Does the "Bogleheads guide to Investing" book have an error in it?

dessert

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am reading the latest version of "Bogleheads guide to Investing". On page 132 it says that the 401K contribution limits for 2008 are $16,000 with $6,000 for "catch up" limits for us over 50. I was really surprised to see this because I have already been limited at $20,500 for the year (401K with Fidelity). I doubt Fidelity would make a mistake on this but I will call them tomorrow to make sure. If this is true then I still have time to add more.
I am thinking that the Bogleheads book just had an error in it's information.
Other than that, I recommend the book to others. I know it is basic but if that is what you are looking for this is a pretty good source of investing information.

Pretty sure the 2008 limit is $15,500. I'm not positive what the catch-up is, but I think it's $5k . . . so your $20,500 seems right to me.

That sounds like one of those things the $10 per hour fact checker is supposed to catch but can't be bothered with.

Pretty sure the 2008 limit is $15,500. I'm not positive what the catch-up is, but I think it's $5k . . . so your $20,500 seems right to me.

Yes, I agree because I have more faith in Fidelity to know the limits.
I wouldn't mind putting more in though.....pre-tax. :duh:

oooohhh, a research question...my fave ;)

Glad I was able to help you! :D
Thanks for the info too. Looks like I can add an additional $1500 next year and the year after that. That's as far as my planning goes. Then it will be time for "dessert" after this meal. :LOL:

Glad I was able to help you! :D
Thanks for the info too. Looks like I can add an additional $1500 next year and the year after that. That's as far as my planning goes. Then it will be time for "dessert" after this meal. :LOL:
the amount of info to be found at the all search results (2nd link) would be like eating 3 kinds of pie right after thanskgiving dinner. urk!

YW for the info. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom