Football Comment Thread

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Maybe we can put our enthusiams and comments for Holiday Football here.

Sugar Bowl-How about those Utes! Who expected that defense? Sylvester tore them up all evening.

It might have been very different had Andre Smith played at offensive tackle- anyone know what got him suspended?

I think Alalbama must have been in shock for the 1st quarter, but even after they started playing Utah dominated.

Ha

All I can say is we need to scrap the BCS system and go with a play-off system. Until we do I am boycotting future bowl games.

Most of us want a playoff system. College presidents don't. Most likely reason cash! So how do we force a playoff system. I say boycott the bowl games next year, heck boycott college football and all their advertisers. If the movement is started now, then I'll bet by next year the BCS comes up with a new playoff system. The threat to the sponsor of bowl games alone should bring it about. Would Verizon foot the bill if people wrote and said. 'If you advertise on college football it's AT&T for us.'

The Internet is a great way to start a movement. Just Googled 'boycott college football' seems like others have the same idea.

I lost interest in College football long time ago. Until they come up with a playoff system I will stick to watching the NFL playoffs and root for my team.

Go PATS....... Oh wait a minute they are not in the playoffs with an 11-5 record!!! while teams with an 8-8 records are in.

Heck even the NFL system is not perfect.

I never understood this game you call football.

If the ball is only allowed to be kicked on special rare occasions, and is mostly thrown by hand or carried about clutched to the body, why not call it runaround ball or hand ball or running ball etc. Anything but football.
Very little connection to kicking or maneuvering that oblong thingy with the feet.

In the game Americans call soccer, penalty is issued for using hands on the ball except by goalie.

Just puzzled.

If the ball is only allowed to be kicked on special rare occasions, and is mostly thrown by hand or carried about clutched to the body, why not call it runaround ball or hand ball or running ball etc. Anything but football.
Very little connection to kicking or maneuvering that oblong thingy with the feet.

In the game Americans call soccer, penalty is issued for using hands on the ball except by goalie.

Just puzzled.

Probably based on the same logic the Brits used in naming their brand of baseball after an insect...

Probably based on the same logic the Brits used in naming their brand of baseball after an insect...

Very good..... Never understood that either.
rolleyes.gif

I think that the winner of the Texas-OSU game was hoping for #2 final ranking, but Utah has a solid grasp on #2 as I see it. Of course, they probably deserve a #1 ranking with a 13-0 record, but the BCS will not allow it.

BUT...What if Florida and Oklahoma both play a mistake-filled, boring game that ends in a 3-0 score? Will anyone be tempted to vote the winner#2?

Bama basically over achieved this year. Saban did a good job to get them as far as he did. Utah deserved the win. I'm not a Bama fan so I kind of enjoyed seeing the Tide go out to sea.

Ha, it is rumored that Smith signed an agreement or received favors from a pro football agent.

I think that the winner of the Texas-OSU game was hoping for #2 final ranking, but Utah has a solid grasp on #2 as I see it. Of course, they probably deserve a #1 ranking with a 13-0 record, but the BCS will not allow it.
I don't think they have a lock on #2; in reality I don't think they have a chance even if they may be deserving of it. I think Utah finishes anywhere from #3 to #5.

I don't think the Utes can make it higher than #4 unless Texas loses (OSU has zero chance of leapfrogging Utah even if they beat Texas, IMO). I also think the voters will keep USC over Utah. That means at best Utah gets #3 (with a Texas loss). If Texas wins, it's probably the OU/UF winner at #1, Texas #2, USC #3, Utah #4 and the OU/UF loser at #5. And even here I think #4 and #5 might flip-flop.

As for a #1 ranking, there *was* precedent a couple years ago when Boise State got #1 votes for being the only remaining undefeated after beating OU. But after that I think more pressure was put on voters to drink the BCS Kool-Aid and *require* them to pick the MNC winner as #1.

I watch only one football game per year - Army/Navy. It is more important than any bowl game, and, if Navy wins, they could lose every other game and it still would be a successful season in my book.

I watch only one football game per year - Army/Navy. It is more important than any bowl game, and, if Navy wins, they could lose every other game and it still would be a successful season in my book.
Well, by that standard Navy's had a LOT of successful seasons lately.

Yes they have [insert gloating emoticon here].

Ha, it is rumored that Smith signed an agreement or received favors from a pro football agent.

I see, that makes sense. Took nerve to sit him out, and it may have cost them the game. I think the line with him was pretty much a sack-stopper.

RE playoffs, I kind of like the bowls. It does not disturb me at all that we cannot crown an absolute champion.

I've been watching bowls for a very long time. I remember sitting in my LR as a little boy wondering how any place could be as beautiful as Pasadena in the winter. Also all the games were played on New Years Day, and followed the sun. Another plus was there were no idiotic half-time "performances".

However, by the time the Rose Bowl rolled around thoughts of returning to school were starting to spoil my vacation. :)

Ha

Unfortunately, I have yet to watch my Buckeyes get stomped by Texas. Yes, I know ye of little faith. Maybe they will surprise me.

All I can say is we need to scrap the BCS system and go with a play-off system. Until we do I am boycotting future bowl games.

Amen!! However, I'm still rooting for my Gators. Have a good golf buddy that was QB for the Gators back in 59-60.

Just puzzled.

Soccer is really football with an occasional hand ball which has an entirely different description. Football is really becomming "throw ball" or "pass" ball which is really bridge. Now, we're getting somewhere!

RE playoffs, I kind of like the bowls. It does not disturb me at all that we cannot crown an absolute champion.

I'm with you. It's just entertainment. And even if a playoff system was established, that hardly ensures that the "best" team is the champion. With one game playoffs, the inferior team will still win from time to time due to flukes, lucky breaks, etc.

Unfortunately, I have yet to watch my Buckeyes get stomped by Texas. Yes, I know ye of little faith. Maybe they will surprise me.

Big Ten teams are never destined to win bowl games! It's just one of those facts of life you have to get used to as a Mid-westerner! :rolleyes:

And even if a playoff system was established, that hardly ensures that the "best" team is the champion. With one game playoffs, the inferior team will still win from time to time due to flukes, lucky breaks, etc.

That may be true, but that is how most of football works. Super Bowl, B 12 championship, SEC championship, Division II, and on and on. It's still about money! One excuse that use to be made was 'it would extend the season'. Well look when the BCS final game is this year. (refuse to call it the 'championship' game)

Obama says he's gonna fix it!

At least if they go with the +1 format we'll have some excitement for the championship game, outside the alums of the two teams, that is.

Yes, they are playing here in Phoenix. Our former VP and several directors are all Buckeyes. If OSU wins, I will hear about it.

Back
Top Bottom