"Survival Panic"

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Withdrawal symptoms from a lifetime of consumer spending are predicted to get ugly according to these guys. Although I'm not sure how much credibility we should give to a mental health facility with the name "Moonview Sanctuary"...

In the coming months, mental health experts expect a rise in theft, depression, drug use, anxiety and even violence as consumers confront a harsh new reality and must live within diminished means.

"People start seeing their economic situation change, and it stimulates a sort of survival panic," said Gaetano Vaccaro, deputy clinical director of Moonview Sanctuary, which treats patients for emotional and behavioral disorders.

"When we are in a survival panic, we are prone to really extreme behaviors."

Downturn spurs survival panic for some | U.S. | Reuters

Well, we know a lot of addictions result in withdrawal symptoms when one quits cold turkey. I guess affluenza is no different.

As for "Moonview Sanctuary," why am I conjuring up an image of people turning around, bending over and pulling their pants down before my eyes?

And to think poor Ms. Rosenberg has to wear last year's $100 boots this winter, instead of buying the new fashion this year. How do people cope?

I think the article is right on.

One of my relative's standard of living was drastically reduced a few years ago. First she went through a period of denial: it's only temporary, everything will work out in the end, somehow money will come into my life when I need it etc... Then it was anger: why is this happening to me? I don't deserve this. Who, beside me, is responsible for my current situation? Then it was, how can I take advantage of people to further my own situation: she would "invite" us for dinner at a nice restaurant and let us pay her bill because we "could afford it", and she would constantly complain to people until they felt sorry for her and offered to help. Then, once she realized that this wasn't temporary, it was partly HER fault, and taking advantage of other people is a pretty crummy thing to do, she went into a depression. She only got out of the funk when she started embracing her new lifestyle and stopped focusing on what she had lost.

Hmm, no wonder new jail cells have been added to my p.d.

This time of year can be very depressing for some people, but this depression usually stems from loneliness, not from new gadget anxiety.

Imagine people having to play with their kids instead of buying them a new video game. Perhaps trying a new recipe instead of eating out or going to the library and checking a book out instead of buying one. Or taking a walk in their neighborhood in lieu of purchasing new exercise equipment.

John Lennon we need you now....

one of the reasons i stay away from stores, malls, huge sales etc is the unruly and glazed eye behavior of the shopping mob.
i don't scare easily, but people's behavior while chasing after material things has given me some real pause.
i've been bumped by carts, elbowed out of the way, glared at. :eek:
the other reason is those d*mn loudspeakers blaring.:rant:

As for "Moonview Sanctuary," why am I conjuring up an image of people turning around, bending over and pulling their pants down before my eyes?
I was doing some Christmas shopping for myself last night....checking out some HO (1/87 scale) steam locomotives....and came across a set of 4 HO scale "Mooners". What will they think of next? Earlier this year I came across 1/87 "cow patties"....no sh*t....well, OK..yes, sh*t!

Attachments

• BLMA-4900 Figures - People Mooning 4-Pack - HO Scale.gif
    BLMA-4900 Figures - People Mooning 4-Pack - HO Scale.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 165
Earlier this year I came across 1/87 "cow patties"....no sh*t....well, OK..yes, sh*t!
What field would that project be assigned to? Agricultural sciences? Civil engineering? Materials researchers?

And you know there'd be a DIY'er in there somewhere...

You know you need them for your train set, right?

Mooning Amtrak Trains, Southern California USA

Authenticity and all that....
Back in the late 80's I was coming back from L.A. in a sleeper compartment on the lower level of an Amtrak train, we stopped at some town out in Kansas, and I decided to moon the folks standing on the station platform as we were leaving!

Glad I was on board, and not standing on the platform....what a sight that musta been....."Mommy, look at the man with the chubby cheeks!" :D

Imagine people having to play with their kids instead of buying them a new video game. Perhaps trying a new recipe instead of eating out or going to the library and checking a book out instead of buying one. Or taking a walk in their neighborhood in lieu of purchasing new exercise equipment.

Sacrilege! That's un-American!

Living within one's means! Oh, the insufferable injustice of it all!;)

Back
Top Bottom