Site Downtime: Back up and running

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Andy may post his own message, but according to Andy
late last night he had the server admins run some maintenance scripts on the slave database server which caused some issues. The crashed tables looks like they have now been repaired.

Don't ask me what this means. :)

Here is the announcement I was going to post but Martha beat me to the punch.
I wanted to post and let you all know what the issue was and apologize for the inconvenience. Late last night I asked the server admins to perform some routing maintenance on the database. This was done very late at night when traffic to the site is at it's lowest. Although we experienced a couple glitches during the maintenance all seemed well when we checked the sites after it was done. Apparently at some point in the night a database table crashed and that caused the site not to load. We are looking into the reason this happened and hopefully will not have any more down time in the foreseeable future.

Once again my apologies for the down time and if you experience any errors or issues please report them here and we will address them ASAP.

Regards,

Andy​

...Some maintenance scripts on the slave database server caused some issues. The crashed tables looks like they have now been repaired.:)

Sounds like a lot of work--so glad to be able to post again.

This is going to be my universal excuse for everything from now, by the way--

A rough morning for ER Forum posters.

img_769795_0_d3da7fbdbaec11deac1febdb23c7a098.jpg

This is going to be my universal excuse for everything from now, by the way--
Haha, that's funny.

Maybe you might want to just flesh out what I said.
Basically we run on a database technology that many websites use called MySQL. I have a setup known as a Master/Slave which uses the Master to write our posts to and the slave for searching and retrieving the content to display. This setup works well because hard drives are kind of like record players or CD players where a mechanism slides across to write or read data. With our setup one is focused on writing and one is focused on reading which provides better input/output speeds.

We had problems with one database table on the slave server so last night (during the slow time) I asked the server admins to run a repair/optimize routine on the slave server. This is like using the defragment feature of Windows which helps organize the data on the drive so it's more organized on the hard drive. It's only something that might be done once or twice a year on the slave but is done more often on the master.

Database errors give me flashbacks from w*rk.

T-Al, those pictures you posted look like some of the stock traders I've seen these days:eek:

Database errors give me flashbacks from w*rk.
As someone who spent several years [-]in hell[/-] providing on-call 24/7 tech support for Oracle database utilities -- including database recovery tools -- this puts me into a fetal position and makes me want my mommy.

SQL stands for Squirrley query language

Back
Top Bottom