Roth Conversion Question

DoubleDown

Dryer sheet aficionado
Simple IRA conversion question that I can't find the answer to...

I contribute $100 into a traditional non deductible IRA and buy a stock. Over the years the stock price stays exactly the same but I reinvest $10 into the account through dividend reinvestment. Come 2010 and I want to convert this to a Roth IRA...what is my cost basis ($100 or $110)? Thanks. :D

I contribute $100 into a traditional non deductible IRA and buy a stock. Over the years the stock price stays exactly the same but I reinvest $10 into the account through dividend reinvestment. Come 2010 and I want to convert this to a Roth IRA...what is my cost basis ($100 or $110)? Thanks. :D

See your form 8606 for the basis. Assuming you have been filing that with your taxes over the years.

Rita

Still $100, assuming that's the only traditional IRA you have. If you have other traditional IRAs then the cost basis has to be prorated. Say you have another IRA with $1,000 in it but no basis (money came 401k rollover). You are converting 110 / (1000 + 110) = 9.91%. The cost basis for this conversion is $100 * 9.91% = $9.91.

$100. Ideally you filed the Form 8606 with this number on it when you did your taxes that year.

You've already paid taxes on the $100, but you haven't paid taxes on the $10 of dividends.

See your form 8606 for the basis. Assuming you have been filing that with your taxes over the years.
I was advised once by a CPA about a Roth conversion: "Stop asking complicated questions for a few minutes and just plug through the Form 8606. Then you'll understand what they're asking you to do."

Thank you...

Thank you all for your help. It makes sense now. BTW, Nords that quote pretty much hits the nail on the head...mahalo.

DD

Back
Top Bottom