Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Travel Information (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/)
-   -   Travel - Bad Economy, Strong USD, Good Deals (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/travel-bad-economy-strong-usd-good-deals-40846.html)

chinaco 11-26-2008 03:53 AM

Travel - Bad Economy, Strong USD, Good Deals

DW and I will do our part for the US economy. We will take a Domestic vacation.

However, International travel is beginning to look like it will be a bargain in the near future.

• The USD has strengthened.
  • The Economy will force the Leisure Industry will cut prices to entice travelers
  • Oil/Fuel prices will go down (transportation expenses). Fuel surcharges will be coming off.
  • Airlines are apparently no filling the reduced capacity
  • Some Foreign Govs will create incentives to entice travelers.
I have noticed that cruise prices are down.

Anyone looking into international travel in the next 6-12 months?

Gumby 11-26-2008 04:55 AM

We are planning to go to Sicily for a week in February. I expect we will rent a car and travel on our own around the island.

chinaco 11-26-2008 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 752996)
We are planning to go to Sicily for a week in February. I expect we will rent a car and travel on our own around the island.

Gumby - A few place I have been that are fantastic:

• Mount Etna (live Volcano) - Ski and/or site see
  • Siracusa - Created by the Corinthians then later settled by the Greeks
  • Taromina - Greek and Roman Ruins
  • Palermo - OK... but would be a bit lower on my list if I revisit.

There are many more places that I did not visit.

What sites are you planning to visit?

simple girl 11-26-2008 05:26 AM

We got a good deal on a long weekend cruise for this Thanksgiving weekend to Cozumel. Leaving tomorrow - woo-hoo!

chinaco 11-26-2008 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simple girl (Post 752999)
We got a good deal on a long weekend cruise for this Thanksgiving weekend to Cozumel. Leaving tomorrow - woo-hoo!

Did the cruise company tack-on the fuel surcharge? The last one I looked at still included a fuel surcharge that was a sizable % of the cost of the low-cost cabins.

Still the deals were pretty good. ;D

simple girl 11-26-2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaco (Post 753002)
Did the cruise company tack-on the fuel surcharge? The last one I looked at still included a fuel surcharge that was a sizable % of the cost of the low-cost cabins.

Still the deals were pretty good. ;D

Yes, still had the fuel surcharge, $36 per person. All in all, though, IMO, a good deal, especially when you consider it is travel over Thanksgiving weekend. We got an oceanview cabin for $230, port tax $99, govt tax $24, fuel $36 (all per person, for a 5 night trip over the holidays). I've certainly seen cheaper, but not for a long holiday weekend.

chinaco 11-26-2008 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simple girl (Post 753012)
Yes, still had the fuel surcharge, $36 per person. All in all, though, IMO, a good deal, especially when you consider it is travel over Thanksgiving weekend. We got an oceanview cabin for $230, port tax $99, govt tax $24, fuel $36 (all per person, for a 5 night trip over the holidays). I've certainly seen cheaper, but not for a long holiday weekend.

That is a good deal. The least we have paid is $299 (several years back).

Have one of those fancy umbrella drinks at the pool. :)

simple girl 11-26-2008 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaco (Post 753014)
That is a good deal. The least we have paid is $299 (several years back).

Have one of those fancy umbrella drinks at the pool. :)

Will do, in fact I think we'll have a few! Yippee! ;D;D;D

dex 11-26-2008 07:09 AM

I'm going to look into RVing in Europe - Italy first.

freebird5825 11-26-2008 07:16 AM

we will pay the full balance due in April 09 for a 12 day Mediterranean in July, planned for over a year now. this will be our pre-ceremony honeymoon while we are still young enough to do 10 ports in 12 days. :o
and yes, we got a balcony. ;D

FinanceDude 11-26-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebird5825 (Post 753037)
we will pay the full balance due in April 09 for a 12 day Mediterranean in July, planned for over a year now. this will be our pre-ceremony honeymoon while we are still young enough to do 10 ports in 12 days. :o
and yes, we got a balcony. ;D

Glad to see you are partying BEFORE marriage, sounds like the right thing to do.........:D:D

FUEGO 11-26-2008 09:41 AM

We recently booked a 7 night cruise to the Bahamas (sailing in 2 weeks). Something like $350-400 a person all fees included. And that is for an outside cabin (with ocean view). Fuel surcharge was still tacked on for $77 per person, but they obviously lowered their base fare significantly to ameliorate the fuel surcharge.

So we are doing our part to prop up the Bahamian economy. Those poor Bahamians... ;)

Gumby 11-29-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaco (Post 752998)

We are preliminarily planning on flying to Palermo, then driving to Taormina, Siracusa, Agrigento and back to Palermo, which should be a circumnavigation of the island if my map is correct. I am very much interested in the historical sites, ruins, etc. The young wife is much more into food and culture. So any suggestions in either area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gumby

catdance62 11-30-2008 11:20 AM

We are headed to Mazatlan, Mexico on Christmas Day--the exchange is 13 pesos to the dollar--the best in a long long time! Yippee!!

ziggy29 12-01-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catdance62 (Post 754500)
We are headed to Mazatlan, Mexico on Christmas Day--the exchange is 13 pesos to the dollar--the best in a long long time! Yippee!!

Wow. When we were there it was usually about 10 to 1.

This is a great time to travel if you have a stable, recession-proof income stream. Hopefully I'll be able to take advantage of that sort of thing some day.

Achiever51 12-01-2008 02:17 PM

DH and I are joining some friends on a seven night southern Caribbean cruise in February. Signed up for an oceanview cabin, got upgraded to a balcony cabin -- saved about $1000. Doing our part for the travel biz....

mh 12-02-2008 03:00 PM

there's a rick steves sicily episode that was interesting as i recall
that might be worth ordering the dvd for..

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaco (Post 752998)

Gumby 12-02-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mh (Post 755274)
there's a rick steves sicily episode that was interesting as i recall
that might be worth ordering the dvd for..

I'm not familiar with Rick Steves, but I'll try to look it up. Thanks.

tinaweha 12-05-2008 03:01 PM

Rick Steves has great tours. I like the one-city tours because I hate motor-coaches (bus). If you don't want to take his tours, try the guidebooks. I once gave a bunch of tourists an impromtu tour of Tallinn, Estonia. I was reading to my husband and a bunch of strangers started following me. If you are in the Seattle area the Rick Steves people will put an itinerary together for you for fifty bucks an hour, which sounds like a lot, but I don't want my ex-corporate husband to freak if things aren't all planned out like marching orders. You can also see a bit of info on his dvd's (if you are on netflix, just rent from them.)

chinaco 12-06-2008 04:49 AM

I am beginning to see lower cost airfares.