Is it just me, or are you also seeing...

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
...and hearing more people who had previously been committed to buying and holding, people who were committed to hang on to eventually get their losses back, throwing in the towel and surrendering?

Seems like everywhere I turn, I'm starting to hear a lot more of that. I wasn't hearing that as recently as two weeks ago. But since last Tuesday, the incessant water torture decline seems to be setting many people over the brink. I think many of them sense it will be a terrible long-term decision...but they just can't take it any more.

My FIRE'd parents are not changing anything drastically - hanging in there. We just discussed this last night. All is well - could be better, but they planned well.

Seems like everywhere I turn, I'm starting to hear a lot more of that. I wasn't hearing that as recently as two weeks ago. But since last Tuesday, the incessant water torture decline seems to be setting many people over the brink. I think many of them sense it will be a terrible long-term decision...but they just can't take it any more.

This is what a bear market does - it wipes the table clean of all the old adages.

It is a good sign that all the buy and holders say they are getting out.

Hard to stomach that you're planning to live on 4% annually and then see the markets drop that much week after week. Hard to imagine how long they will take to recover.

...and hearing more people who had previously been committed to buying and holding, people who were committed to hang on to eventually get their losses back, throwing in the towel and surrendering?

Or maybe they are making the right decision :D But yes I have notice an increase in what you are talking about.

Not buying and not selling. I think the market has a way to go yet to reach bottom. Since I actually have a higher percentage of my net worth in real estate (home and rental) I'm actually more worried about the housing market. I don't think it's reached the bottom yet either.

This is what a bear market does - it wipes the table clean of all the old adages.

It is a good sign that all the buy and holders say they are getting out.

Been thru a few since 1966. Give the current 'unpleasantness' another 5 to 10 years and we'll be down to the true believers plus by then rental RE may be back as an effective competitor/ alternate/ diversifier.

Heaven help us if we turn back the clock to guns, gold and freeze dryed food/collectibles - coins/dated wine/singlemalt scotch/art/etc/ etc.

Never fun - especially if people with pesky spreadsheets start calculating that you are not keeping up with inflation - dividend/interest wise.

Target Retirement 2015 = 3.8% (me).

pssst Wellesley = 5.8%

heh heh heh - :cool: Try and calculate where you should be theory wise for your point in the accumulation/distribution cycle and stock/bond/cash mix and ala Bogle - stay the course. Or take Henry Fonda's line in The Longest Day - if you have landed on the wrong beach - move inland!

:D. And the boys at the doughnut shop say the Saint's play the Chiefs next - could be a long dreary football season for both - BUT wait til next year - yep just you wait - you'll see.

Who and where are these people? Most here seem to be holding tight. I don't know enough other people who are interested in investing to have broader information.

Ha

Have seen it on several boards.

Buy high, sell low; that always works.

Then we will never have a bottom. Please get out.

Every one will know the end has occurred if I suffer an Intervention by family and friends and go to Treatment for football addiction.

That's when you HELOC the farm and buy stocks hand over fist.

heh heh heh - meanwhile rumor has it the Pat's are a good football team. :cool:.

There was a recent WSJ article with the idea that "capitulation" more often happens when people just kind of give up and walking away out of frustration then some big cataclysmic sell off accompanied by a very high VIX reading.

Hard to stomach that you're planning to live on 4% annually and then see the markets drop that much week after week. Hard to imagine how long they will take to recover.

Funny thing though. Although my assets are down, their yields are up and my expected portfolio income is about the same as it was before.

Last Thursday a 70-year-old friend, who has been retired about 15 years, told me he's getting out of stocks. If his current investments earn NO future interest, he and wife can maintain their current lifestyle for another 10 years. Plus, they have a small rental house that can be sold some day. He's worried that the market will be dead longer than he will be alive.
My take is, "possible but not likely". OTOH, if he's right...

Last Thursday a 70-year-old friend, who has been retired about 15 years, told me he's getting out of stocks. If his current investments earn NO future interest, he and wife can maintain their current lifestyle for another 10 years. Plus, they have a small rental house that can be sold some day. He's worried that the market will be dead longer than he will be alive.
My take is, "possible but not likely". OTOH, if he's right...

I don't understand why he would use the scenario of no interest at all? Paltry though it may be, isn't 3 or 4% still something that would make his investments last longer than the 10 years he feels they will last with no interest?

That is a good sign, but the problem for you guys is I'm still in the market.:) The market will do nothing as long as I'm holding. That's just the way it is. After all, I am the born loser. So anyone expecting to recoup their losses while I'm still alive, your SOL. Now, where is my nightly medicine?
img_746678_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

. hearing more people who had previously been committed to buying and holding, people who were committed to hang on to eventually get their losses back, throwing in the towel and surrendering?
No.

This forum is the only place where I can get my "financial fix". Most people I know simply do not talk about investments or their portfolios. When I attempt to discuss current financial issues, their eyes glaze over. I just let it go....:p

Back
Top Bottom