Art G

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You have $500k, you have a 6 month time period......Do you feel safest in
A) 5 CD's
B) Government agency
C) Money Market
D) GE corporate bond
E) Any of the above

Given the choices and 6 month time frame, I would go with 5 CDs.

I read somewhere that Indymac bank depleted about 20% of FDIC reserves. Do you still go with the CD's?

If FDIC defaults, there are no options but guns, gold, and gasoline that will be any good.

The other options on your poll will be just as worthless as your CDs.

I read somewhere that Indymac bank depleted about 20% of FDIC reserves. Do you still go with the CD's?

Well I would say the one that is paying the highest if you are only going out six money. Over many many years that would be another story.

CD's - mindful of the $100,000 FDIC limit.

DD

If I had only six months to live, I would feel safest in Las Vegas.

You have $500k, you have a 6 month time period......Do you feel safest in
A) 5 CD's
B) Government agency
C) Money Market
D) GE corporate bond
E) Any of the above

Well, I'd go with 6 month Treasuries, but that's just me........nice that you didn't include those..........:D

IndyMac has sucked about 12% of FDIC's total "bank" out, so FDIC may be the most underfunded it's been in a long time..........:p

If FDIC defaults, there are no options but guns, gold, and gasoline that will be any good.

The other options on your poll will be just as worthless as your CDs.

I think the last time I heard that quote was in reference to $3 per gallon gasoline.
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that comment in reference to something that eventually came true.....

Six CDs -- not five -- since if you put $100K into each of them, the interest would kick you over the limit.

Actually, it would be moot. If the CD goes under, the interest stops on that day.

Art, which one do you think would be the best vehicle to park the $500K for six months, and why?

I'm waiting til the money comes in to compare rates. It shouldn't even take a second thought over buying any of the above, and yet it is. GE may be the safest of the bunch. I wouldn't expect money market to fall any further than say .99 on the dollar worst case. I've got an Indymac bank that is sitting in limbo currently. No interest earning and I can't get to the money. I'm also considering 7 day remarketed preferreds.

I'm waiting til the money comes in to compare rates. It shouldn't even take a second thought over buying any of the above, and yet it is. GE may be the safest of the bunch. I wouldn't expect money market to fall any further than say .99 on the dollar worst case. I've got an Indymac bank that is sitting in limbo currently. No interest earning and I can't get to the money. I'm also considering 7 day remarketed preferreds.

There's always 7-day put bonds..........;)

Back
Top Bottom