PRK eye surgery through the military?

Keyboard Ninja

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone had eye surgery done through the military? I'm thinking about putting in my application for elective PRK surgery, but I've never been under the knife. Has anyone gone through this procedure, and how did it work out for you?

Had a bunch of active duty Guard (ARG) members do this at my last place of work. They were happy with the results.

What are your future military career plans? Sometimes PRK disqualifies you for certain military jobs (pilot?). Been a couple of years since I worked there, so regs may have changed.

DH had this done in '04, so that he wouldn't have to deal with wearing contacts any more while deployed. It went great, and he hasn't had any problems.

I had PRK because LASIK was not an option because I was boxing and practicing TKD. The laser did not hurt, and the rubbing off of the front part of your eye did not hurt. The worst part of the procedure was the ice-cold saline they pour on your eyes, and if that was the worst part, then you should realize that procedure was not that bad. However, after the surgery was about a week of hurt and not being able to see much, but I still managed watch TV, play games, and go for long walks, but the doctor told me to not get any sweat in my eyes, so I didn't do anything strenuous.

Has anyone had eye surgery done through the military? I'm thinking about putting in my application for elective PRK surgery, but I've never been under the knife. Has anyone gone through this procedure, and how did it work out for you?
Whether it's LASIK or PRK, they've been doing it like crazy at the service academies. Literally hundreds per year at USNA to qualify for aviation and SEALs. No scandals or even complaints so far.

My nephew-the-Army-Ranger particularly enjoys being able to crawl through the mud and shoot ordnance without having to worry about his glasses. No doubt the subjects on the other end of his shooting are also appreciative of his sharper vision.

Back
Top Bottom