Tomorrows market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentley

Recycles dryer sheets
With the recent downturn of the market, along with an uncertain future, what do you plan to do with your portfolio tomorrow? Futures call for another significant down day on Monday, July 7.

At 55, and desperatly wanting to ER, I'm considering pulling out of the market and going to cd's for a while.

your thoughts?

The future of the market is always uncertain, that's nothing new. Also, the market has "downturns" on a regular basis, that's nothing new either. I don't see a reason to do anything different tommorow.

With the recent downturn of the market, along with an uncertain future, what do you plan to do with your portfolio tomorrow?
your thoughts?

Umm... Ignore it for a few days, then maybe look.

With the recent downturn of the market, along with an uncertain future, what do you plan to do with your portfolio tomorrow? Futures call for another significant down day on Monday, July 7.

At 55, and desperatly wanting to ER, I'm considering pulling out of the market and going to cd's for a while.

your thoughts?
The last thing I would want to do in a bear market is sell. Remember? "Buy low, sell high" seems to work better than the reverse.

If the Dow drops below 11,000 tomorrow I might buy. Otherwise I'll probably sit tight.

Listen to JustCurious amd W2R. The absolute worst thing you can do is try to time the markets. Read any of the good investing books and the message is universal - in times of bad markets those who do nothing fair much better long term then those who try to time out and then back in again. If you feel your AA is wrong and therefore too risky then figure out where it needs to be and start working towards that with new money and redirected dividends/capital gains etc.

DD

Listen to JustCurious amd W2R. The absolute worst thing you can do is try to time the markets. Read any of the good investing books and the message is universal - in times of bad markets those who do nothing fair much better long term then those who try to time out and then back in again. If you feel your AA is wrong and therefore too risky then figure out where it needs to be and start working towards that with new money and redirected dividends/capital gains etc.

Careful. Some people will see that as "starry-eyed optimism"... :D

Buying tomorrow DCA :p Otherwise doing nothing. Last week did move a bit from fixed to the SP 500 Index.

I know. Im a fool. The world is probably going to end and only annuities,gold,oil,guns,water and food are the smart bets ^-^

That could happen!! But...
When the skies are brighter canary yellow
I forget ev'ry cloud I've ever seen,
So they called me a cockeyed optimist
Immature and incurably green.

I have heard people rant and rave and bellow
That we're done and we might as well be dead,
But I'm only a cockeyed optimist
And I can't get it into my head.

I'd rather be a starry-eyed optimist, than a gloomy gus who never realizes that the market goes both up and down.
:D:angel:

Last edited:
if you think your smart enough to know when to dump your equities, why didn't you do it last fall?

I sure hope not! Given that I'm an active accumulator I would (secretly) like to see a further 10-20% decline :eek:. At that point I would seriously consider timing the market and invest my E fund and current bonds into equities :eek::eek::eek:.

DD

Nothing tommorrow, but as I get some more money I plan to continue investing as I have been.
Hopefully all week people will panic and sell, so at the start of next week I will get even bigger bargains;)

If the market drops below 11,000 tomorrow I will sell a chunk of my Bear fund and reinvest the proceeds in VTSMX. This week we will be adding money to my wife's 401K and ESPP, my IRA and our taxable account (scheduled contributions). So we'll be buyers no matter what.

I'm sitting on my hands to keep from liquidating even though I know it would be absolutely the wrong thing to do. I did have to change future contributions for dh to some kind of treasury money market fund, else he wanted to stop all 401K contributions from his payroll and use the money to pay down the mortgage. It's scary times. I guess it just pays not to look some days!

I'm going to take the day off from work and have a nice breakfast

Probably nothing.

The automated 401k and after tax investments will be invested as scheduled.

I have about 5% cash and 20% bonds. Last week I moved some cash to equities although it wasn't really enough to make much difference (<1% of investments.) If the market goes down more this week I may move some more to equities.

History suggests that is the best course of action although it could be different this time ;)

MB

Likely watch the market drop another 1.5+% and curse myself for not having bailed back on May 2. At this point, it is too late and we get to suffer the consequences.

I'm buying tomorrow, as already stated buy low sell high.

Likely watch the market drop another 1.5+% and curse myself for not having bailed back on May 2. At this point, it is too late and we get to suffer the consequences.
The doom and gloomer's are predicting another 20% drop.

Last October, they were predicting a dow of 15 by year end '07....lol

What if tomorrow is the high?
the high as compared to what?
the dow hit 14,000 going up less than a year ago. It's knocking on 11,000 heading down now.
The 64 dollar question is what low is built into todays dow?
The market is usually priced out 3 to 6 months...until bad news arrives, which is about all we've heard the last six months, and no relief in sight.

As the market moves in any direction so as to establish a perceived trend, you will always see some predicting a continuation of that trend. Eventually all trends (as measured by any smoothing average you care to dream up) reverse. I'm still looking for the system that tells me when that will happen.

I already added some equities when we were first down about 18%. So this time I have to wait for 25% to 30% down. Definitely looking to move some cash to equities if the market continues down.

your thoughts?
I'm 50...got 4 years of cash for living expenses. Been dca'ing for 25 years in the stock market and made money. I don't plan to stop now.

The doom and gloomer's are predicting another 20% drop.

I'm not a "doom and gloomer" but history shows an additional 20% decline is not out of the question. What you do then is the bigger question. Once the crowd starts to dump stocks in earnest it will test your fortitude. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom