Stepdad's truck was almost hit by a plane during emergency landing on 135 in Kansas

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If anyone out there hears anything about this, including the condition of the pilot and passengers, please let me know

My stepdad called to calm down after it happened. I guess this plane was heading south as he headed north in his flatbed semi. The plane came within 20 feet of his truck, crashing on the same side of the highway he was travelling on!! He says he could see their faces and it's making him sick. Best he could tell, it didnt roll or catch fire, and of course he called 911 immediately.

Just thought I'd share the crazy tale!

KWCH says that on on board are fine.

Jeesh, what a scare!

I've wondered about this. Will a plane make an emergency landing on a highway if there is no chance to alert the drivers (as in the movie US Marshalls)?

I've wondered about this. Will a plane make an emergency landing on a highway if there is no chance to alert the drivers (as in the movie US Marshalls)?

hmm. falling out of the sky. options are houses, forest, big wide road. prolly gonna pick the road. (soloed in gliders - think we were always supposed to have at least three potential landing sites - fields and such - but sailplanes have better hang time than prop planes - pilot prolly made his best choice at the very short time)

As calmoki says, roads are a frequently chosen option. It's safer than one might think at first, as most light planes have landing speeds close to highway speeds--if the plane is going slightly faster, the cars he overflies will certainly see the airplane as he passes overhead and get on the binders. If the plane lands slower than the cars, the cars will see him as they approach and likewise slow down. The biggest problem is over-running cars after touching down.

The wide median of an interstate can also be a good choice.

Lots of folks guess that ditching in the water would be a good option (because it is "soft"). Nope--water landings frequently end badly. It's usually a very sudden stop, and then the gurgling starts.

My father was a pilot, and had an interesting story of flying a plane to Reading, Pa. for repairs, and landing (at the airport, thankfully) on fire.

When the choices are "bad" "real bad" and "will kill you", you try and land at "bad"

(Roads are a little less sucky if one has a high-wing plane - different story, different person.)

I'm happy to hear that all concerned are ok.

ta,
mews

i just got off the phone with him again and he gave me more details. he isnt one to exaggerate much, and he swears the underbelly of this plane was 10-15 ft above his truck, banked hard, and touched down no more than 30 ft behind the tail end of his truck, but in the opposite (southbound) lane. he said he saw the landing gear snap right off and sparks fly as the plane bounced around....

he's still understandably shaken up,but thankful nobody was hurt. he feels obligated to call this pilot at some point to speak with him...he claims it was just his truck and this plane...no cars for a few hundred yards in any direction....

turns out the pilot didnt switch the fuel tank switch fully, and once the engine quit, he couldnt restart it. he admits he caused the accident by not fully flipping the switch

Lots of folks guess that ditching in the water would be a good option (because it is "soft"). Nope--water landings frequently end badly. It's usually a very sudden stop, and then the gurgling starts.

My flight instructor told me that at flying speeds the only difference between water and concrete is that water is wetter.

Back
Top Bottom