safety of accessing accounts on public wireless

simple girl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Site Team
I know this has been discussed before, so I apologize for the repeat question. Is it safe to access your accounts and make transactions via the free wireless that is offerred in a hotel room (via my own laptop)?

I'm familiar with computers, but not a computer geek, so when I read over other emails on this my eyes kinda glazed over. :p Would someone mind educating me on this in layman's terms?

The security should be on your browser and laptop level. So if your browser is secured (128-bit encryption) and you laptop have firewall, then you should be fine.

Also do you have any security software installed, such as Norton or McAfee? These softwares provide an extra level of protection on top of the ones mentioned above.

Also turn-off any auto-completion feature in your browser

The security should be on your browser and laptop level. So if your browser is secured (128-bit encryption) and you laptop have firewall, then you should be fine.

Also do you have any security software installed, such as Norton or McAfee? These softwares provide an extra level of protection on top of the ones mentioned above.

Also turn-off any auto-completion feature in your browser

I have Internet Explorer and under the Security tab it is set for "Medium-High". In terms of encryption, the sites I would go to would have the https and security lock noted - is that what you are referring to?

Regarding firewall, I assumed it was on, but eeeks that was a bad assumption. Somehow it had been turned off. I have no idea how. I turned it back on.

I have Norton. How do I turn off the auto-completion feature?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Not an expert here, but while I wouldn't worry too much about https:// type transmission, you should be aware of things like keystroke logging, leaving open windows with login information viewable, etc.. My friend in IT tells me that the biggest risk is in shared computers serving transient users (e.g. internet cafes) where such snooping could be pre-meditated and just sitting in ambush.

In that sense, hand-helds may be safer than computers (no sharing with others). I try to do my sensitive transactions from a computer I know well, mostly from home.

Not an expert here, but while I wouldn't worry too much about https:// type transmission, you should be aware of things like keystroke logging, leaving open windows with login information viewable, etc.. My friend in IT tells me that the biggest risk is in shared computers serving transient users (e.g. internet cafes) where such snooping could be pre-meditated and just sitting in ambush.

In that sense, hand-helds may be safer than computers (no sharing with others). I try to do my sensitive transactions from a computer I know well, mostly from home.

Isn't keystroke logging where they have some kind of device inside the computer that records what you type, and then later they retrieve it from that computer? If so, I should be safe from that if I am using my own laptop - no? (Same thing with leaving an open browser page from your last login - ok if you close the browser, and it is your own laptop - more of a risk if it is a public computer...right??) Sounds like that is what you are saying, but I want to make very sure I understand!

Isn't keystroke logging where they have some kind of device inside the computer that records what you type, and then later they retrieve it from that computer? If so, I should be safe from that if I am using my own laptop - no?
Yes. The keystroke logging risk is on untrusted computers.

I have Internet Explorer and under the Security tab it is set for "Medium-High". In terms of encryption, the sites I would go to would have the https and security lock noted - is that what you are referring to?

Regarding firewall, I assumed it was on, but eeeks that was a bad assumption. Somehow it had been turned off. I have no idea how. I turned it back on.

I have Norton. How do I turn off the auto-completion feature?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Newer IE version is 128-bit, but to be safe, go to Help --> About Internet Explorer --> Look at Cypher Strength. It should say 128-bit, if not upgrade your IE

About AutoCompletion, go to Tools --> Content --> AutoComplete, uncheck Forms AND User Names and Password. This is basically a cache, if somehow, a phishing scripts manage to penetrate your other defenses, at least it won't find anything important like your user names or password. The drawback is that you have to remember all user names and passwords for all the sites you've registered on. So it's your call. Most financial institutions don't allow auto-completion features on their login page, some do

If you use other browsers, such as Mozilla or Firefox, they have anti-phishing script add-on. I don't know about IE. I don't use IE much

I know this has been discussed before, so I apologize for the repeat question. Is it safe to access your accounts and make transactions via the free wireless that is offerred in a hotel room (via my own laptop)?

I don't use a free hotel wireless to access my bank or Vanguard account on my laptop, even with Norton. Never. I didn't even do this during my recent Gustav evacuation.

Apparently I am overly cautious! But at least I know my money is safe.

I do access these accounts using my home wireless connection, which is well secured.

Yes. The keystroke logging risk is on untrusted computers.

I have to disagree. Keystroke logging can happen on any PC... even your own. Here's how...

Let's say you download a new game for your kids, software application, or other "program file". Unless you get it from a "trusted site"... there could be a trojan included with the program/game/etc that installs and begins logging your keystrokes. Those keystroke logging programs will send it's findings to servers setup to capture these log files which may include your User ID's, passwords and other personally identifiable information.

In addition to all the other helpful advice posted in this thread, I would encourage folks to only run programs/games/etc from "trusted sites". Also, be sure to scan your pc regularly (at least weekly) with one of the major antivirus applications (Norton, McAfee, Grisoft, etc).

Be safe out there!

I agree 100% with chinaco about using the wire. Much safer.

Want2Retire, if your connection is secure (https) you really don't have anything to worry about. Account information gets stolen from the server (bank or company) side, not the client side. There is always the faint possibility of a logger or rootkit sending your info out to some crook, but if so it would happen from your home too. Not telling you to do anything you would be uncomfortable with, but there's no real reason not to use hotel networks.

As others have already said you should be safe if your connection is over https (SSL). However, there is another step you should take to verify the identity of the site you are connected to. In order to check, just click on the little lock in the lower corner of the browser and look at the SSL Certificate. You should probably start checking certificates from home so that you can get a feeling for what's in them.

In general I assume that my browsing traffic is not secure when I am connected over a network that isn't trusted. I avoid logging into banks and doing internet transactions in this case. When this isn't practical, check the certificates and you should be OK.

My family & I have been living in a hotel (Holiday Inn Express) for the last 2 months following our move to Wisconsin. We're moving into a rental home tomorrow. I've been doing all of our banking, bill paying & other business from my room, on my own desktop computer which I brought with me & set up on the hotel's wireless system. I tried to get the wired system to work, but could never make it function right, and nobody at the hotel seems to know much about it. Hopefully I won't log on one day soon to find my accounts drained and all my credit maxed out lol! That could really put a put a damper on our plans to retire in 4 yrs.

Back
Top Bottom