How would you invest a lottery winning of $10,000,000?

FANOFJESUS

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I would invest in short term tax exempt bonds paying about 3.2%. Any better ideas out there? Would there be a need to move to a tax free state or would tax exempt bonds slove that problem?

probably t-bills

maybe play dangerous and buy some GE or VZ stock

A nice chunk of land, say 500 acres, a compound (with bunker), lots of guns and ammo, solar/wind/alternate off grid energy, and some farming equipment/livestock.

The rest in Tbills

Zero coupons, in honor of the greatest guru of all time, Suze Orman.......:)

No help here...

I wouldn't care if it grew at all if I won $10 million dollars.

Seriously.

I would invest in short term tax exempt bonds paying about 3.2%. Any better ideas out there? Would there be a need to move to a tax free state or would tax exempt bonds slove that problem?

Tax exempt sounds good. With all that money it would be easy to set up your primary residence in an income tax free State. Don't know how AMT might figure in here though. I think the type of muni you buy.

Yeah I don't think I'd have much of a need to grow principle either with that much of a wad.

Tax exempt sounds good. With all that money it would be easy to set up your primary residence in an income tax free State. Don't know how AMT might figure in here though. I think the type of muni you buy.

Buy non-AMT muni issues only.

Invest? You gotta be kidding. If ever there would be a time to learn how to spend. Never mind, I'm on the wrong forum for that.

I'll tell you how to invest your millions if you give me 10%...

If someone handed me $10,000,000 (I presume after taxes), to me the income would be far less important than making sure it was in something rock-solid but also well diversified.

So, I would probably put considerable chunks in treasuries, tips, real estate, Wellesley, CD's, and so on. I might buy an apartment building and hire someone reliable to manage it for me. I might buy some laundromats and do the same. When selecting investments I would think less about the after tax yield, and more about how rock solid reliable it would be and how it would add to my diversification.

I'd invest a quarter of it in non-profits I support, a quarter in my own investments using the same types of investments I now have and half of it in a MM waiting for tax day:(

I'm not crazy about state finances these days so I'm not sure I'd want to trust my $10MM to the muni's. I'd go with TIPs and pay the taxes. Maybe a little fun money in equities.

Aren't those large lottery wins paid out over 20 years?

So a 10,000,000 win would actually be $500,000 per year less taxes you'd have to figure out how to live & invest on.

Heck, I'd probably just max out my IRA's for the year & blow the rest on travel & fun.

When it runs out in 20 years I'd live off the IRA's.

Aren't those large lottery wins paid out over 20 years?

In Ohio it is either paid over 26 years or as a (discounted) lump sum.

So a 10,000,000 win would actually be $500,000 per year less taxes you'd have to figure out how to live & invest on.

Heck, I'd probably just max out my IRA's for the year & blow the rest on travel & fun.

When it runs out in 20 years I'd live off the IRA's.

Physical Gold and Real Estate . . . I could tolerate the swings, and I could enjoy a modest lifestyle when Big Macs cost $10.

I'm not crazy about state finances these days so I'm not sure I'd want to trust my $10MM to the muni's. I'd go with TIPs and pay the taxes. Maybe a little fun money in equities.

That's a good point I think all of them but 12 are in the red.

My smart ass version - at ten mil you are at the low end bragging wise but:

get a lawyer, form a foundation, buy Vanguard Balanced Index, VBINX,(the infamous 60/40 policy portfolio) hire yourself(at a good salary, benefits and expense account) to travel and give away 5% per year.

Or if you are a really cheap sort:)rolleyes: :D) like me - buy the tax managed version. VTMFX, and party til you puke.

heh heh heh - and if you like the mysterious 'value premium' - pssst Wellesley, pay your taxes and party on.

Then there is - buy a cheap mansion with a thirty year mortgage, live there 2 years, fix and flip, and repeat. I mean we gotta give the RE cats some respect.

I think I would take up smoking dope and looking at how big the pile was about every year.

do you adopt? >:D
i would use half of it to buy up as much undeveloped land as i could up here in East Nowhere NY, set aside some $ for property taxes, hold it for 10 years, then sell it in 5 acre parcels to rich people from NYC and NJ and LI.
the other half? can you say SQUANDER fast 3x ? :D

Back
Top Bottom