New Year's Cautious Glee

W2R

Moderator Emeritus
The market has been doing so much better lately. Granted, it hasn't recovered and probably won't this early on, but it is what it is and with the Dow back over 9000, I am feeling a bit of optimism and cautious glee.

So, today I resumed DCA'ing into the G-Fund (government bond fund, guaranteed to never sink in share price) in my TSP.

I suspended my DCA into that fund last October, violating my financial plan due to the economic collapse. My plan has my entire TSP in G-Fund by next November, as part of the bonds in my desired asset allocation.

Anyone else noticing and enjoying this brief respite from the continual doom and gloom we have been experiencing? :D

Besides, maybe if enough people start thinking we are in a recovery, the market will soar. :D
Normally, a stock market recovery precedes an economic recovery by several months. I suppose part of that is because the stock market is a forward-looking mechanism, and part of that might be that a rallying stock market may boost consumer confidence, which could in turn spur additional economic activity.

Another item of note is that one of the first asset classes to recover from a market bottom is usually junk bonds, and they've been hot in the last couple of weeks. Whether it's a head fake or a signal remains to be seen, of course.

Normally, a stock market recovery precedes an economic recovery by several months. I suppose part of that is because the stock market is a forward-looking mechanism, and part of that might be that a rallying stock market may boost consumer confidence, which could in turn spur additional economic activity.

Another item of note is that one of the first asset classes to recover from a market bottom is usually junk bonds, and they've been hot in the last couple of weeks. Whether it's a head fake or a signal remains to be seen, of course.

I really, really hope that this is the beginnings of a recovery. Just a Dow of 9500 would make me deliriously happy.

Of course, since I went from 80% to 85% G-fund two and a half hours ago via a transfer (which will be done within 2 business days) from S&P 500, international stocks, and small cap stocks, the Dow is already 125 points down. :(

Dawg was right - - the stock gods are making me pay.

I didn't think I was engaging in market timing, but maybe I was, just a wee bit...

Last edited:
Glee from life...yes. Glee from the mkt at 9000...not so much.

I think we have a long way to go before we've got anything to be gleeful about. Hang on ...

Want2Retire, perhaps you should keep your stock purchases secret for a day or two? ;)

Coach

Currently, headed to 'negative for the year" and if it goes -250 over the ADP jobs figures what is going to happen Friday, if the jobs number is -800,000 plus? Our stock market has become totally "news oriented".

Weren't you the one who got all giddy over Dow 13,000? Hopefully you'll be able to update that thread soon.

Holy cow, no, it was 14,000. Oh, great, now Armageddon is upon us...
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/record-dow-whee-30317.html

Those were the good old days when I was feeling so rich I quit my job just as the market feel apart . I wish I had that money back I would really enjoy it but having been through this before I know how it goes . You get a little back and then you lose it and little by little you get more back but it may take a long time .

Back
Top Bottom