If they can put a man on the moon why can't they......

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
I propose a new sticky thread for those of us who want to vent/kvetch/b!tch about everyday annoyances, in the hope that maybe somebody has or will come up with a solution to whatever's griping us at the moment.

So here's my initial peeve o' the day:

Why doesn't somebody make a freakin' toaster that doesn't leak crumbs all over the counter?

There. I feel better already.

Why doesn't somebody make a freakin' toaster that doesn't leak crumbs all over the counter?

There. I feel better already.

Because the 3 cent tray needed, translates to $3.- extra in sales price, And no one wants the extra assembly and cleanout of the tray. As one likely answer.

I'm sure some manufacturing engineer can give the exact answer.
Next problem
grin.gif

Edit add: Why can't we have an honor code for elected officials?
How about this oath for elected officials:

An elected official shall not lie, cheat, or steal nor tolerate others who do.

Some from the military academies will recognize it as familiar.

Last edited:
Because the 3 cent tray needed, translates to $3.- extra in sales price, And no one wants the extra assembly and cleanout of the tray. As one likely answer.

I'm sure some manufacturing engineer can give the exact answer.
Next problem
grin.gif

Because the crumbs would build up (no one would ever empty the tray) and either:
1. Mold, causing worldwide disease and panic
2. Catch on fire, causing neighborhood wide excitement and panic.

Making you wipe them off your counter makes it harder for the product liability attorneys to make a living.

Buy a Delonghi - problem solved...........:)

As a former mfg. eng. - I suggest don't eat toast!

But then again I'm retired.

:D

heh heh heh - :cool: And I worked in the Space Program - you don't want us building toasters. Heat shields/rocket fuel/etc - not toasters!

See Hugh Jackman's dialogue on toasters and "General Electric" in Kate and Leopold...

I guess the closest thing would be the old fashioned pop up toaster. Gravity pretty much keeps the crumbs in the bottom of the toaster. Most of us have moved to the "Toaster Oven" type of device because it is does many things.

Toast the bread over a fire. Crumbs incinerate.

Now can we Puh-leaaase talk about FAX MACHINES??

WHY, twenty years ago, could I buy a fax machine that didn't pick up on voice calls, but did pick up only on fax calls.. but now they all say they have "auto answer" but (after you buy the machine you find out that it is) only if you buy the continuous special telco service with a separate # and special ring sequence?? That is not "automatic".

I am waiting for ERD50 to chime in with his burning fax hate.. but too bad. I NEED and WANT FAXES. Asking me why I need faxes is like asking the OP why he/she needs toast. It doesn't matter.

I'm tired of telling people to call me first so I can turn on the fax machine, or else leaving the machine on to deafen and repulse regular callers.

And in the meantime, get off my lawn!

Toast the bread over a fire. Crumbs incinerate.

Now can we Puh-leaaase talk about FAX MACHINES??

WHY, twenty years ago, could I buy a fax machine that didn't pick up on voice calls, but did pick up only on fax calls.. but now they all say they have "auto answer" but (after you buy the machine you find out that it is) only if you buy the continuous special telco service with a separate # and special ring sequence?? That is not "automatic".

I am waiting for ERD50 to chime in with his burning fax hate.. but too bad. I NEED and WANT FAXES. Asking me why I need faxes is like asking the OP why he/she needs toast. It doesn't matter.

I'm tired of telling people to call me first so I can turn on the fax machine, or else leaving the machine on to deafen and repulse regular callers.

And in the meantime, get off my lawn!

In keeping my responses fair and balance, I will also offer you two options:

1. Winfax....
2 or a really, really, old fax machine- maybe Goodwill?

yeah, I was hoping not to have to search for a supplier of THERMAL PAPER, though.. ;)
No Goodwill in Italy.

If you have a scanner, you can e-mail "faxes".. but when dealing with my mom, my sister, signed documents and contracts, kids' drawings or whatever.. I miss the possibility and ease of just throwing something in the machine and having it get to the other side and vice versa, instantaneously and for a fraction of the cost of a stamp. My elderly mom could more easily fax me something directly rather than dealing with scanner and e-mail. (I've already bought her in years past a computer, a printer and a fax). She just isn't capable of that anymore at this point. I sent her a PDF of an important tax document she was gonna file for me.. and she just couldn't deal with receiving the PDF (via AOL) and printing it. (Since I wasn't on her end I couldn't tell what was going on.)

Thanks for the options, bww.. but the question "WHYYY?" remains unanswered.

For fax-haters.. I did my entire US house sale closing via back&forth faxes, when I was already in Italy (cadging off of hotel fax machines). No computer necessary. It was way cool.. almost incomprehensibly easy. Having to DIY with attached scanners & so forth is so declassé. ;) :)

--
New toaster idea: blowtorch.

Here ya go. sits on top of a stove burner, you lay the slices on the wire racks, fold them to the up position, when the first side is done you do the second. works good, a bit labor intensive unless you are already standing there minding the bacon & eggs. 4 slices at a time. nice & gentle, no crumbs to speak of, built in tray catches what does fall off.
9a1e_1.JPG

If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they keep spam out of all e-mail, throw the spammers in the slammer, and throw away the key? :eek:

I have a Krupps toaster that doesn't get crumbs anywhere and has a little removable tray for easy cleaning.

but, where the heck are my robot servants and flying cars.

I don't get spam. Really, I don't! Why is that? I have paid e-mail addresses through our ISP.. plus three free accounts (Yahoo, Libero, and Tiscali). The only "spam" I get are messages generated by these free providers themselves, with maybe one real spam exception per month on one free account (Libero).

Why doesn't someone design and build a self-cleaning house?

Andy Warhol proposed houses that were basically tiled rooms with center drains so you could just hose them down. Too "abattoir chic" for me.

Last edited:
Works for me. Some plastic furniture and you're good to go.

I still like the old termite control commercial with the couple living in the concrete house with concrete furniture.

Andy Warhol proposed houses that were basically tiled rooms with center drains so you could just house them down.

Sounds like paradise.

Too "abattoir chic" for me.

The choice is between a dirty house and a clean one, or a paid cleaning staff.

If they can put a man on the moon, why can't they keep spam out of all e-mail, throw the spammers in the slammer, and throw away the key? :eek:

Well, it's not a perfect solution, but one is dead: Colorado "Spam King" Dead in Apparent Murder/Suicide: Scientific American

Why doesn't someone design and build a self-cleaning house?

They're working on it.

Wiki here: Lotus effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lead-off part of an article here: Lotus Leaf Inspires Waterproofing Scheme: Scientific American

Pretty interesting story on it in the latest Sci Am.

Back
Top Bottom