Waikiki Hotel

A854321

Recycles dryer sheets
I've got the job of deciding on the hotel for our party of four, two couples, for a week's stay in Oahu and a week in Maui. We've got Maui figured out, but as no one in this group has stayed on Oahu, we've all decided to stay on Waikiki, in early December.

Reading the reviews is making my head split. I think we've eliminated HHV, and Halekulani. Our goals are great hotel room views, beachfront hotel preferred, easy access to good grub ( not the fine dining crowd). One couple likes the Hyatt, but it's looking to be about the most expensive option.

Any recommendations?

Oh, and I'm a big fan of the Prince Hotels on Maui and Hawaii, but the one on Oahu is atop the marina, and has been vetoed by the group because of the lack of a beach.

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki way back when. It looks like it has been remodelled but we enjoyed. Last time though we stayed at the Holiday Inn off the beach and walked.

Well there's only about ten hotels actually on the beach so it's not that big a decision. What's wrong with the Pink Palace? For two couples I can't imagine a better place to stay if you want to be right in the middle of things. Otherwise, I'd vote for the W Hotel, not in Waikiki but on the beach in the Gold Coast area in the Diamond Head area. It's actually the post card view of Waikiki that's not Waikiki but a ten minute walk away. The Hyatt is not on the beach.

we stayed at the pink palace a couple years ago - got a pretty great deal on the room - beach access, close to everything. rooms are nice, a little old school in decoration, but i think that's part of the point. pool is a little small, but a few steps away from the beach so not that big a deal. staff is extremely nice and helpful. the outrigger is more modern. they're all pretty close to each other too so you can take advantage of the other's restaurants etc...

The Royal Hawaiian ( pink palace) is closed for about a year for renovations. Cross that one off the list.

We like the Resortquest Waikiki Circle -- but be warned: it isn't fancy at all. Making this decision for another couple is definitely risky. Good service -- when we returned next year, the staff remembered us ("Oh no, not that guy!").

More info and picture on our web site for 2007 and 2008.

Reading the reviews is making my head split. I think we've eliminated HHV, and Halekulani. Our goals are great hotel room views, beachfront hotel preferred, easy access to good grub ( not the fine dining crowd). One couple likes the Hyatt, but it's looking to be about the most expensive option.
Any recommendations?
I"m getting mixed messages that price is at least as much of a priority as view and location. As you're probably learning, the "privilege" of living on the beach and being able to look at the beach comes at a very high cost. Not sure that it's worth the money... especially because you're probably going to be spending most of your time outside the hotel room, and almost certainly doing things in the room that don't involve gazing out of the windows.

Hyatt is drop-dead gorgeous but you're paying a lot of money for the décor and the resort lifestyle.

If any of the four of you have a military ID card then you should try the Hale Koa.

Trombone Al has done great at the ResortQuest Waikiki Circle:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/waikiki-trip-report-tips-26659.html
I can vouch that their desk staff are really nice (far nicer than most Waikiki hotel staff, including the Hale Koa), that the ocean views (if you must have them) are great, and that the place is as centrally located in Waikiki as it's possible to get. You won't get 12-foot ceilings or impressive lobbies or even valet parking, but you'll get some of the best value in town. You do have to walk across four lanes of traffic to get to the beach, but the hotel has a locking surfboard rack for your rental.

Any hotel within two blocks of Kalakaua will have access to more good grub than you can handle. And if you're spending your time on the beach then you won't be eating your hotel's food, so I wouldn't choose a hotel based on whether or not it has food service.

It's been a few years since we last hung out together, but Laurence had a nice Waikiki hotel right next to the beach. You might want to PM him too.

At the risk of preaching to the choir, have you read this thread?
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/faq-archive-e-komo-mai-hawaii-30671.html

The Royal Hawaiian ( pink palace) is closed for about a year for renovations. Cross that one off the list.

I was just told they're expecting to reopen 1/2009 so I'd go next door to the Sheraton Waikiki if you want to be in the middle of things, otherwise I think the W is a good choice for couples.

Having stayed "on the beach" (Royal Hawaiian) and across Kalakaua (various Outriggers) I would definitely say there is a big difference. If this was my first trip to Waikiki I would choose "on the beach".

My 2 cents worth as we have stayed in a few hotels in Honolulu the past few years.

The Hilton Village - too big, room was ok but not at the top of our list to do again.
The ResortQuest as recommended by TAl - Didn't really float our boats, room was small, out of date and a bit noisy. However, can't beat it for location.
Hyatt - we stayed there earlier this year and liked it. Room was modern and large.
W Hotel - stayed there last month and would have to say it is now top of our list for Honolulu hotels. Great room and bathroom, location was good as it was a lot quieter than being right on Waikiki. It was only a comfortable 10 minute walk from the real action. The service was great as well. The rooms open up totally so you can get a nice ocean view from your balcony. I would definitely say yes to the W.

The one ironic thing about living here is that I've probably only spent 4 days in a Waikiki hotel, and only seen the rooms of 4 or 5. That important caveat said.

A fair number of friends and family have been very happy at the New Otani
It is located at the far end of Waikiki near Diamond Head so it off the beaten path but still close to all of the activity of Waikiki. The beach it is on is one of the nicest and least crowded in Honolulu. The beach where the locals go. It is next door to a large pretty park, aquarium zoo, A lovely oceanside restaurant is on site and a couple of other high end restaurants are next door W. Hotel. Not recommended if you have kids, but a great place for the over 40 crowd to unwind. The downside is it is a just about a mile to Waikiki proper, prices are similar to the nicer Waikiki hotels.

We usually stay in the Marriott Waikiki. It has always been fine for us...rooms are nice, clean, etc. They have gone up a lot in price in the last few years, though. When we went in March, the Marriott was fully booked so I had to find somewhere else...chose the Ohana east. It is not as nice and is not on the beach, so I do not recommend it.

R

I will be going there in October. I also researched until my head was spinning. Outrigger is undergoing renovation, and the Pink Palace is closed. We ended up choosing the New Otani, so I was very happy to see it recommended here. I finally picked it based on a review in a 5 yr. old Lonely Planet guidebook. :rolleyes:

I will have another hotel for comparison, since I am attending a convention at the Hawaiian Village Hilton, but they didn't have any rooms for us to arrive early.

My head is still spinning a bit, but you guys have great info. If were solely up to me, I'd go with Trombone Al's great find. However.....

One thing that TripAdvisor is good for is looking at traveler photos. Many travelers are nice enough to post the views from their rooms and mention if they were "partial ocean view", "ocean view" etc, so you get an idea of what is really possible. I'm amazed at how many partial ocean view rooms have dead-on views of the neighbor hotel and you would induce severe neck strain trying to see the ocean. It really helps. Love the Waikiki at night photos. Dramatic.

I was pretty excited by Outrigger Waikiki, until I started looking at the traveler photos, and all of a sudden started to get a vision of frat parties. So many people there, all right on top of a very small beach. Sounds noisy, no matter what. HHV is just not going to work. I like the ideas of New Otani and W. Will be doing some more research.

I found this map that really helps get the orientation right for us newbies. I'm not sure about their likes/dislikes, but it is something to consider. Their comments about the construction of the Trump place have convinced me to skip that end of Waikiki, and even the Halekkulani: http://www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

First off, the beach at Waikiki sucks, so you'd better go there first before you go to Maui or it will be a huge letdown. On Maui we stay at the Wailea Elua Village (Wailea Elua Village Home) which has nice bungalows on the fantastic beach and no need for elevators.

On Oahu, I've stayed across the street from the Pink Palace at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani for a work-related convention. It's a hop, skip and jump to the beach. We often drank/munched at the bars on the beach. All the hotels seem to share resources, so you can charge to your room key even if it ain't your hotel.

Back
Top Bottom