leftovers,what to do.

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
My usual routine is turkey soup the day after,then a turkey wok dish the day after that then a turkey pot pie after that. but i need some inspiration for something new to do with left over turkey,any ideas?

DW made big pot of Turkey "broth" from the skeleton of the Turkey we ate at my DD home yesterday. She then divides it up and freezes it. I suspect we will be eating it until the Forth of July.

She eventually will make "Pancakes" out of the turkey and stuffing scraps.

The way she uses it all up I am really glad they do not send the heads and feet with the Turkeys.

How about turkey tettrazzini? YOu can go on allrecipes.com for ideas.

Last edited:
We cut back on the sides this year as son is spending a few days away from home. One of the cuts was the Waldorf Salad. So, on Monday I will chop a couple of apples and some celery and stir in some toasted walnuts and some nice grapes with some Miracle Whip and of course some diced Turkey then serve on a bed of chopped Romaine Lettuce for a tasty dinner. Very easy and way different than the hot leftover combos and casseroles or sandwich combos.

My Mom usually makes up a batch of gumbo with some of the leftover turkey....she used to throw the carcass in too, but usually skips that part these days...it was supposed to add a little extra something to the taste, but seemingly only added a little extra work to it. Throw in some sausage and/or pork scraps....basically a dish to clean out some leftovers from the frij.

Back when my Dad was alive, he used to make up a big ol' batch of [-]chicken[/-] turkey 'n' bisquits with some of the leftovers.

And don't forget to have that bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce and/or Tabasco on the table to 'flavor' it up a bit! AAAAiiiiiii-EEeeee!

Sliced turkey freezes well. We'll use the turkey broth for various soups (not turkey soup).

We'll have open-faced turkey sandwich tonight, plus regular turkey sandwiches for several lunches.

I going to freeze the turkey and duck carcases for later use. Sent the ham bone home with my sister who will cook a pot of beans with it. The standing rib left overs went home with Mom and Dad to deal with.
I bought a stack of those Glad containers and told the guest to take what they wanted home with them which really cut down on the left overs I had to deal with.

turkey chili, no beans (beware the double gaseous emissions >:D)
turkey chili over rice, all covered with cheddar cheese in a casserole
turkey tacos or fajitas
turkey, bacon, tomato and cheese (layered in that order) on bread or bun, toasted openfaced in broiler
turkey noodle soup

Start with a bit of oil and make a dish of fried rice (or other leftover starch) and leftover greens and throw in a bit of chopped turkey (or other meat).

i've always found turkey gumbo a good alternative to turkey soup.

My usual routine is turkey soup the day after,then a turkey wok dish the day after that then a turkey pot pie after that. but i need some inspiration for something new to do with left over turkey,any ideas?

Turkey a la king is good, but you usually make a turkey pot pie. It might not be different enough from what you usually do to qualify as "something new".

My Mom usually makes up a batch of gumbo with some of the leftover turkey....she used to throw the carcass in too, but usually skips that part these days...it was supposed to add a little extra something to the taste, but seemingly only added a little extra work to it. Throw in some sausage and/or pork scraps....basically a dish to clean out some leftovers from the frij.

Back when my Dad was alive, he used to make up a big ol' batch of [-]chicken[/-] turkey 'n' bisquits with some of the leftovers.

And don't forget to have that bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce and/or Tabasco on the table to 'flavor' it up a bit! AAAAiiiiiii-EEeeee!

On the stove as I post - the carcass is in - and I have a bottle of(LSU) Tiger Sauce 3/4 left. Will have it the second day - to allow everything to come together.

heh heh heh - :D

Shepard pie.
Petri pie dish buttered. First layer is the stuffing, second layer is the turkey, third layer is the mashed potatoes and gravy on top. cover with foil and bake for 40 mins. at 350*.

My So takes the leftover turkey and makes barbecue . Actually he will make barbecue out of any available meat . I've seen him eyeing the cat food a few times .

My So takes the leftover turkey and makes barbecue . Actually he will make barbecue out of any available meat . I've seen him eyeing the cat food a few times .

We hope not the cat.

Made a salad tonight with breast meat,carrots,romaine and Gruyere/swiss combo. The dressing was a nice Dijon vinaigrette with some chipolte peppers. The only thing left is the carcass for soup!

All this carcass talk makes me want to try a vegetarian diet.......

We hope not the cat.
uh oh...a memory cell fired...when i lived on campus freshman year, one of the frequently served dinners at the meal halls was veal parmesan. my roommates were education and theatre people (mental zip code = clouds). i would play wierd scientist and treat them to subtle musings about how the cat population hanging around the dumpsters seemed a little thin that night. one girl spat her food out. :D they actually believed me.

Back
Top Bottom