Hi, I'm hoping to retire in early 2010

powerplay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I will be eligible to retire at the end of 2009 and currently plan to stay until the first part of 2010. The retirement system I'm under is CSRS (I'm a fed) so the current stock market predicament is not a major consideration. It would be nice though for the TSP to return to some level of former glory as I do wonder about maxing out my contributions to it each year. Guess that just helps me to live on less than I make.

Retirement has been calling to me for a long time so it will be nice when it finally comes! The people I work with though tease me about coming back as a contractor after I retire which is not uncommon where I work.

I have been lurking around the forums and reading through some of the threads. This looks like a great place so I hope to jump into some of the discussions.

Welcome aboard powerplay! The waters fine. Read all around the forum, share more info and ask questions as needed.

Hi Powerplay. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts and concerns about retiring. I work for state government, and although coming back contractually is a possibility for me, too, there is a maximum amount I could earn or it could actually reduce the pension, dollar for dollar. Does a federal job have that type of limitation?

Welcome to the boards.

Many former feds (I am one) come back as contractors. I didn't even consider it.

Thanks for the welcome.

janetvj - Comig back as a contractor would not impact my retirement as a federal retiree. It sounds like you would need to do some careful planning first as a state retiree.

just wondering: if you retire & come back as a contractor, is that not retiring?!? :confused:
retiring to me would mean not working any more, or perhaps part time doing something enjoyable.
or mabey i forget that some lucky people actually enjoy their jobs & the people they work with.

If "retirement has been calling you for years", then it is unlikely you will be disappointed and go back to work. Not knowing your current situation, I can't give you individual advise. But I suggest you mentally play out how you will see yourself spending your days. Some people can get more involved in hobbies; some people need something more challenging - like joining the Peace Corps! I think most people who go back to work never give any thought to an alternative lifestyle - all they have ever done is gone to work each day.

I highly recommend you spend some time traveling. This kind of forces you to see life from a different perspective. I see where Amtrak is offering good fares on 30-day travel passes where you can travel around the entire US. I've done that several times, and it is thrilling (to me). The train offers a much more panoramic way to travel. Driving is boring.

Don't let yourself fall into a rut. The world is filled with adventure - and this is the time you can finally experience it first hand.

Welcome.

Welcome to the board. :greetings10:
I am a former FERS employee who simply pulled the proverbial plug for a deferred retirement under MRA+10 rules. I was approached by several contractor site reps just before I exited. My answer was a polite "Thanks, but I'm history". I could easily seek a position right now, and would get definitely one. Nope nope nope! :LOL:
After 26 yrs in the industry as both contractor (8 yrs) and fed (18+ yrs), it was time for a change. I can still be an Engineer with no paycheck, no deadlines, no politics, no silliness. That is sweet! :cool:
My advice is casually explore some contacts, tell them you are taking a 6 month to 1 year sabbatical, and then decide. My guess is you will never go back unless your line of work is interesting and you love/miss it.
A copy of Zelinski's "How to Retire Happy Wild and Free" might be in order while you are still w*rking.

Back
Top Bottom