A Killer Orchid Blooms in Brooklyn

CuppaJoe

Moderator Emeritus
A 200-Pound Orchid Blooms Again - City Room - Metro - New York Times Blog

While the market fluctuates yet another horror story hits the wires. I barely got my mind around the starving Kangaroo rats/intervention from outer space news when along comes this tale about orchid cruelty. The plant people tricked this poor 200 pound, VW Bug-sized orchid into thinking it was near death by starving it so with its last ounce of strength it boomed again. Legend has it that these orchids are people killers just like the Audrey II. I thought I might get back into growing orchids in ER but now I’m not so sure.

Mmmm, I could go for a double order of calamari. Had some the other day that melt in your mouth.

I may go back into orchid growing yet. I have a cheap/frugal supermarket phalaenopsis that has been in bloom for a full 13 months despite my inadvertent chopping off of a pre-bloom spike and another one mysteriously cut off, Ms. Avatar was nearby but left no real evidence. Went to water it this a.m. and what-do-you-know, it's bravely putting out yet another spike just below the mysterious break.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 1
Very nice. And a beautiful cat too.

I am suddenly reminded of the game Sim City 2000 where there are periodic newspapers with mayoral ratings. The fluff articles' headlines vary based on the education system in your city. A poorly educated city has headlines about UFOs, abductions, etc.. A well educated city has stock reports and scientific news.

I am not much of a flower guy, but I did try my hand at orchids.

After almost killing the poor things indoors, I took the sole survivor outside, stuck it in its pot underneath a palm tree and forgot about. It is now blooming beautiful.

I may go back into orchid growing yet. I have a cheap/frugal supermarket phalaenopsis that has been in bloom for a full 13 months despite my inadvertent chopping off of a pre-bloom spike and another one mysteriously cut off, Ms. Avatar was nearby but left no real evidence. Went to water it this a.m. and what-do-you-know, it's bravely putting out yet another spike just below the mysterious break.

Beautiful picture CuppaJoe. Perhaps Ms. Avatar should be interviewed by Charlie Gibson to get to the bottom of the Orchidgate scandal:)

I am not much of a flower guy, but I did try my hand at orchids.

After almost killing the poor things indoors, I took the sole survivor outside, stuck it in its pot underneath a palm tree and forgot about. It is now blooming beautiful.
-
Benign neglect, that's the ticket! Orchid people sold me all kinds of stuff when I was into it, but I didn't give the current 13-month bloomer anything beyond water once a week. Wonder how many parts of my life could be improved with that technique?

Clif, in your climate you might even be able to throw away the pot and see how it does.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom