficient cash assets to pay 100% of actuarially determined obligations prior to paying any bondholder, stockholder, or Carl Icahn.”

When one considers the state of the market with the weak USD and inflation (in part due to the weak USD). It seems like we are losing ground faster than we can make it up.

I am not sure we ever fully recovered from the last recession/bear market.

Why Bernanke wants to stay on the sidelines - Jun. 26, 2008

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom