My modest accomplishment

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I started hitting the gym on a regular basis at the start of the year. Was 186# when I started and had lousy muscle tone, no aerobic fitness, etc. Mostly was the victim of a punishing commute, long hours and the usual Merkin couch potato lifestyle. Once I started working out (and especially lifting weights), my weight started climbing, much to my consternation. I peaked at 192#, which is pretty generous given my 5'11" height and medium build. Now more than 9 months later I weighed myself after a 5 mile run on the treadmill to find that I am finally back to 186#.

Don't get me wrong, I have seen many positive changes in my body as a result of all this (resting heart rate down to 60 BPM, much more fit, far more muscular, etc.), but to my simple-minded view of things it is most gratifying to see that I have finally started getting my weight down instead of up.

Congratulations, Brewer! Big, strong, manly, caveman muscles weigh more than fat.

Last edited:
Keeping it off.

Maintaining your fitness level.

The follow-through. My guess is that you'll do well long term now that the stresses of the job and commuting have abated for a while.

Like CuppaJoe says, muscles weigh more than fat so getting in shape and back to your 186 is a good thing. It will probably take a steady diet of aerobics (running, biking, etc) to get below that. I plateaued at 194 for years with just weights, but since I started biking several days a week I dropped down to 178. Still haven't given up chocolate :)

I'll bet you had to cinch your belt an extra hole or two after 9 months, even though you are just back to your starting weight. I started going to the gym in March, soon came down with an unrelated problem and was in the hospital for a week, then could not exercise for a few months. Started back in earnest about 6-7 weeks ago and could barely jog one lap at a 12min/mi pace. I go 5 days a week unless I have a business trip, and have gotten to the point that I can now run/jog about a 9:30 pace for about 3 1/4-3 1/2 miles without having to slow for a breather. Point is that I am eating less fat and less carb, a tad more protein, running 15 miles a week and walking another 20++ miles for exercise, and still have not lost anything to speak of (well, maybe a pound or two...and I'm much heftier than you Brewer). However, my belt is cinched in about two notches, and people "think" I have lost weight....I know I feel much better. BP down slightly at about 114/70 first thing in the morning, with resting HR down to 49, taken same time as BP. My BP was spiking for a while after exercise, but does not seem to be anymore.

Congrats on the achievement...I'm finding that the endorphins from exercising so much seem to help me maintain a relatively happier existence...any exercise related mood improvements out there?

R

Brewer,

Good story, congrats on your achievement so far. As Rich says, now is the hard part to maintain it or better still improve on it. Changing what you eat, limiting calories etc will probably result in quick weight loss if you want that. But if you feel good about yourself and are healthy, actual weight is no big deal.

excellent plan and progress. :D
my vow for the upcoming winter months is to get offline and go xcountry skiing more to stave off the inevitable cabin fever and get my metabolism going more. permission to nag is granted. :D

Congratulations Brewer , I also started hitting the gym and while my weight has only changed slightly my clothes are loose .

I'll bet you had to cinch your belt an extra hole or two after 9 months, even though you are just back to your starting weight.

Just now started to use one tighter belt notch, but my clothes have been looser around the mid-section for a while. Actually, I have become less focused on my actual weight since I can see the big differences in my body that involve trading fat for muscle. I also notice that I can do more in real life. I was able to yank the monster window AC out by myself the other day, for example. That sucker must weigh 75# at least and it is awkward. And now I can do a 5 or 8 mile hike with no ill effects, even the next day. That alone is worth the gym time.

I have not changed much in my diet, since we already did whole grains, lots of veggies, don't eat red meat, etc. I struggle with my sweet tooth and have made no attempt to cut back my beer/booze intake. I imagine that if I really wanted to drop actual pounds I could do so by restricting my diet.

Lots of parameters can be used, but the ideal waist-to-height ratio is <2; waist-to-hip should be < 0.9 (men; women use 0.85) from a cardiovascular risk perspective.

I can lose 3 lbs without my waist changing much; then shed an inch in the next 3 pounds I lose - it's as if I reach a threshhold before those abdominal fat cells finally, er... capitulate.

Bodyforlife.com

After I did a few challenges my weight did not increase, even after four years of really bad habits. I still have the muscle I gained on the program.

I have not changed much in my diet, since we already did whole grains, lots of veggies, don't eat red meat, etc. I struggle with my sweet tooth and have made no attempt to cut back my beer/booze intake. I imagine that if I really wanted to drop actual pounds I could do so by restricting my diet.
As soon as you start clamping down on your diet your body will start complaining that it can't even find the energy to start a workout, let alone finish. That would be the pain Rich is referring to-- your body's happy to convert fat into muscle but it draws the line at flushing it out of your body. Heck, it might need it for the approaching long cold winter.

I'm much happier measuring inches than weighing pounds. 'Cuz otherwise I might have to cut down on chocolate, which would make me question the wisdom of trying to lose weight. What would I have to live for?

You should collaborate with Raddr about how he balances his bodybuilding and his brewing. It seems to be working for him!

You should collaborate with Raddr about how he balances his bodybuilding and his brewing. It seems to be working for him!

Considering that my typical brew day (tomorrow, assuming I shake this cold) involves a minimum of 6 ours of pretty physical labor (lugging 50+ pounds up and down the stairs, grinding 25+ pounds of grain by hand, etc.), brewing basically IS bodybuilding.

Incidentally, for all the brewers out there, cold weather brewing offers the opportunity for one of the best guilty pleasures of the whole thing: the Hot Scotchie. Once your mash has converted and you start the run-off, draw almost a full pint of the heaviest first runnings, steaming hot. Add a shot of good Scotch and enjoy.

For breakfast this morning, a banana, 3 chocolate chip cookies and 2 cups of coffee. Half healthy, half not. Oh well, I'm pissed with the markets so I don't give a rip. :(

Friday - day off - spent most of morning watching the market plunge again - 2pm went out drinking with a good buddie who RE'd several years ago - tears in beer and on junk food - this morning, tears in bathroom when I looked at the scales.

I conclude that body weight is inversely proportional to markets :rant:

Though I wax and wane, I consider some level of exercise as a part of my lifestyle, and miss it when I backslide.

brewer, congrats on the change. I'm nowhere near your level of exercise yet, but I find that I really enjoy my little walks.

Rich, thanks for that little gem. Don't know how I haven't seen that before. And it more or less jives with my personal experience. I left Parris Island with a 34" waist at 210 lbs, and only 10% body fat according to a dip test. The Corps said I was about 16 lbs overweight. But in my opinion I looked and felt underweight. I inevitably gained weight in the fleet, up to 225 lbs and a 36" waist. I felt great!! And IMHHO looked pretty darned good too. Still had the six pack. The Corps sent me for another dip test and I was only 12% body fat, which is their lower limit of desirability. So every month I had to go to the NRMC and get dipped. I stayed between 220 and 225, and never went over 12%. That would be my ideal goal again. And at 74" a 36" waist fits right into your little rule. How cool!?

Get a Tanita body fat scale. It's a really honest feedback mechanism. You may need to decide between the regular and the athlete model. The regular model has trouble measuring body fat % under 12%.

Get a Tanita body fat scale. It's a really honest feedback mechanism. You may need to decide between the regular and the athlete model. The regular model has trouble measuring body fat % under 12%.

Probably won't be a problem for me. :D

Back
Top Bottom