Visiting NYC

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
The wife and I would like to visit downtown NYC for a few days over the Xmas holidays but are very apprehensive about driving in a city of that size,i was wondering where a good suburb might be where we could stay in a hotel /motel and use public transit (bus,subway or commuter train)to get to the downtown core.we would be coming from Montreal.

Hmmm ... If you are driving down, see where the hotels in White Plains are in relation to the train station. (also check the MetroNorth schedules if you will be doing late shows and such.)

White Plains is about 40 min. out from Grand Central.

There is a hotel [Hilton?] in downtown Brooklyn right over the Brooklyn Bridge from lower Manhattan, but I don't know about their parking. Search under 'downtown Brooklyn' or 'Metrotech'

ta,
mews

I suspect a more frequent visitor would be able to give you some particulars, but don't forget ferries.

There are a few hotels on the New Jersey side of the river that are close to commuter ferry docks connecting to midtown Manhattan on the west side. Staten Island may also be a possibility?

the jersey side of the hudson offers the most wonderful views of the city, especially at night when she twinkles. htown has the right idea to locate near a ferry, which are reasonably priced and very servicable. it is just a few minutes' ride but what a wonderful way to enter the city.

Ride the Ferry

i normally take weehawken to midtown which runs until 1 am. you just pay one way, the ride back is included and you get free bus service on the island. don't be shy about asking the drivers for directions, which bus to get on, etc. i've always found them to be helpful & friendly.

check out the interactive map on above site. will give you the terminal locations and routes available. then check the schedules to see which gives you the best flexibility (some only run until 8 pm). then find a hotel near there. just looked quickly, i found a hilton in jersey city near a terminal but didn't check sched (might be limited, servicing financial district) though it looks like great views from rooms running around $300/night.

an alternative, if you don't want to stay in the city, might be to drive into the city from jersey, park as soon as you get there and take taxis & mass transit for the day.

i'll be there during my road trip in a few weeks. a friend is taking day off work and we are going to do a very touristy tour of the town. i'm thinking of wearing a hawaiian shirt and visor. not sure which tour but is a double decker bus, all day pass, and you hop and and off all day at different spots, whatever looks interesting at the moment. might be this one or something like it:
New York City Double Decker Bus Tours - 48-Hour Pass

enjoy.

In Secaucus New Jersey outside the Lincoln Tunnel along Route 3 there are many small motels which are inexpensive. You can take the bus (which runs very frequently) to Port Authority bus terminal (less than 30 minutes).

From Port Authority the subway will take you anywhere in NYC.

You will not need a car unless you plan on traveling within New Jersey.

If you are coming from Montreal, why not leave the car behind and take the train? It would drop you right in Penn Station in Manhattan without the liability of a car, and you can get anywhere in the city pretty easily via subway, bus, cab, etc.

Barring that, you could do one of a few things. Jersey City along the waterfront would be my first choice. You can get to NYC via ferry or the PATH trains, maybe 15 minutes. Westchester (White Plains, etc.) would be an OK choice, and Metro North train service would get you to Grand Central in under an hour. Finally, you could look for a hotel in the vicinity of LaGuardia airport or Flushing (in Queens) where you could use the Long Island RR or the subway or bus system to get you into Manhattan in under an hour.

Personally, I would take the train or fly. If you had to have a car, I would try to find a waterfront hotel in Jersey City.

Hmmm ... If you are driving down, see where the hotels in White Plains are in relation to the train station. (also check the MetroNorth schedules if you will be doing late shows and such.)

White Plains is about 40 min. out from Grand Central.

This is good advise if the hotel costs are too high in the city.
Don't drive into the city.
If you do have your car you can visit some other places north of NYC - West Point.
Also, you could drive to the north Bronx to see the Bronx Zoo and Botanital Gardens - Arther Ave is close by for Italian food.
Bronx Things To Do - Bronx Travel Reviews - VirtualTourist.com

I stayed at a Residence in on Rt. 17 in Ramsey NJ. $114. per night with 2 queen sized beds and full kitchen. They have a shuttle van that brings you to the train station - the train to central station was $15. round trip and took about 45 minutes.
Enjoy your trip! If you stay in this area - there is one of the best resturants for NY style pizza in the East very close by. The name of the resturant is Kinchleys - - amazing pizza/beer place! Been there since 1945. I found out about it because my Dad went to Don Bosco right around the corner.
There is an article about this place that says "The best NY style pizza? You may have to go to NJ!"

Our daughter lives in Queens. When we go to visit her we stay at a Fairfield Inn in Queens (I think it is called Fairfield Inn La Guardia). They have free parking, free breakfast and a free shuttle service to the subway stop a few blocks away. We can get into Manhattan in about 20 minutes. The hotel rates are less than half of what you pay downtown.

Coming from the north, I thought I read above.....

Well, I go to NYC for various reasons, but when I stay over I can stay with a friend so I can't help with hotels/motels.

I am north, also. Sometimes I take the bus (Trailways/Greyhound) from upstate NY, and other times I drive down to Poughkeepsie and take the MetroNorth the rest of the way. I never drive all the way.

I have a hunch your NJ advice is the best. The buses approach NYC that way and it seems to me you get pretty close.

kate

I am one that would vote for the Jersey side.... I worked there for awhile nad the PATH is quick... and you can connect with the NYC subway at the end at 33rd...

Also, the ferry is a nice ride, but they are not as convenient to the NY subway...

As for north, Queens or Brooklyn.... well, have not done that or heard about it... so check out rates and see what you can find..

PS.. there is a hotel right next to the PATH... IIRC it is Marriot... but it is used by business people so the rates might not be as good...

You can try Hoboken... I heard there is great food etc... just not as easy to get across the river...

The name of the resturant is Kinchleys - - amazing pizza/beer place! Been there since 1945."

LOL I just went to Kinchleys this past weekend for the first time!! It's thin crust pizza if that's your thing. Cash only, no CC's.

However, I second Brewer's Jersey City waterfront hotel recommendation.

3 words - do not drive. :p
taking the train from a town on either side of the Hudson is a great idea. pack very very light using over the shoulder bags or the smallest suitcase you own. dragging a big suitcase in the midst of the Penn Station commuter crowds is not recommended. have a cab company phone number in hand. watch out for pickpockets. :eek:

anywhere in jersey along the train route would be fine. just look at the names of the stops of the train and start from there. we always stay in morristown with family, and the train ride takes about 45 mins. theres a few hotels around there, and its far enough from the city that i imagine they are reasonably priced

I get to NYC a lot and I've taken all modes of transportation except boat. My preferred mode of transportation, which I took this weekend, has recently been MegaBus (though I've also taken BoltBus and the Chinese Bus).

I wouldn't stay outside of NYC. For me, the point of visiting NYC is being in NYC. Maybe, I'd stay in Queens or Brooklyn, which is where I'd stayed this weekend at the Brooklyn Marriott, a 20 minute walk into the financial district or a short subway ride to all the major points in Manhattan. You can't beat being right in the City, like midtown, and walking to major cultural attractions, like Rockerfeller Center during the holidays, Radio Music City Hall, or MoMa. There are some reasonable hotel deals to be had, as well.

You can drive to Albany and then take the MegaBus directly into the City. The fare from Albany to NYC is $19 one way.

Driving into NYC isn't really that bad; it's just as complicated as driving into Montreal or Madrid, which I found as challenging as driving into NYC, but driving around the City can be extremely nerve-wracking if you don't know what you're doing. On the occasions that I have driven into the City and stayed in Manhattan, I've parked my car at 9th or 10th Avenue, between 40-48 Streets and obtained very good rates ($15 per day is very good in Manhattan). You can arrange for parking online through Icon parking at this site: Icon Parking Systems - Reservations, Information, Pricing

here's your experience entering the city by car
img_747086_0_b13e1e15616f45fdec045209c802ae31.jpg

here's your experience entering the city by ferry
img_747086_1_5a6348c8ac0823d005355a5b07c63699.jpg

nj ferry terminal
img_747086_2_967f709a23e38fd4467861b4ff09f4d6.jpg

approaching ny terminal (see if you can find waldo, the aircraft carrier)
img_747086_3_51ae381b5557f668214f72da2acdf423.jpg

this is what is striking about ny. it is sooo big. when an aircraft carrier comes to port everglades, it dwarfs our condos on the beach, but look how the city dwarfs the intrepid Home

here the carrier dwarfs the concorde
img_747086_4_e9437bc034dcbd4a52f73d5f55da8565.jpg

but nyc dwarfs the intrepid
img_747086_5_3b3a64666b5946493a06162ca0093aed.jpg

here's grand central. stop here for a beer and to just people watch
img_747086_6_7948dd9143198ef18f85ffc8bb805a1c.jpg

img_747086_7_1ea1054e66de0a9f8bb263c8b300168c.jpg

img_747086_8_bf08e78d3b48760b2a6df184bb848821.jpg

img_747086_9_5f55a7624fd341e58cabc3585766c155.jpg

img_747086_10_c4013ec3699e44f9ee838a224430ea67.jpg

ride the subway, very easy, always an adventure (get the multi ride pass to save some bucks) and enjoy the onboard entertainment. on this one we had drummers and then we got a lovely lecture on smiling, not ignoring the performers and offering donations
img_747086_11_bc2cdc1b16354c05e60c8db89a5d386a.jpg

it's such a magical city. hop on and off the subway and just wonder through the city. you never know to what storefront fate will bring you
img_747086_12_ffcee800e63bfbb3a5cf63e1a32f5f47.jpg

unless you are a total homophobe, do not miss the village. creativity and thoughtfulness abound. plus they have the best cafes and pizza.

there i also found a ceramic memorial to 9/11
img_747086_13_11c7d9eb4f71a0786b521a826d6924ec.jpg

img_747086_14_6ef1fe5f2f986348a5ade3fdaf9f2ffa.jpg

and friday night partiers (halloween of course, but lively any night)
img_747086_15_cd53eebb5157c665fe6633c6ef2d6640.jpg

img_747086_16_361203501c9228d0417d3fe4608cb418.jpg

img_747086_17_e48c4430601956de52255b914a4cd015.jpg

img_747086_18_4b2db2707bf6377a807a966b67e614f6.jpg

and you have to see times square at night. it is just amazing.
img_747086_19_dae8df4725509a26b1b22bff002dd97c.jpg

img_747086_20_76e3efeed05ea22314be9e583e7132e8.jpg

blow up of that times square shot
img_747086_21_4817cc70c9050f0c3214039c20679142.jpg

ny ny what a town

Just used priceline and stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot on East 38th street $120 a night Right across from Bryant park. Nice hotel right in midtown.

here's your experience entering the city by car
We used to stay at the [-]Fleabag Hilton[/-] Holland Motor Lodge in Jersey City (just outside the Holland Tunnel....go figure)....the place was a genuine DUMP! But it was cheap (as were we), and we only slept there for a few hours each night (from about 2:30am to about 6am)....had to enjoy all of NYC that we could for the few days we were there each time. Anyway, experienced that view of the Tunnel quite a bit!
unless you are a total homophobe, do not miss the village. creativity and thoughtfulness abound. plus they have the best cafes and pizza.
I loved the Village! The PIZZA!!! We used to hit the little Mom & Pop neighborhood grocers to grab some fresh fruit (already sliced/cut, and wrapped in small packages) to snack on while wandering around. We usually got to the Village sometime in the evening, and we'd stay until at least midnight or later....usually later!

We also used to go hang out in Washington Square, and enjoy the musicians, dancers, entertainers, and whatever! (and there was a LOT of whatever!)
and you have to see times square at night. it is just amazing.
Abso-friggin'-lutely!!! The City that NEVER sleeps!!! The sights...the sounds....nothing like it anywhere! And if you're looking for something to do......you'll find it there! And if you're a people watcher......you'll overload your circuits!!! Times Square at night.....AWESOME!!!

ny ny what a town
Until you've experienced it....you haven't experienced it! Not like Chicago.....LA....Vegas......Atlanta.....none of them or there kind! NYC is uniquely NYC!

I'll probably be there in July......staying at The Presidential on 48th west of Broadway. Might take in a few shows.....“Tale of Two Cities” is produced by a guy that was born, raised, and schooled here in my area, and he's taking us on a back-stage tour. Lots of other great shows available too!

Back
Top Bottom