TaxACT: Online vs. Download

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Any reason to use the online version of TaxAct instead of the download version? Only advantages I see are $3 less (16.95 vs. 19.95 for the fed + state), and the ability to do your return from different computers.

-----------

Never mind -- the download version is obviously better for me at least -- I want everything stored locally.

Not really. Maybe save some time for downloading and installing software on your computer. But if you use online, you have to be comfortable with putting your tax data online with a provider. I'm not.

I use the online version since 2 years. I see 2 advantages:
- It keeps your data online so next year you don't have to input personal data and last years taxes
- You can work on different computers without having to install the program and carrying your data around.
Works for me. And yes, it is cheaper. They actually send you an email in fall of each year. If you sign up (without commitment) they take an additional $3 (I believe) off. So my total for federal and state and electronic filing is $12.95.

Agree with above comments. And I forgot how nice it is to log in, and just update a few numbers. When I did that with TurboTax, I'd have to wait for the new updates to download and install. What a pain.

Also, the online version supports MAc and Linux - all you need is a web browser.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom